A look at the current roster

I took the liberty of putting on my GM hat and went through the current roster and removed most of the back up players.  The list below has 48 players on it. That leaves us room for five more players without having to cut a player listed below to stay at 53.   It looks like a solid roster that should only get better after the draft.  Hopefully we will be able to add at least two immediate starters in the draft.  There are not too many players below who are an easy cut.  It's not a bad problem to have.  We are no longer looking to fill gaping holes in the roster,  we are looking to strengthen already solid positions.

I think we need one more TE, we went into the season last year with four on the roster.  We could use some help at DE and LB.  DT also has some room to grow.  Do we draft a RB?   It will be interesting to see which moves McBeane makes over the next two weeks.  

Offense / Special Teams;  Free agents in bold    26 Total

Josh Allen                                             John Brown

Matt Barkley                                         Cole Beasley

Derek Anderson                                   Andre Roberts

Zay Jones

LeSean McCoy                                    Robert Foster

Frank Gore                                           Duke Williams

Senorise Perry

Tyler Kroft                                          Stephen Hauschka

Jake Fisher                                         Corey Bojorquez

Jason Croom                                      Reid Fergason

Dion Dawkins   

Wyatt Teller

Mitch Morse

Spencer Long

Ty Nsekhe

Jon Feliciano

LaAdrian Waddle

Quinton Spain

Defense;  Free agents in Bold      22 Total

Tre'Davious White                         Matt Milano

Taron Johnson                              Tremaine Edmunds

Levi Wallace                                  Lorenzo Alexander

Kevin Johnson                             Julian Stanford                            

E.J. Gaines

Trent Murphy                                Jordan Poyer

Harrison Phillips                           Siran Neal

Star Latulelei                                 Micah hyde           

Jerry Hughes                                 Rafael Bush

Shaq Lawson                               

Eli Harold                                     

Eddie Yarborough                               

Mo Alexander

Jordan Phillips

Edited by Inigo Montoya

11 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Jordan Phillips?

Yep, he should be on the list.  I'll jump back in and add him to the roster.  Now we are down to five openings left.  Thanks.

• Like (+1) 1

I feel like it's important to point out that just because a guy got signed in FA, doesn't mean he'll make the team.  They brought guys in for competition, not as sure-fire roster spots.  It's not a sure bet for Senorise Perry, Duke Williams, or all of the FA linemen, both offense and defense, to make it.  To be honest, I'd be flabbergasted if all of them did.

• Like (+1) 8

There are 5-6 guys on that list that could be replaced in the draft including guys that have just been signed,  with none/minimal dead money..

Perry, Fisher,Mo Alexander, Stanford,Duke Williams, Yarborough..

There are a few depth guys that you haven’t listed that they seem to like and wouldn’t surprise me if they make the team..

Pitts, Murphy, Boettiger, McKenzie...

Long way to go ..

27 minutes ago, Haplo848 said:

I feel like it's important to point out that just because a guy got signed in FA, doesn't mean he'll make the team.  They brought guys in for competition, not as sure-fire roster spots.  It's not a sure bet for Senorise Perry, Duke Williams, or all of the FA linemen, both offense and defense, to make it.  To be honest, I'd be flabbergasted if all of them did.

26 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

There are 5-6 guys on that list that could be replaced in the draft including guys that have just been signed,  with none/minimal dead money..

There are a few depth guys that you haven’t listed that they seem to like and wouldn’t surprise me if they make the team..

Long way to go ..

Agree with both of your posts.  Some of the free agents will probably not make the final 53 and some of the players I included in the roster above won't make it either.  

The great thing, and the main point of my post, is that we are going to be cutting good players from the 53 man roster because we will have better players to replace them.  If / when someone goes down with an injury this year it should not be a huge drop off in production because we will have quality depth behind them.  I think this is going to end up being a very strong roster on opening day.

I’m convinced we’re not done adding impactful veterans-aka starters. Lost in all the hoopla of the FA frenzy and 10 upcoming Draft picks, lies Trader Beane. When Beane trades, new starters appear.

I’m also convinced the Opening Day roster will barely resemble this montage of misfits.

59 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Long way to go ..

I really think Duke is going to surprise people.  I think hes a beast.  Finally going to have a good Duke Williams.

16 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Not very inspiring - on paper..

I think spectacular has been passed up for solid through the depth chart. I think a team needs a few stars and everyone else has to be solid.  A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.  I really think they are going to grab high upside players in the draft.

48 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Agree with both of your posts.  Some of the free agents will probably not make the final 53 and some of the players I included in the roster above won't make it either.  

The great thing, and the main point of my post, is that we are going to be cutting good players from the 53 man roster because we will have better players to replace them.  If / when someone goes down with an injury this year it should not be a huge drop off in production because we will have quality depth behind them.  I think this is going to end up being a very strong roster on opening day.

I would guess that your definition of "good players" = "guys I like who play for the Bills" as opposed to "good players" = "starters on most NFL teams".

34 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I really think Duke is going to surprise people.  I think hes a beast.  Finally going to have a good Duke Williams.

I think spectacular has been passed up for solid through the depth chart. I think a team needs a few stars and everyone else has to be solid.  A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.  I really think they are going to grab high upside players in the draft.

I think that Brandon/Beane/McDermott have actually thrown away spectacular in pursuit of less than solid in several instances.  I see a roster with too many bottom end players who would not be good enough to make most teams in the NFL.  If the Bills are serious about building a real playoff team, the 2019 draft would be a good time to start.  Even if Allen develops into a true franchise QB, he can't do everything himself.

Realistic.  We should go for a few top studs (high ceiling, high floor, high draft position) and then just high ceiling guys for the rest of the draft. 

You didn't mention that the Bills will be scouring the waiver wires and practice squads very hard.  Teams will try to hide very good developing players there and some of our deep backups will be replaced.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I took the liberty of putting on my GM hat and went through the current roster and removed most of the back up players.  The list below has 48 players on it. That leaves us room for five more players without having to cut a player listed below to stay at 53.   It looks like a solid roster that should only get better after the draft.  Hopefully we will be able to add at least two immediate starters in the draft.  There are not too many players below who are an easy cut.  It's not a bad problem to have.  We are no longer looking to fill gaping holes in the roster,  we are looking to strengthen already solid positions.

I think we need one more TE, we went into the season last year with four on the roster.  We could use some help at DE and LB.  DT also has some room to grow.  Do we draft a RB?   It will be interesting to see which moves McBeane makes over the next two weeks.  

Offense / Special Teams;  Free agents in bold    26 Total

Josh Allen                                             John Brown

Matt Barkley                                         Cole Beasley

Derek Anderson                                   Andre Roberts

Zay Jones

LeSean McCoy                                    Robert Foster

Frank Gore                                           Duke Williams

Senorise Perry

Tyler Kroft                                          Stephen Hauschka

Jake Fisher                                         Corey Bojorquez

Jason Croom                                      Reid Fergason

Dion Dawkins   

Wyatt Teller

Mitch Morse

Spencer Long

Ty Nsekhe

Jon Feliciano

LaAdrian Waddle

Quinton Spain

Defense;  Free agents in Bold      22 Total

Tre'Davious White                         Matt Milano

Taron Johnson                              Tremaine Edmunds

Levi Wallace                                  Lorenzo Alexander

Kevin Johnson                             Julian Stanford                            

E.J. Gaines

Trent Murphy                                Jordan Poyer

Harrison Phillips                           Siran Neal

Star Latulelei                                 Micah hyde           

Jerry Hughes                                 Rafael Bush

Shaq Lawson                               

Eli Harold                                     

Eddie Yarborough                               

Mo Alexander

Jordan Phillips

Man when you really look at this roster... we definitely need a WR early in this draft. Beasley, John Brown, Zay doesn't scare anyone. Robert Foster maybe... but he needs to take another step.

23 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

Man when you really look at this roster... we definitely need a WR early in this draft. Beasley, John Brown, Zay doesn't scare anyone. Robert Foster maybe... but he needs to take another step.

Teams have run at will against Buffalo the past 2 years and opposing  QBS have been way too comfortable in the pocket.  A WR does nothing to fix that.

jones, brown, foster, Beasley, Roberts, duke is 6 WR already, we aren’t keeping 7, who are you cutting when you draft WR?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

I would guess that your definition of "good players" = "guys I like who play for the Bills" as opposed to "good players" = "starters on most NFL teams".

I think that Brandon/Beane/McDermott have actually thrown away spectacular in pursuit of less than solid in several instances.  I see a roster with too many bottom end players who would not be good enough to make most teams in the NFL.  If the Bills are serious about building a real playoff team, the 2019 draft would be a good time to start.  Even if Allen develops into a true franchise QB, he can't do everything himself.

I actually think some of your takes make you look clueless.  They got rid of guys that were not performing or do not have the attitude they want.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

2 points I wanted after reading the OP.

1. Deon Lacey should be on that list. He just signed a new contract.

2. You seem to treat DT as an afterthought. I see it as the last remaining "gaping hole" on the roster (assuming Allen and Edmunds play well in 2019). Lotulelei is average at best and after him there is a big drop off. H Phillips may be a solid starting DT some day, but he's still a long way from there. I really think that great defense starts with a great front 4. At DE, Hughes is very good, but no one is comparing him to guys like A Donald, K Mack or V Miller. After Hughes there is also a considerable drop off. I want the best players we can get on draft day, but would be greatly pleased if the 2 day 1 starters you refer to were a DT and a DE. I also think Suh will be signed by someone shortly after the draft and possibly by us if we still have the cap space.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

DL very much lacks higher end talent outside of Hughes 

And this is a unit that can heavily tilt the win/loss column in your favor if the talent is very good.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Thank you (+1) 1