All Roads Lead to the Ukraine

John Solomon this evening...

Ukrainian who meddled against Trump in 2016 is now under Russia-corruption cloud

</snip>

The country’s chief corruption prosecutor on Thursday opened an investigation into “suspicions” that Serhiy Leshchenko, a crusading anti-corruption member of Ukraine’s parliament and former investigative journalist, accepted bribes in 2016 from a Russian source that enabled him to buy a luxury condo far above his means.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

John Solomon this evening...

Ukrainian who meddled against Trump in 2016 is now under Russia-corruption cloud

</snip>

The country’s chief corruption prosecutor on Thursday opened an investigation into “suspicions” that Serhiy Leshchenko, a crusading anti-corruption member of Ukraine’s parliament and former investigative journalist, accepted bribes in 2016 from a Russian source that enabled him to buy a luxury condo far above his means.

</snip>

First rule of being corrupt: Don't make it ***** obvious that you're corrupt.

• Like (+1) 3

Ukraine is gonna be an "interesting".

The PM is resigning Wednesday, the Defense Minister resigned via Facebook,  what else is going to happen I wonder?

Ukrainian TV star Volodymyr Zelenskiy has sought to capitalize on his huge popularity, dissolving the country's parliament Monday minutes after he was sworn in as president.

Zelenskiy, who won 73% of the vote last month in his landslide victory, slammed parliament as a hot-bed of self-enrichment, and promised to stop the war in the east against Russian-backed separatists.

The president's bold move to dissolve the Supreme Rada followed the failure of a majority of lawmakers to use parliamentary ruses to hamper Zelenskiy's plans.

Zelenskiy's victory reflected Ukrainians' exhaustion with widespread corruption and the country's political elite. 

</snip>

After he was sworn in but before he moved to dissolve parliament, Zelenskiy asked the Supreme Rada to adopt a bill against illegal enrichment and support his motions to fire the country's defense minister, the head of the Ukrainian Security Service and the Prosecutor General. All of them are allies of former President Petro Poroshenko, who lost the election to the comedian with no previous political experience but who played the Ukrainian president on a popular TV show for years.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

@Deranged Rhino put the ABC article in another thread, so I will toss this article in here:

Former Ukrainian Prosecutor: ‘No Doubt’ Joe Biden Forced Me Out to Protect Hunter Biden

A former Ukrainian prosecutor general is speaking out after Vice President Joe Biden forced him out of his job.

Speaking to ABC News, former Prosecutor General Viktor Shokin said he has “no doubt” Biden wanted him gone to help protect Hunter Biden’s employer.

At the time, Shokin was investigating Burisma Holdings while Biden’s son Hunter was on the board earning as much as $50,000 a month.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2019 at 12:52 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

*Starting a mega-thread for all the Ukrainian related tentacles of this story. Will do a proper OP write up for it, but I'm still putting my arms around the whole story. 

Will be adding more, but these are relevant stories:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/gregory-craig-former-obama-white-house-counsel-indicted-for-offering-false-statements-related-to-ukraine-work-in-latest-mueller-fallout/2019/04/11/f9aa260e-5c53-11e9-a00e-050dc7b82693_story.html

Since we almost never hear anything about Gregory Craig in the news, I thought I publish some links about what is going on leading up to his trial. Very little is out there on any of the search engines. Kinda... odd. A sign of things to come? 

Judge blocks evidence that Greg Craig sought job for Manafort daughter

A federal judge on Wednesday granted a defense motion to keep jurors from hearing about former White House Counsel Greg Craig’s efforts to get a job for Paul Manafort’s daughter at Craig’s law firm while Craig was engaged in a multimillion-dollar assignment for the government of Ukraine.

Craig is set to go on trial in Washington next month on two felony charges alleging that he made false and misleading statements to the Justice Department in connection with the project to prepare a report for public release on a controversial prosecution in Ukraine that many critics regarded as politically motivated.

</snip>

What's been going on << paid subscription 

Greg Craig, Feds Say Ukraine Trial Should Last 2½ Weeks (mid August trial date, I could not find the start date)
Former Skadden partner Gregory Craig and federal prosecutors have released a joint pretrial statement, voir dire, and jury instructions, agreeing Monday that a looming trial to determine whether Craig lied to U.S. Department of Justice officials about 

Jury Instructions

• Thank you (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Politico is covering...

Trial of former Obama White House counsel Greg Craig delayed over jury issue

The trial of former Obama White House counsel Greg Craig on a criminal false-statement charge hit a last-minute snag Tuesday after prosecutors and the defense raised belated concerns about the jury selection process.

Opening statements in the case — which was investigated by former special counsel Robert Mueller’s office — were expected Tuesday morning, but U.S. District Court Judge Amy Berman Jackson shocked many in the courtroom by announcing that limits she placed on public access to jury selection Monday may have violated Craig’s constitutional right to a public trial.

</snip>

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

Longtime lobbyist and former congressman Vin Weber resigns from consulting firm

Vin Weber, the former Minnesota congressman who has provided guidance to Republican presidential candidates and corporate executives, resigned his position Friday as a partner in a prominent consulting firm amid ongoing questions about lobbying work he did for Ukrainian interests.

In a letter to the chief executive of Mercury LLC, where he has worked since 2011, Weber wrote that continued attention on his Ukrainian work “has become a distraction for me and for the important work that Mercury is doing.” Weber said he would now “focus my time and energy on protecting my reputation.”

</snip>

Separately, prosecutors in the Southern District of New York have been examining Weber and Podesta’s lobbying work.

The Podesta Group and Mercury had reported in lobbying disclosures that they represented the European Center for a Modern Ukraine, a Brussels-based nonprofit organization that sought to help Ukraine improve its image in the West from 2012 to 2014.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Interesting strategy here ... kicking over the hornets nest in Ukraine will sully more on the left than Trump, including Joe Biden. But I presume the calculus at play here is, "if we do it first, then we can claim whatever Trump/Barr brings up is retaliatory!" 

Won't work.

How stupid is it that they completely forgot the whole "Trump is doing Putin's bidding threatening Ukraine?"  This would have been the perfect time to stoke the Russia fires.

You know what the biggest part of selling a credible conspiracy theory is?  A coherent narrative.  Democrats don't have one.  They just have random spasms of outrage.  They think they're writing Goodfellas, when they're actually writing Aquaman.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

How stupid is it that they completely forgot the whole "Trump is doing Putin's bidding threatening Ukraine?"  This would have been the perfect time to stoke the Russia fires.

You know what the biggest part of selling a credible conspiracy theory is?  A coherent narrative.  Democrats don't have one.  They just have random spasms of outrage.  They think they're writing Goodfellas, when they're actually writing Aquaman.

I thought is was more like F Troop.

:lol: Because of course it is. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/whistleblower-complaint-about-president-trump-involves-ukraine-according-to-two-people-familiar-with-the-matter/2019/09/19/07e33f0a-daf6-11e9-bfb1-849887369476_story.html

The Ukraine is in so many ways the *****-up that exposed the whole rotten cabal of corruption on both sides of the aisle. The probability that this story will blow up in Schiff's face just went up 100%. 

• Thank you (+1) 2