A look at the current roster

Good post by the OP.  I think the Bills will draft a developmental OT in the 3rd or 4th rd.  This guy will be the 9th olineman.  If it goes well, this olineman will be the swing OT in 2020 and the starting RT in 2021.

I believe this is the strategy that will emerge more and more in the next few years.  Most of the OL signed this year are upgrades to what we had last year, are stopgap measures, but will eventually be replaced by young, cheap draft picks.

Bills OL guys:  Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Long, Nyseke, Waddle, Feliciano, Teller, OT Draft pick.

Cuts: Sirles, Ducasse, McDermott, Boettger, Bodine (maybe trade) 

Edited by DCbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Good post by the OP.  I think the Bills will draft a developmental OT in the 3rd or 4th rd.  This guy will be the 9th olineman.  If it goes well, this olineman will be the swing OT in 2020 and the starting RT in 2021.

I believe this is the strategy that will emerge more and more in the next few years.  Most of the OL signed this year are upgrades to what we had last year, are stopgap measures, but will eventually be replaced by young, cheap draft picks.

Bills OL guys:  Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Long, Nyseke, Waddle, Feliciano, Teller, OT Draft pick.

Cuts: Sirles, Ducasse, McDermott, Boettger

Your assessment is probably correct but it is only the 1st day of OTAs.

It's a long way off to final cuts.  Here's hoping that some of these young guys can make their dreams come true.

McDermott could push a guy like Waddle off the roster.

Boettger could find himself on the PS which could be an upgrade to a rookie UDFA.

You missed Bodine in your above projections.  I would put him in as a trade.

23 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I actually think some of your takes make you look clueless.  They got rid of guys that were not performing or do not have the attitude they want.

All FOs/HCs make mistakes.  What is clueless is pretending that Brandon/Beane/McDermott didn't make mistakes and attempting to defend those mistakes as "they got rid of guys that were not performing or do not have the attitude they want".

• They allowed always productive, always hard-working WR Robert Woods leave in FA and then traded away Sammy Watkins.  They replaced them with Jordan Matthews and Kelvin Benjamin. 
  • They not only wasted a draft pick on Nathan Peterman, they compounded their error by trading away Taylor and naming Peterman the starter even though his play as a rookie was awful.  Then they kept Peterman as the backup to Allen for a month before they brought in another QB after Peterman demonstrated his incompetence yet again in the season opener.
14 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

No matter how you cut it the OP's line up is far better than last year's mess and it's only going to get better in the coming months. Beane set out to create competition for jobs and that is exactly what he did.

While what you said is true comparing last year and this year's rosters, that's only because last year's was so bad.  At present, we can all hope that the roster will improve on paper  with the draft but it's no guarantee that the Bills will be a better team on Opening Day 2019 than it was on Opening Day 2018 except that they'll be better at QB without Nathan Peterman on the roster.

Edited by SoTier

15 minutes ago, SoTier said:

While what you said is true comparing last year and this year's rosters, that's only because last year's was so bad.  At present, we can all hope that the roster will improve on paper  with the draft but it's no guarantee that the Bills will be a better team on Opening Day 2019 than it was on Opening Day 2018 except that they'll be better at QB without Nathan Peterman on the roster.

Until the opening game of the season, the bolded can be said about every team.

LOL, it's the 1st day of OTAs........it's OK to be a little optimistic.

Inigo 

Great post, again.  It proves your point very well.   

I think the people who are bemoaning the lack of high end talent are missing a few of the realities of this team.

1.  McD intends to win with a team concept.   He would tell you he doesn't need a lot of high end talent to win.

2.  Beane dies NOT use free agency to get high end talent. He did with Morse pretty much because the line was so weak he had no choice.   He says he fills holes with free agents and he  builds talent through the draft.  That means we have to wait for high end talent.  He added two in the draft last year and he will add one or two this year.  Yes, when an AB or a Clowney becomes available he will think about it, but he doesn't plan to add talent that way.

3.  Something was posted the other day about the o linemen coming out of college.  They have no skills, and they can get better only by sitting and practicing and eventually playing.  What I like about the free agent linemen is they have a lot of playing experience.  They know what it takes.  I think that will help a lot.  And if one of them gets cut because the Bills get a stud OT at 9, that's good news.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

All FOs/HCs make mistakes.  What is clueless is pretending that Brandon/Beane/McDermott didn't make mistakes and attempting to defend those mistakes as "they got rid of guys that were not performing or do not have the attitude they want".

• They allowed always productive, always hard-working WR Robert Woods leave in FA and then traded away Sammy Watkins.  They replaced them with Jordan Matthews and Kelvin Benjamin. 
  • They not only wasted a draft pick on Nathan Peterman, they compounded their error by trading away Taylor and naming Peterman the starter even though his play as a rookie was awful.  Then they kept Peterman as the backup to Allen for a month before they brought in another QB after Peterman demonstrated his incompetence yet again in the season opener.

I realize been should have brought Woods to the front office in Carolina to negotiate his Buffalo contract.?  The more you type the more clueless you seem.  Woods agreed to a contract with the Rams in march of 2017, Beane became GM in May of 2017.  It has been stated on this bored repeatedly.  I guess that doesnt fit your narative though now does it.?

I believe every move you mention that Beane is actually responsible for were good or at least reasonable.  Beane has already acknowledged the mistake with Benjamin.  As you said GMs are human they will make mistakes.

Sammy cant stay healthy and wasnt going to stay here as I also believe Woods had no interest in having TT as his QB.

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Your assessment is probably correct but it is only the 1st day of OTAs.

It's a long way off to final cuts.  Here's hoping that some of these young guys can make their dreams come true.

McDermott could push a guy like Waddle off the roster.

Boettger could find himself on the PS which could be an upgrade to a rookie UDFA.

You missed Bodine in your above projections.  I would put him in as a trade.

No doubt.  A long way to go before cuts.  Conor McDermott is an interesting situation.  He's been here 2 years but hasn't played much.  Not sure what to think of him.  

14 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

No doubt.  A long way to go before cuts.  Conor McDermott is an interesting situation.  He's been here 2 years but hasn't played much.  Not sure what to think of him.  

Guys in Conor's position have to prove it this year.

True he could go back to the PS but he will be turning 27 during the season and if he can't take it to the next level they could look elsewhere.

The thing I do like is guys like this will be totally in for this years competition.

On 4/14/2019 at 3:19 AM, Haplo848 said:

I feel like it's important to point out that just because a guy got signed in FA, doesn't mean he'll make the team.  They brought guys in for competition, not as sure-fire roster spots.  It's not a sure bet for Senorise Perry, Duke Williams, or all of the FA linemen, both offense and defense, to make it.  To be honest, I'd be flabbergasted if all of them did.

You know that you have talent on the roster when you start cutting guys that make other teams rosters.....

We start releasing these offensive linemen...that is EXACTLY what is going to  happen

Interesting tidbits.

1. I expect some of the FA sigings to be cut. Roster will change.

2. Hardly any guys drafted by the Bills. Only 1 that was drafted outside of the 2017 and 2018 drafts.

3. Lot of injury risk on OL. 

4. A lot of turnover in a few years.

Until we see victories It is hard to know what this team is. Lots of "what if" type players across the board. Some would argue the FO dismantled the roster more than needed - ego driven and wanting to do things your way. Some will say that is the way to do it or they were the wrong guys. I think it falls somewhere in the middle. You can create your own issues and then force the need to fix them, which takes away from other areas. We saw a lot of that - Dareus, P Brown, Woods, Watkins, Glenn, Darby, Gilmore, etc.

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Interesting tidbits.

2. Hardly any guys drafted by the Bills. Only 1 that was drafted outside of the 2017 and 2018 drafts.

Until we see victories It is hard to know what this team is. Lots of "what if" type players across the board. Some would argue the FO dismantled the roster more than needed - ego driven and wanting to do things your way. Some will say that is the way to do it or they were the wrong guys. I think it falls somewhere in the middle. You can create your own issues and then force the need to fix them, which takes away from other areas. We saw a lot of that - Dareus, P Brown, Woods, Watkins, Glenn, Darby, Gilmore, etc.

It's more than obvious that Beane and McDermott wanted to purge the majority of the Whaley/Nix and Marrone/Ryan regime players as

quickly as possible. 

This season will begin to reveal if it is working.  A 5 or 6 win season will be devastating for them.

They'll be judged on what they build not about what they have torn down.

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

Interesting tidbits.

Aside from superstars and your own drafted players EVERY team undergoes significant turnover every 3-5 years -- even the good ones.  The free agents, with a couple of exceptions, are not intended to be here for more than a couple of years.  The Bills need to draft well, re-sign their own, and fill glaring holes through free agency.  I think their plan is sound and as we approach this draft we have our QB, some decent young talent drafted over the past two years, no glaring holes, and 10 draft picks to work the board.

As I've stated in many threads reasonable minds may differ over whether Beane and McD "needed" to break it down, but that debate is 100% irrelevant at this juncture.  It's all about what they're building and whether they will be successful.  Their plan is crystal clear.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

It's more than obvious that Beane and McDermott wanted to purge the majority of the Whaley/Nix and Marrone/Ryan regime players as

quickly as possible. 

This season will begin to reveal if it is working.  A 5 or 6 win season will be devastating for them.

They'll be judged on what they build not about what they have torn down.

Exactly

On 4/14/2019 at 7:03 AM, Pete said:

Teams have run at will against Buffalo the past 2 years and opposing  QBS have been way too comfortable in the pocket.  A WR does nothing to fix that.

jones, brown, foster, Beasley, Roberts, duke is 6 WR already, we aren’t keeping 7, who are you cutting when you draft WR?

Zay gets traded when we draft a WR IMO.  He doesn't excel at any area of being a WR.  And personally, I believe we will both draft a WR and it will be one of our first 3 players chosen. 

Dukes future here will obviously be heavily impacted on his ability to transition to the NFL, but also by WHO we draft.  If we draft someone like say DK, Harry, or Butler I think Duke will have a harder time making this team mainly because all those guys do all the things Duke excels at but are also quite a bit faster in the speed department.  Right now, Duke brings a skill set to the team not currently on the roster.  So if that is still the case post draft, then his chances of securing a roster spot go up IMO.  

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Zay gets traded when we draft a WR IMO.  He doesn't excel at any area of being a WR.  And personally, I believe we will both draft a WR and it will be one of our first 3 players chosen. 

Dukes future here will obviously be heavily impacted on his ability to transition to the NFL, but also by WHO we draft.  If we draft someone like say DK, Harry, or Butler I think Duke will have a harder time making this team mainly because all those guys do all the things Duke excels at but are also quite a bit faster in the speed department.  Right now, Duke brings a skill set to the team not currently on the roster.  So if that is still the case post draft, then his chances of securing a roster spot go up IMO.  

I am thinking we trade a WR and/or OL and/or DE.  That is whomever has trade value.  It wouldn't shock me to see Beane trade Dawkins and draft an OT.  And I am truly puzzled whom Buffalo selects early.  They keep looking at CBs.  I could see any of S, RB TE, WR, DE, DT, OT, G, CB selected with our first 3 picks

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

I strongly disagree about Poyer and Hyde. They are difference/game changers. They may not be top 5 safeties but they are certainly game changers. With a better pass rush I expect them to get closer to the 10 combined interceptions they had in 2017. 

Also, Milano has to be counted as a game changer. After his injury, the defense fell apart. The defense was a different animal with him out there and in my book, that’s the definition of a game changer. 

Tremaine hasn’t earned the game changer title yet. I believe he will but you’re giving it to him and not any of these three? Also giving it to Dawkins over these three? You’ve lost me. A game changer title is earned not given to somebody because they have potential. 

How do you define a game changer? 

I said star studs OR HOPING TO BE...

which is exactly what we need to happen if we want to be relevant in the playoff picture again. 

if you think Poyer, Hyde, Milano are more than just average to good, then I’m not even going to bother arguing with you. They are bodies that occasionally make good plays and generally don’t make big mistakes. Most good football teams have tons of these kinds of players. 

On 4/14/2019 at 11:25 AM, GreggTX said:

This kinda goes hand in hand with my belief that playcalling is an underappreciated art. There's no better play than the one the other team isn't looking for. 

One could also argue that there's no better play than the one the other IS looking for and still can't stop...

I don't disagree that catching teams off-guard with playcalling wrinkles and creativity is essential and has proven to be so in recent Super Bowls, for example. But there is nothing so sought after, by coaches, as being able to execute their staple concepts consistently, independent of what defenses do.

Looking at the roster, and knowing that McCoy won't be around much longer, they should want a RB to develop alongside Allen. I can't see them NOT drafting a RB somewhere in the first 3 rounds.

My expectations are the 9th pick to be a D-lineman, after that a WR/TE, then a RB.

Maybe with a trade, they will have another pick in the first 3 rounds that would be a different position, too.

Edited by OJ Tom

18 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I realize been should have brought Woods to the front office in Carolina to negotiate his Buffalo contract.?  The more you type the more clueless you seem.  Woods agreed to a contract with the Rams in march of 2017, Beane became GM in May of 2017.  It has been stated on this bored repeatedly.  I guess that doesnt fit your narative though now does it.?

I believe every move you mention that Beane is actually responsible for were good or at least reasonable.  Beane has already acknowledged the mistake with Benjamin.  As you said GMs are human they will make mistakes.

Sammy cant stay healthy and wasnt going to stay here as I also believe Woods had no interest in having TT as his QB.

If you re-read my post, you will find that I also included Russ Brandon in the supposed "brain trust" that lead the Bills in 2017 and 2018.  McDermott was here in 2017 and 2018, and like everyone else, I don't know who exactly was responsible for the personnel moves while Brandon was the head honcho.  Whaley had never really been in control of deciding which players the Bills would let walk in FA; that tended to be Brandon.  Whaley was responsible for finding talent and evaluating it once it was on the team.  He had input into the decisions about which players were re-signed, but he didn't make the final decision -- just as he didn't decide on HCs.  I would guess that Beane was hired to fill that same role.   How his role changed after Brandon was fired is unknown.  I don't believe that the Pegulas hired anyone to fill the same role as Brandon did, but does that mean that they gave Beane more responsibility or has he remained subordinate to McDermott as he appeared to be in 2017?  I don't know, and you don't either.  The Bills have always kept their inner workings very private.

I never said ANYTHING about  Beane or McDermott not owning up to his/their mistakes.  I said that you and some other posters refuse to recognize that serious personnel mistakes were made in 2017 and 2018, and I'll stand by my statement.  Your last paragraph is a perfect example.  Trading Watkins compounded by Beane trading for Matthews, who also couldn't "stay healthy" and for Benjamin, who wasn't healthy when he came to the Bills and seems to have not had a great attitude to boot. If you "believe" that Woods had no interest in having Taylor as his QB, then why would he have signed with the Rams with Jared Goff as their QB?  Goff had a miserable rookie season on a miserable team in 2016 and many people were already penciling him in as a bust.   However, keep up your excuse making.

Furthermore, you conveniently ignored my example of how the QB situation was handled in 2018.  That, to me, is far worse than whatever happened in 2017.  At best, it hints that Beane was undergoing OTJ training and learned from his mistakes (ie, an offense without decent WRs and OLers is gonna suck).  At worst, it suggests that the Bills are continuing the same philosophy under Pegula/McDermott/Beane that was prevalent under Wilson/Brandon: maximizing profits trump winning football games.

If you don't like my opinions, feel free to put me on "ignore" so that my "cluelessness" won't impinge on your fantasies of an inevitable Bills Super Bowl under the current regime.

Edited by SoTier