Sweet Spots for Trade up during Draft

I don't think the Bills will trade our 1st in 2020 to move up in this draft so I'm listing the teams where we can move up to that meets the value . 

Top Players the Bills will target to move up for Bosa, Allen, Quinnen or possibly Oliver 

#5 Bucs- The Bucs have needs at LB, Pass Rush and possibly Oline so there definitely a team that can entertain moving back with the Bills if there's a player or players they identify at #9 . The cost could be a 2nd this yr and a 3rd in 2020 or and even more to move up for us.

#6 NYG- Same as the Bucs the Giants have many holes to fill can be willing to move bk 3 spots to #9 , price possibly a 3 & 5 to get there .

Bottom of first 

21/22 Seahawks or Ravens  I listed these teams together because there pretty much in the same situation . They both don't have a 2nd rd pk and there both teams that love to take BPA . Knowing this draft has the same type of players from 20s to 40s these 2 teams will look to move bk.  The Price is a 2nd, 3rd , 4th & 5th . I also have been hearing multiple reports that these teams are both seeking to trade bk.

Now depending on who we take at #9 these can be the player or players we move up for. 

# 9 - Hock, if we draft Hockenson the Bills can possibly move up for either DTs Wilkins, Simmons, Tillery or Lawerence and at DE Burns or Ferrell.  

# 9- Oliver or Sweat- if we go DT or DE I wouldn't rule out us trading up for the other position on the Dline . Same players I listed above can be there . Also if we are seeking a player on offense the targets can be TE Noah Fant or WR DK Metcalf. 

The question is what would be the best combination to trade up for in this draft. These are just a few examples here on the bottom feel free to come up with your own. 

1. Hock and Wilkins 

2. Oliver and Fant 

3. Oliver and Burns

4. Sweat and Simmons

Edited by BillsFan1988
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, racketmaster said:

I’d love the second scenario where we draft Oliver/Sweat but trade back up for AJ Brown. Bills would add 2 immediate impacts on both sides of the ball. 

That's definitely a possibility I should of probably added more Wrs to the list but figured the Bills would wait till #40 because the value is great at that pt for that position. 

While I agree we don't need to draft and add ten new players, we have more than needs at only two positions, so don't like giving up all those picks either and have nothing left at the top of the draft.

Personally I'd rather see them trade down at 9 a few spots maybe to around 13, pick up a n extra pick or two, at a minimum another teams 2nd, then do the trade up as still have at least another 2nd or 3rd left over.

That is something that worries me, the long term plan is to build thru the draft which I think is the right way and do believe that is the plan.  With all the players they just signed, it doesn't leave much room to draft guys and still keep all the players they just signed at certain positions, particularly thru at O-line, just not enough roster spots.  Wouldn't surprise me to see a couple of the guys they just signed end up getting cut.

• Like (+1) 1

No TE  at pick 9 or anywhere in the first. 

Stay at nine and get an impact player in the DL. I really think this is what the Bills do. There will be someone they like available there. 

After that I think all bets are off as to what Beane does. I know he will move around some. Get back an extra pick or two in the top 100 by using the later picks. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I would love the combo of Hockenson and Wilkins. Hockenson is a complete TE and is a huge position of need. Wilkins seems like a process guy through and through and is highly productive and hungry. To me, this would be a huge haul and would be a win no matter what else happens. And we would still have fourth and fifth round picks to address RB. 

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Seoul_panther said:

It’s funny how fans want the moon to move back but think a trade up can be achieved relatively cheaply. I think it’s fun to imagine but I can’t see an early round 1 trade up. Rd2 and 3 absolutely.

There's usually a premium on moving up, but trades usually don't differ all that much from the established value charts readily available online.  It wouldn't cost our 2nd and next years 1st to move up 4 spots.

2 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I don't think the Bills will trade our 1st in 2020 to move up in this draft so I'm listing the teams where we can move up to that meets the value . 

Top Players the Bills will target to move up for Bosa, Allen, Quinnen or possibly Oliver 

#5 Bucs- The Bucs have needs at LB, Pass Rush and possibly Oline so there definitely a team that can entertain moving back with the Bills if there's a player or players they identify at #9 . The cost could be a 2nd this yr and a 3rd in 2020 or and even more to move up for us.

#6 NYG- Same as the Bucs the Giants have many holes to fill can be willing to move bk 3 spots to #9 , price possibly a 3 & 5 to get there .

Bottom of first 

21/22 Seahawks or Ravens  I listed these teams together because there pretty much in the same situation . They both don't have a 2nd rd pk and there both teams that love to take BPA . Knowing this draft has the same type of players from 20s to 40s these 2 teams will look to move bk.  The Price is a 2nd, 3rd , 4th & 5th . I also have been hearing multiple reports that these teams are both seeking to trade bk.

Now depending on who we take at #9 these can be the player or players we move up for. 

# 9 - Hock, if we draft Hockenson the Bills can possibly move up for either DTs Wilkins, Simmons, Tillery or Lawerence and at DE Burns or Ferrell.  

# 9- Oliver or Sweat- if we go DT or DE I wouldn't rule out us trading up for the other position on the Dline . Same players I listed above can be there . Also if we are seeking a player on offense the targets can be TE Noah Fant or WR DK Metcalf. 

The question is what would be the best combination to trade up for in this draft. These are just a few examples here on the bottom feel free to come up with your own. 

1. Hock and Wilkins 

2. Oliver and Fant 

3. Oliver and Burns

4. Sweat and Simmons

Great post.  

2 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

1. Hock and Wilkins 

2. Oliver and Fant 

3. Oliver and Burns

4. Sweat and Simmons

Of these possibilities, Oliver and Fant excites me the most.  

(Followed by Hock and Wilkins)

Edited by buffaloboyinATL
  • Like (+1) 3

If we're moving up from #9 (which I am all for if they love a guy), I dont want to give up our 2nd round pick.

But I really like the idea of staying at #9, and moving back into the late 1st by packaging our 2nd and other picks.

Team needs young talent.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If we're moving up from #9 (which I am all for if they love a guy), I dont want to give up our 2nd round pick.

But I really like the idea of staying at #9, and moving back into the late 1st by packaging our 2nd and other picks.

Team needs young talent.

This. ^

i really believe it is what we will do and I am all for it. Quality over quantity.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

While I agree we don't need to draft and add ten new players, we have more than needs at only two positions, so don't like giving up all those picks either and have nothing left at the top of the draft.

Personally I'd rather see them trade down at 9 a few spots maybe to around 13, pick up a n extra pick or two, at a minimum another teams 2nd, then do the trade up as still have at least another 2nd or 3rd left over.

That is something that worries me, the long term plan is to build thru the draft which I think is the right way and do believe that is the plan.  With all the players they just signed, it doesn't leave much room to draft guys and still keep all the players they just signed at certain positions, particularly thru at O-line, just not enough roster spots.  Wouldn't surprise me to see a couple of the guys they just signed end up getting cut.

I think that is Beane's (wise) plan all along.

You cant fill 2 holes with just 2 signings and expect it to work out. At best, about half the players teams bring in through FA or drafting work out, so you have to get quality and quantity. Otherwise, you get in a situation like the Derrick Dockery/Langston Walker debacle. Tie up a ton of money on just 2 players, and if one or neither work out, you are screwed.

Instead, Beane has brought in 6 guys, with (Im assuming) the hopes that 3-4 work out.

This is also going to make camp really fun. Having these veterans fighting for not only starting spots, but roster spots as well, is going to be quite the battle. And hopefully iron sharpens the iron.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

15 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think that is Beane's (wise) plan all along.

You cant fill 2 holes with just 2 signings and expect it to work out. At best, about half the players teams bring in through FA or drafting work out, so you have to get quality and quantity. Otherwise, you get in a situation like the Derrick Dockery/Langston Walker debacle. Tie up a ton of money on just 2 players, and if one or neither work out, you are screwed.

Instead, Beane has brought in 6 guys, with (Im assuming) the hopes that 3-4 work out.

This is also going to make camp really fun. Having these veterans fighting for not only starting spots, but roster spots as well, is going to be quite the battle. And hopefully iron sharpens the iron.

The only worry I have about going this route which I do believe is going to happen to some extent is you don't develop enough time with the starters all working together.  Think that was part of the issue last year with both the line and QB, all the constant changing, not one getting enough time with the starting group.

It may mean the first month of the season until they have time to work the bugs out, people will be ripping Beane and the team for the poor play of the line.  I do feel three spots are set, Morse, Spain, and Dawkins, so only have churn at two positions.

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The only worry I have about going this route which I do believe is going to happen to some extent is you don't develop enough time with the starters all working together.  Think that was part of the issue last year with both the line and QB, all the constant changing, not one getting enough time with the starting group.

It may mean the first month of the season until they have time to work the bugs out, people will be ripping Beane and the team for the poor play of the line.  I do feel three spots are set, Morse, Spain, and Dawkins, so only have churn at two positions.

I hear ya, but I dont think it's that big of a deal. Most teams use Training Camp to play around with different OL combos before finally setting all positions. I know we have a lot more new faces than usual, but the flip side is that they are all seasoned vets, so they should gel fairly quickly.

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

There's usually a premium on moving up, but trades usually don't differ all that much from the established value charts readily available online.  It wouldn't cost our 2nd and next years 1st to move up 4 spots.

Oh yeah I agree. But nobody is moving back for a third and a fifth. That’s wishful thinking. You have to accept that you are going to lose value picks this year and/or next.