Whatever Happened To Mike Quick?

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

On the contrary, Coach Stephenson would have said the Bills showed ‘character’ with that move.  Coach Bullough, however, would have noted that it took the ‘sails out of the Bills’ wind’.  ?

More annoying than Kelso?!

? 

2 hours ago, fansince88 said:

I would rather listen to John Murphy call a Bills Fins or Bills Jests game any day. At least he keeps you glued to the game. 

You are a fan of the Bills and want to hear a Bills homer on the radio?

shocked

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

The floodgates are open.  I can see it now...

Hi guys!  Anyone know what happened to Don Majkowski?

Next day...

Hi guys!  Anyone know what happened to Brett Favre?

Next day...

Antonio Freeman

Robert Brooks

Bryce Paup

Jimmy Bratworst

Harold Sauerkraut

etc...

Yourlife is ruined now?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

The floodgates are open.  I can see it now...

Hi guys!  Anyone know what happened to Don Majkowski?

Next day...

Hi guys!  Anyone know what happened to Brett Favre?

Next day...

Antonio Freeman

Robert Brooks

Bryce Paup

Jimmy Bratworst

Harold Sauerkraut

etc...

Heaven forbid someone asks a legit question to a well-informed community. Shame on me

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

Perry Tuttle???

Then Tony Hunter in 83..........

Then Greg Bell in 84 (even though he wasn’t awful with the Bills, just didn’t mesh when Kelly arrived in 86).

Ah, skill position busts in back to back to back drafts.

Good times indeed.

Drew’s brother was a terrible GM

20 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Quick forced to retire because body deserted him...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mcall.com/news/mc-xpm-1991-07-16-2817632-story,amp.html

Interesting but if you look at his stats his numbers were going downhill before that injury. I am certain injuries played a big role in his decline but there had to have been other factors

5 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I must be lost.. Can someone point me in the direction of the Bills message board TBD?

Funny how you didn’t complain to the guy posting about Forrest Gregggg. #selectivewhining

1 hour ago, Buffalo86 said:

Mike Quick developed patellar tendinitis, leading to reduced playing time & his retirement.

And now you know the rest of the story.

You won't find a player that enjoyed playing on that old Veterans Stadium "turf".It was like playing on concrete...

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Hes criticizing you for complaining about a topic you don’t personally don’t like.

Boo hoo.  Someone doesn't like my thread.  Next time maybe considering posting a question about a former Eagle on a Eagles message board.  This is what happens when you need to start a thread on anything and everything that pops into your head.

Carry on.  I'm sure something else thread worthy will pop up any time now. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

??? Early 80's Bills were awesome.  Seriously, those Knox teams were very good, and exciting to watch.  

The 1980 & 1981 seasons on the field don't erase all the blunders & bad decisions made by the Bills until Bill Polian took over and why they were the NFL's laughingstock until Marv showed up in 1986.  I'll start one year before the 1980s, also it should be noted that the Bills were a laughingstock in the late 1960s and mid-late 1970s.  Most of this caused by Ralph's penny-pinching (I'd like to thank author Sal Maiorana and his book Relentless in aiding in the details of the accounts of some of the events below.  I remembered most of them but used his book as a reference to add to the details) :

1979-The Bills become the 1st, and to this date the only, team to ever lose the top pick in the entire NFL draft to the CFL.

1980-Rather than pay him, the Bills trade future HOFer Joe DeLamielleure to Cleveland at age 29, still in his prime.  He played 5 seasons with the Browns after the trade.  

1981-Let's start with the draft, one of the worst in team history, led by #1 pick Booker Moore who missed his rookie year with Guillain-Barre Syndrome and whether it was the aftereffects of the disease or just that he was a bust, he was a bust.  The best picks were in the 9th-11th rounds. 

In June Jim Haslett got so frustrated with his contract negotiations that he filed unfair labor practice charges against the Bills with the National Labor Relations Board.  He later fired his agent & re-signed in August.

1982-The aforementioned Perry Tuttle blunder.  Overall another horrible draft with only Eugene Marve in the 3rd round providing any long term contribution.  

In one of the strangest moments in Bills history the Bills cut rookie kicker Gary Anderson, who went on to a long career in the NFL and kept Nick Mike-Mayer who ended up getting cut in September.  For years there have been rumors that Anderson was so upset with being drafted by the Bills that he tanked preseason so that he could get cut & picked up by the Pittsburgh Steelers.  

In a strike year when no games were played from late September until November 21st Joe Cribbs held out and didn't report until November 24th.  

1983-Chuck Knox resigns after the 1982 season, starting the eras of Kay Stephenson & subsequently Hank Bullough.

Jim Kelly is in the Bills offices talking contract and the USFL calls to tell him not to sign with the Bills.  A secretary takes the call & interrupts the meeting so Kelly can talk with the USFL representative-IN THE BILLS OFFICE!   He signs with the USFL and we lose 3 seasons without him before finally signing him in 1986.

In July Joe Cribbs has now had enough with the Bills and signs a future contract with the USFL. He plays in 1983 and leaves for the USFL after the season.  Losing him and Jim Kelly set the stage for back to back 2-14 seasons although Cribbs does return in midseason 1985. 

1984-The Bills are now a laughingstock on the field as well as off it, going 2-14 and having the worst record in the NFL. 

1985-In spite of having the worst record in 1984, the Bills retain coach Kay Stephenson.

The Bills deal the 1st pick in the supplemental draft to Cleveland so that Cleveland can draft Bernie Kosar.  Part of the deal includes sending talented LB Chip Banks to Buffalo.  Banks refuses to report & the trade is revised where Banks is allowed to return to Cleveland rather than ever play for the Bills.  

In October the Kay Stephenson era ends with his firing and the elevation of the man who will go down in history as one of the worst, if not the worst head coaches in Bills history, Hank Bullough.  

Later in October Joe Cribbs returns from the USFL.  Within a month he has become so disgruntled that he put strips of athletic tape on his locker with a sign that read "Buffalo Prison"  

1986-The Bills finally started doing things right, signed Jim Kelly and under new GM Bill Polian's urging, got Ralph to loosen his wallet and put together a decent staff off the field.  Of course, the Marv Levy era didn't start until after the Bills traded the multi-year disgruntled Joe Cribbs and had the embarrassment of the team's defensive players tanking in Tampa in order to get Hank Bullough fired.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Boo hoo.  Someone doesn't like my thread.  Next time maybe considering posting a question about a former Eagle on a Eagles message board.  This is what happens when you need to start a thread on anything and everything that pops into your head.

Carry on.  I'm sure something else thread worthy will pop up any time now. 

So why didn’t you complain about the Forrest Gregg post?

4 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

So why didn’t you complain about the Forrest Gregg post?

Do I really need to explain the difference between threads on "whatever happened to a run of the mill Eagles WR" and  "an all-time HoF great passed away"?

10 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The 1980 & 1981 seasons on the field don't erase all the blunders & bad decisions made by the Bills until Bill Polian took over and why they were the NFL's laughingstock until Marv showed up in 1986.  I'll start one year before the 1980s, also it should be noted that the Bills were a laughingstock in the late 1960s and mid-late 1970s.  Most of this caused by Ralph's penny-pinching (I'd like to thank author Sal Maiorana and his book Relentless in aiding in the details of the accounts of some of the events below.  I remembered most of them but used his book as a reference to add to the details) :

1979-The Bills become the 1st, and to this date the only, team to ever lose the top pick in the entire NFL draft to the CFL.

1980-Rather than pay him, the Bills trade future HOFer Joe DeLamielleure to Cleveland at age 29, still in his prime.  He played 5 seasons with the Browns after the trade.  

1981-Let's start with the draft, one of the worst in team history, led by #1 pick Booker Moore who missed his rookie year with Guillain-Barre Syndrome and whether it was the aftereffects of the disease or just that he was a bust, he was a bust.  The best picks were in the 9th-11th rounds. 

In June Jim Haslett got so frustrated with his contract negotiations that he filed unfair labor practice charges against the Bills with the National Labor Relations Board.  He later fired his agent & re-signed in August.

1982-The aforementioned Perry Tuttle blunder.  Overall another horrible draft with only Eugene Marve in the 3rd round providing any long term contribution.  

In one of the strangest moments in Bills history the Bills cut rookie kicker Gary Anderson, who went on to a long career in the NFL and kept Nick Mike-Mayer who ended up getting cut in September.  For years there have been rumors that Anderson was so upset with being drafted by the Bills that he tanked preseason so that he could get cut & picked up by the Pittsburgh Steelers.  

In a strike year when no games were played from late September until November 21st Joe Cribbs held out and didn't report until November 24th.  

1983-Chuck Knox resigns after the 1982 season, starting the eras of Kay Stephenson & subsequently Hank Bullough.

Jim Kelly is in the Bills offices talking contract and the USFL calls to tell him not to sign with the Bills.  A secretary takes the call & interrupts the meeting so Kelly can talk with the USFL representative-IN THE BILLS OFFICE!   He signs with the USFL and we lose 3 seasons without him before finally signing him in 1986.

In July Joe Cribbs has now had enough with the Bills and signs a future contract with the USFL. He plays in 1983 and leaves for the USFL after the season.  Losing him and Jim Kelly set the stage for back to back 2-14 seasons although Cribbs does return in midseason 1985. 

1984-The Bills are now a laughingstock on the field as well as off it, going 2-14 and having the worst record in the NFL. 

1985-In spite of having the worst record in 1984, the Bills retain coach Kay Stephenson.

The Bills deal the 1st pick in the supplemental draft to Cleveland so that Cleveland can draft Bernie Kosar.  Part of the deal includes sending talented LB Chip Banks to Buffalo.  Banks refuses to report & the trade is revised where Banks is allowed to return to Cleveland rather than ever play for the Bills.  

In October the Kay Stephenson era ends with his firing and the elevation of the man who will go down in history as one of the worst, if not the worst head coaches in Bills history, Hank Bullough.  

Later in October Joe Cribbs returns from the USFL.  Within a month he has become so disgruntled that he put strips of athletic tape on his locker with a sign that read "Buffalo Prison"  

1986-The Bills finally started doing things right, signed Jim Kelly and under new GM Bill Polian's urging, got Ralph to loosen his wallet and put together a decent staff off the field.  Of course, the Marv Levy era didn't start until after the Bills traded the multi-year disgruntled Joe Cribbs and had the embarrassment of the team's defensive players tanking in Tampa in order to get Hank Bullough fired.  

According to my research the Bills has 3 GM’s during this time period.  Ralph couldn’t hire the right person.  It just shows how he lucked into Bill Polian

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

Do I really need to explain the difference between threads on "whatever happened to a run of the mill Eagles WR" and  "an all-time HoF great passed away"?

Move on.... I’ve taken this to PM

1 minute ago, Buffalo86 said:

That place was a dump, but I loved it.

I heard they had a actual jail in the basement...or maybe that was the old Giant stadium? But yes..Veterans had the worst field in those days and they had massive seams on the turf to cover up where the base areas were (Phillies).