A look at the current roster

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

I would guess that your definition of "good players" = "guys I like who play for the Bills" as opposed to "good players" = "starters on most NFL teams".

I think that Brandon/Beane/McDermott have actually thrown away spectacular in pursuit of less than solid in several instances.  I see a roster with too many bottom end players who would not be good enough to make most teams in the NFL.  If the Bills are serious about building a real playoff team, the 2019 draft would be a good time to start.  Even if Allen develops into a true franchise QB, he can't do everything himself.

It's true that we lack high end talent, but I think having a roster without more than 1 or 2 big holes actually makes a team very hard to beat. They don't have to overcompensate for weak areas and can more easily catch the other team off balance because they can do one thing or another with equal aplomb. This kinda goes hand in hand with my belief that playcalling is an underappreciated art. There's no better play than the one the other team isn't looking for. That said, we musr have 3 or 4 elite talents on our roster to win a SB or it gets much harder to do. Maybe not impossible, but still much harder.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

It's true that we lack high end talent, but I think having a roster without more than 1 or 2 big holes actually makes a team very hard to beat. They don't have to overcompensate for weak areas and can more easily catch the other team off balance because they can do one thing or another with equal aplomb. This kinda goes hand in hand with my belief that playcalling is an underappreciated art. There's no better play than the one the other team isn't looking for.

Ultimately it all comes down to the draft. This team definitely lacks high end talent, and that is a problem. Successful playoff teams all have high end talent. There is no way I see anything more than a one and done playoff team (at best) based on the talent of this roster. That could all change with a successful draft, and the continued development of our draft picks from the past few years. Nothing is preventing guys who are already on the roster from developing into high end talents.  

Although we didn’t land big time talent, I really like everything we did in free agency this offseason. You hope to find quality role players and depth guys during the free agency period. We did a really good job of doing so. Typically, you don’t expect to land superstars. The majority of high end talent on NFL rosters are homegrown draft choices. High end talent is often available during free agency only in the case of diva players. 

I think this team is in pretty good shape. Josh Allen’s development still determines the future of this franchise. I’m most concerned about the lack of high end talent, and not sold on the trenches for either side of the ball. This offensive line still isn’t very good. We signed some nice depth guys, but I’m not sure they are ideal starters. Morse is the only consistently above average starter on that line. It’s an improvement over last season, but that’s not saying a whole lot. Let’s hope some good talent can be found in the draft to help with that. Things still feel quite good around here as we finally have a regime with a plan, and Allen looks very promising. That’s more than we’ve been able to say in years. Now we just need to shore up a few positions and find a way to develop some high end talent. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m convinced we’re not done adding impactful veterans-aka starters. Lost in all the hoopla of the FA frenzy and 10 upcoming Draft picks, lies Trader Beane. When Beane trades, new starters appear.

I’m also convinced the Opening Day roster will barely resemble this montage of misfits.

I'm expecting a big trade or two myself.

"Montage of Misfits".  LOL.  I agree a lot of these FAs have been misfits on their former teams.

I'm betting a good number of them will have found a home in Buffalo.

On the other hand I can see 4-5 of the recently signed FAs not making the team in the end.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm expecting a big trade or two myself.

"Montage of Misfits".  LOL.  I agree a lot of these FAs have been misfits on their former teams.

I'm betting a good number of them will have found a home in Buffalo.

On the other hand I can see 4-5 of the recently signed FAs not making the team in the end.

LaAdrian Waddle=Marshall Newhouse for example.

2 hours ago, GreggTX said:

1. Deon Lacey should be on that list. He just signed a new contract.

So did Pitts and his chances of making this team are slim and none .

8 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I took the liberty of putting on my GM hat and went through the current roster and removed most of the back up players.  The list below has 48 players on it. That leaves us room for five more players without having to cut a player listed below to stay at 53.   It looks like a solid roster that should only get better after the draft.  Hopefully we will be able to add at least two immediate starters in the draft.  There are not too many players below who are an easy cut.  It's not a bad problem to have.  We are no longer looking to fill gaping holes in the roster,  we are looking to strengthen already solid positions.

I think we need one more TE, we went into the season last year with four on the roster.  We could use some help at DE and LB.  DT also has some room to grow.  Do we draft a RB?   It will be interesting to see which moves McBeane makes over the next two weeks.  

Offense / Special Teams;  Free agents in bold    26 Total

Josh Allen                                             John Brown

Matt Barkley                                         Cole Beasley

Derek Anderson                                   Andre Roberts

Zay Jones

LeSean McCoy                                    Robert Foster

Frank Gore                                           Duke Williams

Senorise Perry

Tyler Kroft                                          Stephen Hauschka

Jake Fisher                                         Corey Bojorquez

Jason Croom                                      Reid Fergason

Dion Dawkins   

Wyatt Teller

Mitch Morse

Spencer Long

Ty Nsekhe

Jon Feliciano

LaAdrian Waddle

Quinton Spain

Defense;  Free agents in Bold      22 Total

Tre'Davious White                         Matt Milano

Taron Johnson                              Tremaine Edmunds

Levi Wallace                                  Lorenzo Alexander

Kevin Johnson                             Julian Stanford                            

E.J. Gaines

Trent Murphy                                Jordan Poyer

Harrison Phillips                           Siran Neal

Star Latulelei                                 Micah hyde           

Jerry Hughes                                 Rafael Bush

Shaq Lawson                               

Eli Harold                                     

Eddie Yarborough                               

Mo Alexander

Jordan Phillips

Right now there is No guarantee that all the UFA make the Roster. 

Let’s talk OL

Morse - Contract mocks him In for this year. 

Nsekhe- Contract says makes the team

Dawkins - Not going anywhere but savings if cut 

Waddle - Can be cut with a savings 

McDermott - Can be cut at a savings 

Long - Signed this year can be Cut this year at a cap savings 

Bodine - Can be cut at a cap savings. 

Feliceno - Can be cut but. A small cap hit if so 

Ducasse can and will be cut

Spain - can be cut this year at a cap savings

Sirles - Can be cut at savings

Teller - Same

Boetringer - Same 

so out out of ALL the OL there really is 2 that cannot be moved on after camp at a savings. 1 that is a wash (Same dead as current hit) 

so really out of all the UFA signings this offseason on the OL only Morse really has a Contract that says he isn’t going anywhere. 

I think it is Ambitious putting all those UFAs in the top 53. Their play may get them there. But in April look at Contracts and there is what. 3 or 4 that are contracts that put them in the top 53. 

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

LaAdrian Waddle=Marshall Newhouse for example.

So did Pitts and his chances of making this team are slim and none .

Good example.

I will add that Newhouse made the team last year because there was no talent.

Waddle may not make the team this year because of an increase in talent.

Need another OT in the draft.

I like what Beane's plan was during FA.  If some of the guys don't survive the competition so be it.

1-2 million in dead money won't hurt this year.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I really think Duke is going to surprise people.  I think hes a beast.  Finally going to have a good Duke Williams.

I think spectacular has been passed up for solid through the depth chart. I think a team needs a few stars and everyone else has to be solid.  A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.  I really think they are going to grab high upside players in the draft.

Pretty much this. Your all star studs right now, or at least hoping to be:

Offense:

Allen

Dawkins

Morse

Defense:

Edmunds

White

Hughes

youve got to be hoping these 6 are not just good starters but game changers. You’ve got to go into the draft hoping to get at least 1 if not 2 more impact players right away. Maybe steal the show and get a sure fire, one of the best in the league players as soon as possible. That’s got to be the hope. If you can get that at the DT, DE, WR positions in this draft we’re well on our way. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Pretty much this. Your all star studs right now, or at least hoping to be:

Offense:

Allen

Dawkins

Morse

Defense:

Edmunds

White

Hughes

youve got to be hoping these 6 are not just good starters but game changers. You’ve got to go into the draft hoping to get at least 1 if not 2 more impact players right away. Maybe steal the show and get a sure fire, one of the best in the league players as soon as possible. That’s got to be the hope. If you can get that at the DT, DE, WR positions in this draft we’re well on our way. 

Youre also missing one of the best safety tandems in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Absolutely true.  However, don’t you like to play with new toys first and then eventually get bored and pass them o?

That’s what training camp and preseason is for. Show up in shape and look sharp and they won’t be moved but always look to acquire assets instead of just cutting players. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

That’s what training camp and preseason is for. Show up in shape and look sharp and they won’t be moved but always look to acquire assets instead of just cutting players. 

It’s just that I don’t think the preseason gives that much of a taste.  They’ll do it in practice, but not many of us will see it.

8 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

It’s just that I don’t think the preseason gives that much of a taste.  They’ll do it in practice, but not many of us will see it.

It doesn’t matter if the fans see it, the coaching staff needs to see it. I trust them to make the right decisions

9 hours ago, mrags said:

They are good. Especially as a group. But they are not stars 

I strongly disagree about Poyer and Hyde. They are difference/game changers. They may not be top 5 safeties but they are certainly game changers. With a better pass rush I expect them to get closer to the 10 combined interceptions they had in 2017. 

Also, Milano has to be counted as a game changer. After his injury, the defense fell apart. The defense was a different animal with him out there and in my book, that’s the definition of a game changer. 

Tremaine hasn’t earned the game changer title yet. I believe he will but you’re giving it to him and not any of these three? Also giving it to Dawkins over these three? You’ve lost me. A game changer title is earned not given to somebody because they have potential. 

How do you define a game changer? 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, GreggTX said:

2 points I wanted after reading the OP.

1. Deon Lacey should be on that list. He just signed a new contract

His contract, like Sirles on OL is for one year with no signing bonus or guaranteed $$$.  Basically a placeholder and means they can be released with no cap implications.  Don't see either making the 53.  

21 hours ago, Pete said:

Teams have run at will against Buffalo the past 2 years and opposing  QBS have been way too comfortable in the pocket.  A WR does nothing to fix that.

jones, brown, foster, Beasley, Roberts, duke is 6 WR already, we aren’t keeping 7, who are you cutting when you draft WR?

Zay and/or duke

On 4/14/2019 at 6:19 AM, Haplo848 said:

I feel like it's important to point out that just because a guy got signed in FA, doesn't mean he'll make the team.  They brought guys in for competition, not as sure-fire roster spots.  It's not a sure bet for Senorise Perry, Duke Williams, or all of the FA linemen, both offense and defense, to make it.  To be honest, I'd be flabbergasted if all of them did.

Plus they bring in 90 players....many to play the final preseason game

2 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

It doesn’t matter if the fans see it, the coaching staff needs to see it. I trust them to make the right decisions

Yeah, but the thing is my original post was about a number of guys that I like are potentially going to be cut...that hasn't changed with whether we trade for draft picks or whether the coaches get to see it instead of me.

23 hours ago, Pete said:

Teams have run at will against Buffalo the past 2 years and opposing  QBS have been way too comfortable in the pocket.  A WR does nothing to fix that.

jones, brown, foster, Beasley, Roberts, duke is 6 WR already, we aren’t keeping 7, who are you cutting when you draft WR?

You cut whoever is worst. Probably CFL Duke, because he's super slow. We absolutely need another WR and I would be shocked if we didn't take one in the first 3 rounds.