Do you want a WR at 9?

GreggTX

I dont think therr is a WR worthy of the 9th pick in this draft...even if its the first WR off the board you are likely passing up a much better player at DT or OT even if its the 2nd or 3rd player at their position off the board.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

The thing about this report is that at his pro day he shortened his 3 cone drill time. Also, other greats like Megatron, Julio didn't run drill. They should appreciate the fact that he ran it again to show he was better than that. It shows his competitive spirit as far as I'm concerned

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

"After running the numbers, the good news for Metcalf is that there are a few recent instances of receivers who had poor agility testing and found success in the NFL."

My concern about Oliver:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-how-ed-olivers-pass-rushing-was-held-back-by-houstons-scheme

Because this is supposed to be a video defending his lack of senior year production, but look at the rankings even when adjusted for scheme. He's still well below Jerry Tillery and others when it comes to pass rush from 3tech.

11 minutes ago, the skycap said:

The thing about this report is that at his pro day he shortened his 3 cone drill time. Also, other greats like Megatron, Julio didn't run drill. They should appreciate the fact that he ran it again to show he was better than that. It shows his competitive spirit as far as I'm concerned

Bottom line, you don't pass on that kind of talent, particularly when you have a young gun like Allen. 

18 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

We still need a replacement for Kyle Williams.  If you're adamant about acquiring weapons for Josh, then we should trade down and do it.

Yes, im adamant about acquiring weapons for Josh Allen, and Beane should be too.  I’m not at all opposed to a trade down, but the question was about WR at 9.  

And I am convinced we can find a Kyle replacement at 40.  It’s a very deep DT draft.

5 minutes ago, Chemical said:

"After running the numbers, the good news for Metcalf is that there are a few recent instances of receivers who had poor agility testing and found success in the NFL."

Anyone who thinks we should pass on Metcalf because of the 3-cone drill is not worth paying attention to.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

I dont think therr is a WR worthy of the 9th pick in this draft...even if its the first WR off the board you are likely passing up a much better player at DT or OT even if its the 2nd or 3rd player at their position off the board.

After Quinnen Williams, the other DTs are comparable. What's the big difference between Ed Oliver, Dexter Lawrence, etc. After watching Zach Allen from Boston College, he's just as good as Ed Oliver and can play multiple positions on the D line. He can be had in rd 2. Jeffery Simmons, before his injury was considered 1B behind Quinnen and can be had in rd 2 also. You will not find another 6'4" 230lb WR running a 4.3 with 10" hands and massive catch radius.

• Like (+1) 2

I don't see any of the WR draft prospects being worthy of a selection at #9.  Based on the FA receiver signings, I don't think the Bills do either.  With the 11 guys they have under contract, it seems unlikely that they will draft one unless a good receiver plummets during the draft. It is looking more like d-line with or without a trade down.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm going to stock up on beer and chips and get ready to hunker down on the 25th.  I can't wait to see the threads that erupt after the first picks.  We'll have the whiners and the self proclaimed experts that guessed what Beane did.  No matter what happens, the Bills will have a better roster at the end of the draft and we'll all have new material to write about.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Again, would you take Randy Moss, T.O, Julio Jones, Andre Johnson with the 9th pick in the draft? These are his comparisons.

What They’re Saying 

Metcalf’s physical gifts are unquestioned, as few human beings have his combination of size, strength and athleticism. For this reason, he has a truly elite ceiling. In a lot of phases of the game, he takes advantage of his physical traits. Whether releasing against press coverage, separating using physicality or his contact balance as a route runner, Metcalf uses his physical tools on a play to play basis.

There will likely be a transition period for Metcalf, as he grows accustomed to multiple alignments and finishes off his route tree. The traits he shows on film gives the indication that this transition period won’t hold back Metcalf for very long. He’s got the flexibility to perform more than what he was asked to do at Ole Miss.

Early in his career, he will immediately be a red zone threat and accuracy fixer with his hands and ball skills. Down the line, his ceiling is that of the premiere wide receiver in the National Football League.

- Brad Kelly (The Draft Network - Scouting Report)

He's a red zone threat and accuracy fixer. Two things Josh Allen can use.

Neck surgery + little production + below average hands imo = not worth 9.  

Dude looks like a body builder and had NECK SURGERY.  I’d rather not use the 9th pick in the draft on a WR that I have a 2nd grade on that had neck surgery.....while there are players that I have ranked MUCH higher still available.  He makes zero sense to me @ 9

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, the skycap said:

You are referencing 2 QBs with some of the best accuracy in the game. Both QBs also have 2 hulking options to throw the ball up to in Gronk and Michael Thomas. The Bills need that type of receiving option to help Josh Allen ascend to that other level

not in the 1st round at #9.  Note, neither Gronk nor Thomas were taken in the 1st, let alone at #9.  

18 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Thought Harrison Phillips was that guy. Where was Kyle drafted again? Who's our highest paid player next year? Jordan and Harrison Phillips weren't even on the team this time last year. We added 3 DT and lost one to retirement in the last year.

And our defense was gashed up the middle

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Dude looks like a body builder and had NECK SURGERY.  I’d rather not use the 9th pick in the draft on a WR that I have a 2nd grade on that had neck surgery.....while there are players that I have ranked MUCH higher still available.  He makes zero sense to me @ 9

The good news is the Bills will check on the medical part. If it's a concern he won't be drafted by us. I trust the Bills medical staff much more than your fear of the word neck

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yes, the Bills have a great track record of passing on pass catchers who’ve had neck surgery.? I would leave that part of the evaluation to the doctors.

Just now, Chemical said:

The good news is the Bills will check on the medical part. If it's a concern he won't be drafted by us. I trust the Bills medical staff much more than your fear of the word neck

Many words.  Neck surgery.  Not the best player available.  

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Watch the video when he did play!! Was very productive when he played. Doctors cleared him. The below average hands stuff is ridiculous. Watch the videos

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

And our defense was gashed up the middle

And our WRs were fine? 

Who was scared of Dallas or Baltimore playmakers last year? It was a national storyline that Cowboys needed to get Dak more help and they did. Although I like the signings more help is needed.

Run stopping is an easier fix. You don't need to spend a top 10 pick to stop the run.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, the skycap said:

Watch the video when he did play!! Was very productive when he played. Doctors cleared him. The below average hands stuff is ridiculous. Watch the videos

I’ve watched multiple game tapes.  Pretty much every game I think to myself, Aj Brown is a superior WR.  Metcalf has over 5 receptions in 2 games.  

I understand why he’s so enticing.  If we trade down and he’s our guy, so be it. He has great upside if he’s healthy. He’s just nowhere near BPA at 9 in this draft imo.  

18 minutes ago, the skycap said:

After Quinnen Williams, the other DTs are comparable. What's the big difference between Ed Oliver, Dexter Lawrence, etc. After watching Zach Allen from Boston College, he's just as good as Ed Oliver and can play multiple positions on the D line. He can be had in rd 2. Jeffery Simmons, before his injury was considered 1B behind Quinnen and can be had in rd 2 also. You will not find another 6'4" 230lb WR running a 4.3 with 10" hands and massive catch radius.

If you are talking DK Metcalf I have zero interest in drafting the next David Boston who has no flexibility and will be injured more often than healthy before those injuries end his career prematurely.

Edited by matter2003

4 minutes ago, Chemical said:

And our WRs were fine? 

Who was scared of Dallas or Baltimore playmakers last year? It was a national storyline that Cowboys needed to get Dak more help and they did. Although I like the signings more help is needed.

Run stopping is an easier fix. You don't need to spend a top 10 pick to stop the run.

No they weren’t.  We added 2 already.  Foster didn’t play half the year.  Zay is in the mix.  Duke might be something.  McKenzie has a role.  We have options.  We don’t at DL.  Imo, Jordan and Harrison are backups.  Neither are effective rushing the QB.  Star is the worst pass rushing DT in the league.  We NEED some interior pass rush.  

If you want to add a pass catcher, draft Hockenson if he’s there.  He’s a better player imo.

6 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Tape don't lie

Zach Allen is just as good as Ed Oliver.  Lol.  Oh man.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No they weren’t.  We added 2 already.  Foster didn’t play half the year.  Zay is in the mix.  Duke might be something.  McKenzie has a role.  We have options.  We don’t at DL.  Imo, Jordan and Harrison are backups.  Neither are effective rushing the QB.  Star is the worst pass rushing DT in the league.  We NEED some interior pass rush.  

If you want to add a pass catcher, draft Hockenson if he’s there.  He’s a better player imo.

Zach Allen is just as good as Ed Oliver.  Lol.  Oh man.

Watch the video. Zach played both EDGE and 3 technique and was a beast. Outstanding against the run. Was considered one of the best in 2018

Edited by the skycap