Is it wrong to hate mulch?

3 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I’m telling you,

1) avoid everyone all day

2) actually feel good physically 

3) conclude with beer

4) wife is appreciative of efforts to make house look good = makes dinner and/or sex and/or leaves you alone 

Mulch is a man’s best friend!

Let’s shuffle the cards:

1) Start with beer

2) Everyone avoids the crazy guy who starts with beer

3) Feel great.....due to beer

4) Wife’s always traveling for work, so whatever.....

I can do this without mulch! 

But my Golden is this man’s best friend. She tells me mulch is evil (but then it could have been squirrels or cats, hard to tell). 

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

Let’s shuffle the cards:

1) Start with beer

2) Everyone avoids the crazy guy who starts with beer

3) Feel great.....due to beer

4) Wife’s always traveling for work, so whatever.....

I can do this without mulch! 

But my Golden is this man’s best friend. She tells me mulch is evil (but then it could have been squirrels or cats, hard to tell). 

Well geez....if you have the wife who's traveling AND bring home cash you've got nothing to complain about!

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

Well geez....if you have the wife who's traveling AND bring home cash you've got nothing to complain about!

I live in Atlanta.......

Don’t get me started. I enjoyed living in wonderful places for three decades, then I moved somewhere decidedly less wonderful. If I could move back for half the income, I’d do it in a heartbeat. Money isn’t everything, happiness is everything. But she loves her work, and I love her. And money does not suck.  Life.....it’s a bunch of trade offs. 

7 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

I'm a gardening nut! I am soooooo anxious to get my tomatoes going!

I want to punch a tomato! I tried for several years and they always failed me! That’s why God invented farmers markets, I suppose. 

6 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I usually end up gett 6-8 scoops a year. I spent a food portion of the day weeding 2 flower beads and am only about 1/8 of the way done. I'm seriously considering turning some of them into grass. It's getting to be too much to maintain. 

I spent part of my day taking the front lawn then adding top soil and seeding. Half of my seed had been attacked by a mouse in my garage and the bags were all open inside the plastic tote I was storing them in. Then the soil I was using I order last year to do this (but ran out of time) the centre of the bag was frozen from the winter and now I have to wait for it to thaw (it was a cubic yard of soils that gets delivered in a bag similar to what tarps are made of)

Google: gardens with ground cover

There are tons of thick, fast growing ground covers that are very low maintenance and can actually beautify your gardens without the issues and sight blight that mulch brings. 

• Like (+1) 1

I hate mulch, too much work and cost at the beginning of the season.

I replaced my mulch with stones. If you go the stone route, you have to lay landscaping fabric first, otherwise the stones end of sinking down.

On 4/13/2019 at 5:17 PM, Gugny said:

I used to use mulch.  Gigantic pain in the ass and I haven't used it in years.  You can't rake leaves off of it.  You can't use your blower.  It doesn't hold its color.  It attracts bugs/termites.

I hate mulch.

And it enables trees to become diseased.

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

Winter isn't done yet in WNY, we'll get more snow. I start planting around memorial day.

Last year my daffodils started blooming in February this year they started blooming last week.

We got 4 inches here.  But quick warm up. 50° tomorrow, 70° on Tuesday. Is this what the South has to deal with in the dead of winter?  Peace of cake.

On 4/13/2019 at 5:42 PM, Joe in Winslow said:

Asking for a friend

I use river rocks (medium) in my gardens.   Much easier to deal with. No odors or mildew.  

6 by 15 cost me $50.   I spend maybe $15 a year to fill in what sinks into the soil (from walking through it tending the flowers)