First Round Draft strategy: When to trade up and for whom?

12 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

If the Giants go Qb at 6, he can fall to 7. But if he has dropped to 6, the Bills should explore a trade with the Giants, who might want t o trade down and collect draft capital.

Gettleturd doesn't seem like a "trade down" kinda guy

I mean anything goes with him

This is the brain trust who drafted a rb @#2 last year ahead of Allen and darnold

??

@IgotBILLStopay

I haven’t considered him him this whole draft season as I always thought he was out of reach.  Additionally, even though we’ve filled a number of holes, we still have others to fill.

All that said I believe I am with you on this, and I would give up a quite bit to do it.

With this move I think an already good/great defense becomes an absolute mess for opposing offenses to play against. 

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

It would be great if this site crashed until the 27th.  Come on to maybe see a worthwhile thread to read through but nope.. Still the same crap as the day before and the day before that.  

And now, you've contributed to it.

4 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Gettleturd doesn't seem like a "trade down" kinda guy

I mean anything goes with him

This is the brain trust who drafted a rb @#2 last year ahead of Allen and darnold

??

You are right. By my count he has traded up 6 times but never traded down. But the widespread criticism from last year when he coulda Trubiskyed the Jets and picked Barkley might make him willing to trade down this year. 

7 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

You are right. By my count he has traded up 6 times but never traded down. But the widespread criticism from last year when he coulda Trubiskyed the Jets and picked Barkley might make him willing to trade down this year. 

Very true, although he seems like a stubborn pr*ck who will not listen to criticism

I think when you trade back you need to not have any specific targets in mind, knowing that your specific guy might not be there, so you need to be willing to accept multiple players at that spot.

That Chicago trade is tough to gauge though

They gave up 2017 third and fourth (#67, #111) and a 2018 third (#70) to swap up to #2 from #3

While it seems really terrible on paper in hindsight, let's not forget that the 49ers QBs of 2016 were kaep and gabbert, and they went into 2017 with CJ beathard and hoyer at the helm.

They didn't trade for Jimmy g until October of '17.

It was very likely they would select a QB at #2 and the bears didn't want to lose their guy.

There also might have been other offers on the table so they may have had to beat them.

The picks ultimately led to:

Chicago :

-trubisky (#2 2017)

SF :

-Solomon thomas DE (#3 2017)

-akhello Witherspoon (#66 2017)

-rueben Foster (#31 2017)

-dante Pettis (#44 2018)

Witherspoon, Foster, and Pettis were through packaging their own picks with the ones from the trade, and the other players selected with their picks were kamara, guice, and I forget the others....

It was a bunch of crazy trades!!

I now that was a tangent and I didn't finish it because I got lost in the trade-web ?