Whatever Happened To Mike Quick?

Take a break from NFL Draft talk and let’s talk 1980’s football.  Some people will have to fill me in here.  As a youth I remember reading old NFL books in our school library and seeing a WR on the Eagles called Mike Quick.  An extremely interesting name considering his position.  That’s like a QB called Johnny Strongarm.

I digress.... Anyway by the time I started watching football, Quick was long gone and as a kid I always wondered what happened to him.

Recently I came across the name when looking up 99 yard TD scoring plays.  I happened to check out Quick’s stats and he put up some huge numbers his first few years.    He had the potential to be a top WR of the 1980’s, if not a HOF talent if he kept up the pace of his first 4 seasons.   Like a Jerry Rice level talent. 

But he didn’t - he fell off a cliff big time.  I’m wondering what happened with Quick?  I know he retired because of knee problems in 1990 but his stats seemed to have hit the wall years before then.

Http://www.nfl.com/player/mikequick/2523644/careerstats

Edited by BillyWhiteShows

41 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Sorry, don't know what happened to Quick...  but if you're interested in old Eagles, Quick and McNabb were the poor man's version of Harold Charmichael and Randall Cunningham.  Keith Jackson was an unstoppable force at TE, too.  

Wilbert Montgomery was a stud until he blew his knee.

Bunch of early eighties rbs blew out. William Andrews and Billy Sims come to mind.

In 1982 the Eagles were drafting 20th & the Bills were drafting 21st.  Both teams wanted to draft WRs.  The Bills decided they needed to leapfrog over the Eagles so they traded a 3rd round pick & their 1st rounder to Denver to move up from 21 to 19.  With that pick the Bills selected WR Perry Tuttle.  The Eagles then selected Mike Quick with pick 20 of the 1st round.  Tuttle lasted 2 seasons with the Bills, he was traded for a 7th round pick the preseason of his 3rd year in Buffalo.  A year later he was permanently out of the NFL & played the rest of his career in Canada.  Trading up to leapfrog Philadelphia for a player who lasted 2 seasons was one of many blunders that made the Bills the NFL's laughingstock in the early-mid 1980s. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

In 1982 the Eagles were drafting 20th & the Bills were drafting 21st.  Both teams wanted to draft WRs.  The Bills decided they needed to leapfrog over the Eagles so they traded a 3rd round pick & their 1st rounder to Denver to move up from 21 to 19.  With that pick the Bills selected WR Perry Tuttle.  The Eagles then selected Mike Quick with pick 20 of the 1st round.  Tuttle lasted 2 seasons with the Bills, he was traded for a 7th round pick the preseason of his 3rd year in Buffalo.  A year later he was permanently out of the NFL & played the rest of his career in Canada.  Trading up to leapfrog Philadelphia for a player who lasted 2 seasons was one of many blunders that made the Bills the NFL's laughingstock in the early-mid 1980s. 

Interesting.... that is quite the blunder

??? Early 80's Bills were awesome.  Seriously, those Knox teams were very good, and exciting to watch.  

Perry Tuttle???

Then Tony Hunter in 83..........

Then Greg Bell in 84 (even though he wasn’t awful with the Bills, just didn’t mesh when Kelly arrived in 86).

Ah, skill position busts in back to back to back drafts.

Good times indeed.

Trading up to leapfrog Philadelphia for a player who lasted 2 seasons was one of many blunders that made the Bills the NFL's laughingstock in the early-mid 1980s. 

On the contrary, Coach Stephenson would have said the Bills showed ‘character’ with that move.  Coach Bullough, however, would have noted that it took the ‘sails out of the Bills’ wind’.  ?

59 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

And he's terrible at it lol

More annoying than Kelso?!

13 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I must be lost.. Can someone point me in the direction of the Bills message board TBD?

Exactly, who cares about some random eagles wr from 30 years ago. Why is this even a thread 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The Bills have demonstrated an almost magical ability to trade up to take the wrong player, which is an indictment of how bad their scouting and personnel decision making have been over the decades -- and that seems to regardless of the regime.   Their more recent trade up faux pas include trading back into the 1st in 2004 to draft JP Losman when they could have taken Matt Schaub in the 2nd or even maybe the third and gotten a significantly better QB -- or they could have simply waited until 2005 to take Aaron Rodgers with their #18 pick.  Russ Brandon and Dick Jauron traded back into the first round in 2006 to take John McCargo who barely played because of injury issues so just about anybody else would have been a better pick.  In 2012 Buddy Nix traded up in the third round to take forgettable WR TJ Graham instead of taking QB Russell Wilson.  In 2014, the  Bills traded their 2014 and 2015 first round picks to draft WR Sammy Watkins rather than Odell Beckham Jr or Mike Evans.  Finally, Brandon and McDermott traded up in the 2nd round in 2017 to take Zay Jones rather than JuJu Smith-Schuster.  Hopefully, Beane breaks the pattern because he traded up twice in the first round of the 2018 draft to take Josh Allen and/or Tremaine Edmunds.

Edited by SoTier
corrected 2017 to 2018
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

And he's terrible at it lol

Its hard to listen to NFL local radio calls unless you are cheering for that team. The homerism  is the worst in sports.

23 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Its hard to listen to NFL local radio calls unless you are cheering for that team. The homerism  is the worst in sports.

I would rather listen to John Murphy call a Bills Fins or Bills Jests game any day. At least he keeps you glued to the game. 

8 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Take a break from NFL Draft talk and let’s talk 1980’s football.  Some people will have to fill me in here.  As a youth I remember reading old NFL books in our school library and seeing a WR on the Eagles called Mike Quick.  An extremely interesting name considering his position.  That’s like a QB called Johnny Strongarm.

I digress.... Anyway by the time I started watching football, Quick was long gone and as a kid I always wondered what happened to him.

Recently I came across the name when looking up 99 yard TD scoring plays.  I happened to check out Quick’s stats and he put up some huge numbers his first few years.    He had the potential to be a top WR of the 1980’s, if not a HOF talent if he kept up the pace of his first 4 seasons.   Like a Jerry Rice level talent. 

But he didn’t - he fell off a cliff big time.  I’m wondering what happened with Quick?  I know he retired because of knee problems in 1990 but his stats seemed to have hit the wall years before then.

Http://www.nfl.com/player/mikequick/2523644/careerstats

I had a similar thing where I saw a book that included Rogers Hornsby.  Does anyone know what happened to him?  Why was his first name plural?  Is he related to Bruce Hornsby?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The floodgates are open.  I can see it now...

Hi guys!  Anyone know what happened to Don Majkowski?

Next day...

Hi guys!  Anyone know what happened to Brett Favre?

Next day...

Antonio Freeman

Robert Brooks

Bryce Paup

Jimmy Bratworst

Harold Sauerkraut

etc...

• Like (+1) 1