Do you want a WR at 9?

GreggTX

Just now, NewEra said:

My bad again.  Oliver is terrible.  Zach Allen >>. Ed Oliver.  I know, look at the tape.  I know, look at the stats.  its just so obvious that I’m starting to think hat Allen will be taken in the top 10 and Oliver in the 2nd rd

Never said he's terrible, just comparable to a lot of other players at his position for pass rushing. While I don't think Metcalf is comparable to any of the receivers.

Hopefully this time my point is clear enough so you can stop putting words in my mouth and using sarcasm as a debate tactic. It's not clever or funny and it's not combating any points being made.

Between you and the guy saying that Zach Allen is more of a physical freak than Ed Oliver, because he’s bigger, I’m really in awe.  

I’m hanging with my wife on the couch while I read this stuff.  I don’t feel like digging up articles and stats to prove my point.  My point is well documented.  

Then you say this:

“The point is there are players in the 2nd and 3rd round that can provide what Oliver provides.  What point is this when there are several WRs 

But there are no players like Metcalf, sometimes for years. He's not just a size/speed combo. He was already considered the top WR before this past season and combine. The injury is the only reason he might be available at 9 since he was on pace for a huge year.. Meanwhile Ed Oliver was considered the best DT prior to the season and got stuck playing the zero tech getting double and triple teamed all year.  But that doesn’t mean anything to you?  Of course, it doesn’t fit your agenda.  

But Ed Oliver isn’t a physical freak https://www.google.com/amp/s/theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/28/ed-oliver-pro-day-aaron-donald-comparison-nfl-draft/amp/

40-yard dash 3-cone Short shuttle Vertical Broad Bench
Donald 4.68s 7.11s 4.39s 32″ 116″ 35 reps
Oliver 4.73s 7.15s 4.22s 36″ 120″ 32 reps

Just to put Ed Oliver’s 4.19 short-shuttle time into perspective, here’s some other notable results:

4.18 – Antonio Brown
4.19 – DeSean Jackson
4.24 – Saquon Barkley
4.24 – Le’Veon Bell
4.25 – Julio Jones
4.39 – Aaron Donald

Edit: and he fits the draft profile of McBeane of rare size/speed/talent in the first.  Oliver doesn’t fit because he isn’t 6’5?

Metcalf is clearly a specimen.  None of the WRs in rd 2 bring his freakiness to the table.  The same is true for Ed Oliver.  Ed hasn’t had neck surgery either.  If the neck surgery doesn’t bother you AT ALL, that’s just strange.

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Between you and the guy saying that Zach Allen is more of a physical freak than Ed Oliver, because he’s bigger, I’m really in awe.  

I’m hanging with my wife on the couch while I read this stuff.  I don’t feel like digging up articles and stats to prove my point.  My point is well documented.  

Then you say this:

“The point is there are players in the 2nd and 3rd round that can provide what Oliver provides.  What point is this when there are several WRs 

But there are no players like Metcalf, sometimes for years. He's not just a size/speed combo. He was already considered the top WR before this past season and combine. The injury is the only reason he might be available at 9 since he was on pace for a huge year.. Meanwhile Ed Oliver was considered the best DT prior to the season and got stuck playing the zero tech getting double and triple teamed all year.  But that doesn’t mean anything to you?  Of course, it doesn’t fit your agenda.  

But Ed Oliver isn’t a physical freak https://www.google.com/amp/s/theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/28/ed-oliver-pro-day-aaron-donald-comparison-nfl-draft/amp/

Just to put Ed Oliver’s 4.19 short-shuttle time into perspective, here’s some other notable results:

4.18 – Antonio Brown
4.19 – DeSean Jackson
4.24 – Saquon Barkley
4.24 – Le’Veon Bell
4.25 – Julio Jones
4.39 – Aaron Donald

Edit: and he fits the draft profile of McBeane of rare size/speed/talent in the first.  Oliver doesn’t fit because he isn’t 6’5?

Metcalf is clearly a specimen.  None of the WRs in rd 2 bring his freakiness to the table.  The same is true for Ed Oliver.  Ed hasn’t had neck surgery either.  If the neck surgery doesn’t bother you AT ALL, that’s just strange.

Again stop putting words in my mouth. I’m not a doctor. I said if the doctors think it’s an issue then don’t draft him. 

Also never said Oliver isn’t a physical freak. I’d just rather have Metcalf and a later round DT than Oliver and a later round WR

Edited by Chemical

8 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Again stop putting words in my mouth. I’m not a doctor. I said if the doctors think it’s an issue then don’t draft him. 

Also never said Oliver isn’t a physical freak. I’d just rather have Metcalf and a later round DT than Oliver and a later round WR

I think you can make a case either way. Lot of second round wr possibilities I like. Harry and Isabella are two of them. I can see Tillery in the second at DL, but my first choice is Oliver at nine. If they go DK in the first, I'm okay with the gamble.

The only one worth taking would be Metcalf as his potential is off the charts compared to other WR's.  He could easily be the next Julio Jones.  The problem is that analysis is based mostly off combine results and his pro day.  If we pass on him and he's the next TO (production wise) the "We could've had Mahomes" will be followed by "We could've had Metcalf" even though most were in favor of them passing on both at the time.  I would be fine with Beane taking him at nine and I would be fine if he drafted a DE/DT or TE as well.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, WMDman said:

no, give me ed oliver

sorry, i'll read through the pages later.... but felt little need to go farther than this. reason being....

they needed oline help badly.  they put together a huge fa group so they aren't reliant on spending a high draft pick there.

they needed wr help badly.  they again, put together a good group.....see above

they need to replace kyle, improve the pass rush, sack total and improve the run defense . they set themselves up nicely to go bpa at the bpn (biggest possible need, dt.)

PLEASE GET ED OLIVER!  we can move around the draft after that to get some de help.

it's not hard to see the direction they are going and that they do have a plan. hopefully for once since 1985, we have a f.o. that will not suck on one side of the ball while concentrating on the other.....which has been the (for lack of a better word), billsy thing to do for way too long.

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Then you say this:

4.18 – Antonio Brown
4.19 – DeSean Jackson
4.24 – Saquon Barkley
4.24 – Le’Veon Bell
4.25 – Julio Jones
4.39 – Aaron Donald

Out of curiousity, what was Metcalf’s short shuttle time?

I personally don’t want Metcalf. if they trade back a few and take him I’ll be all in. I think he’s a swing for the fences type of pick. Could be dominant in this league or could bust out. I don’t feel there’s an in between with him. 

I’d rather trade back and take a TE. Stay where we are and grab a dominant DT/DE and then go for WR in round 2-4. 

Trade back into the first for AJ Brown

2nd round Harry, Butler

27 minutes ago, Augie said:

Out of curiousity, what was Metcalf’s short shuttle time?

Worse than Tom Brady’s.  ?

41 minutes ago, Chemical said:

You and about 7 others.  

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Worse than Tom Brady’s.  ?

So he took the short shuttle, and made it longer? 

EDIT: OK, I looked it up. Oliver had 4.19 while DK (a WR, NOT a DT) had 4.50 seconds. Is a DT suppoesed to be able to change direction better than a WR? 

Edited by Augie

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

So he took the short shuttle, and made it longer? 

EDIT: OK, I looked it up. Oliver had 4.19 while DK (a WR, NOT a DT) had 4.50 seconds. Is a DT suppoesed to be able to change direction better than a WR? 

But Metcalf is the physical freak because he puts too much time in the weight room and can run a fast 40.  

if they don't get oliver, obviously i'll be bummed.....but i've said this before,,,,one thing i do know is that they will do something i never saw coming, or could never have dreamed up.

looking at past picks, these guys find players who have a humble past and the drive to be great. they do unbelievable  research. the players they uncover always fit the mold.