Do you want a WR at 9?

GreggTX

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No they weren’t.  We added 2 already.  Foster didn’t play half the year.  Zay is in the mix.  Duke might be something.  McKenzie has a role.  We have options.  We don’t at DL.  Imo, Jordan and Harrison are backups.  Neither are effective rushing the QB.  Star is the worst pass rushing DT in the league.  We NEED some interior pass rush.

YEP!!!! The defense was 29th in the league in sacks. Losing Kyle is not going to help matters despite the fact that he wasn't the same player.

They have got to improve/replace pass rushers or suddenly the defense doesn't look so good. It happens quickly if you don't fix the cracks.

I also view edge rusher as a need, but one that you could possibly put off until next season. Interior pass rush? Gotta improve it THIS year.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Watch the video. Zach played both EDGE and 3 technique and was a beast. Outstanding against the run. Was considered one of the best in 2018

Ok my bad.  Zach Allen is just as good as Ed Oliver.  What ever was I thinking?

Edited by NewEra

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Ok my bad.  Zach Allen is just as good as Ed Oliver.  What ever was I thinking?

The point is there are players in the 2nd and 3rd round that can provide what Oliver provides.

But there are no players like Metcalf, sometimes for years. He's not just a size/speed combo. He was already considered the top WR before this past season and combine. The injury is the only reason he might be available at 9 since he was on pace for a huge year.

Edit: and he fits the draft profile of McBeane of rare size/speed/talent in the first.

Edited by Chemical

21 minutes ago, Chemical said:

The point is there are players in the 2nd and 3rd round that can provide what Oliver provides.

But there are no players like Metcalf, sometimes for years. He's not just a size/speed combo. He was already considered the top WR before this past season and combine. The injury is the only reason he might be available at 9 since he was on pace for a huge year.

If Metcalf had put up Hollywood Brown numbers, he wouldn’t make it out of the top 3 (he might not anyway; I would not be surprised if the Jets take him).  Sometimes you gotta take chance.  

Edited by mannc

1 minute ago, Chemical said:

So you’re saying that there aren’t any good WRs in the 2nd rd?  LOL.  The WRs that are pegged in rd 2 are widely viewed as some of the best bang for your buck in this draft.  

While it would be great IF the Bills drafted Metcalf and he turned into the next Julio Jones but he is not being portrayed that.

But let's look at some facts.  Since 2000 here are the WRs selected at #9.

Reggie Williams

John Ross

Koren Robinson

Ted Ginn

and at #8

David Terrell

Plaxico Burress

Tavon Austin

and at #10

Mike Williams (DET 2005 Mike Williams)

Travis Taylor

Michael Crabtree

This is why I will leave it with Beane and his staff to decide.

Just now, Chemical said:

Nope did't say that

You said “the point is” there are 2nd and 3rd prospects that can provide what Oliver provides.  First off, who? Zach Allen?  Oh yeah.  Secondly, if that’s your point, and there are WRs in rd 2 and 3 that can provide what Metcalf provides, what good is your point?  It’s not.  

You’re comparing Ed Oliver and Zach Allen.  I’m comparing DK Metcalf with Brown, Harry, Butler, Deebo, Campbell, Harmon, Arcega-Whiteside, Hall, Ridley, McLaurin off the top of my head.  I realIze they all wont be there at 40, but several will be.  If you point is, Oliver can be had in the body of Zach Allen and Metcalf can’t, you have no point.  Metcalf is a physical freak.  So is Oliver.  

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Chemical said:

And our WRs were fine? 

Who was scared of Dallas or Baltimore playmakers last year?

The Bills defense? Just sayin. There is room for improvement on both sides of the ball.

As an aside, I'm in the camp that wouldn't mind taking a shot on Metcalf. 

Edited by LSHMEAB

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You said “the point is” there are 2nd and 3rd prospects that can provide what Oliver provides.  First off, who? Zach Allen?  Oh yeah.  Secondly, if that’s your point, and there are WRs in rd 2 and 3 that can provide what Metcalf provides, what good is your point?  It’s not.  

You’re comparing Ed Oliver and Zach Allen.  I’m comparing DK Metcalf with Brown, Harry, Butler, Deebo, Campbell, Harmon, Arcega-Whiteside, Hall, Ridley, McLaurin off the top of my head.  I realIze they all wont be there at 40, but several will be.  If you point is, Oliver can be had in the body of Zach Allen and Metcalf can’t, you have no point.  Metcalf is a physical freak.  So is Oliver.  

How is Oliver a "physical freak"? He's 6'2", 287lbs. Zach Allen is 6'5" 285. Because Oliver can do backflips make him a freak?

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I said years pass without a player like Metcalf. 

Is Oliver that much better than Jeffrey Simmons? Is he better at all? His best skill is run stopping, and his pass rushing is above average. I posted this link earlier in the thread:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-how-ed-olivers-pass-rushing-was-held-back-by-houstons-scheme

This is supposed to help Oliver's case for lack of pass rush production (lack of production is often held against Metcalf, but not Oliver btw),

but all it does for me is point out that there are at least 6-7 DTs that are not only comparable at pass rushing but better.

And I only care about the pass rushing because that's the skill that is most valuable/rare. 

4 minutes ago, the skycap said:

How is Oliver a "physical freak"? He's 6'2", 287lbs. Zach Allen is 6'5" 285. Because Oliver can do backflips make him a freak?

Ohhhhhhhh my bad.  What was I thinking?  Zach Allen is a physical freak.  Ed Oliver isn’t.  

How could I be so dense.

Btw, did you happen to see Oliver’s times?  

4 minutes ago, Chemical said:

I said years pass without a player like Metcalf. 

Is Oliver that much better than Jeffrey Simmons? Is he better at all? His best skill is run stopping, and his pass rushing is above average. I posted this link earlier in the thread:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-how-ed-olivers-pass-rushing-was-held-back-by-houstons-scheme

This is supposed to help Oliver's case for lack of pass rush production (lack of production is often held against Metcalf, but not Oliver btw),

but all it does for me is point out that there are at least 6-7 DTs that are not only comparable at pass rushing but better.

And I only care about the pass rushing because that's the skill that is most valuable/rare. 

Ok.  You just posted a link that said shows that Oliver played the zero the majority of the time and was triple teamed......yet that doesn’t mean anything to you.  

I’m done in this thread.  I’ll enjoy watching you guys whine and cry about how bad Beane is when we don’t take Metcalf.

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Ok.  You just posted a link that said shows that Oliver played the zero the majority of the time and was triple teamed......yet that doesn’t mean anything to you.  

I’m done in this thread.  I’ll enjoy watching you guys whine and cry about how bad Beane is when we don’t take Metcalf.

Look at the non-zero pass rushing numbers

1 minute ago, Chemical said:

Look at the non-zero pass rushing numbers

My bad again.  Oliver is terrible.  Zach Allen >>. Ed Oliver.  I know, look at the tape.  I know, look at the stats.  its just so obvious that I’m starting to think hat Allen will be taken in the top 10 and Oliver in the 2nd rd