18 Free Agents 10 Observations

I was originally of the thought they wouldn’t go OL at 9, but I think Jonah Williams makes a lot of sense for them especially after Daniel Jeremiah’s comments about hearing his name rumored with Buffalo throughout the process. He’s versatile and would make the line really strong after Allen really had to run for his life all last season. 

9 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

I was originally of the thought they wouldn’t go OL at 9, but I think Jonah Williams makes a lot of sense for them especially after Daniel Jeremiah’s comments about hearing his name rumored with Buffalo throughout the process. He’s versatile and would make the line really strong after Allen really had to run for his life all last season. 

Jeremiah hears what the Bills want him to hear. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

Jeremiah hears what the Bills want him to hear. 

Possibly. But word last year got out that they liked Allen. So idk. It’s hard to get a grasp on what they’re looking for. Regardless I won’t be disappointed unless they take a RB or CB at #9

2 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

Possibly. But word last year got out that they liked Allen. So idk. It’s hard to get a grasp on what they’re looking for. Regardless I won’t be disappointed unless they take a RB or CB at #9

Was that Jeremiah?

The only observation with which I have any issue is #4 (bundling low round draft picks to move up. It's not that they won't .  I just don't think it's the no brainer you assume it to be.  Just because 18 free agents were signed to the team does not necessarily mean all 18 will make the team.  Most of them seem to be higher quality that scrub level, but that still doesn't mean they have guaranteed spots.  What it does mean is that Beane is not constrained to plug holes through the draft, for the most part at least.  He has some flexibility.  That flexibility could be manifested in some trades if the right player is sitting at a spot where Beane can make the trade, but may not be there when the Bills would normally be on the clock.  Just remember that in theory  every draft pick traded away means one more UDFA signed after the draft to fill out the 90 man training camp roster.  Except for the rare gem like Foster and Wallace, those are the real scrubs who add little to competition for roster spots.

Regarding #8: it's strange that Antonio Brown seemed for such a long time to be a solid team mate and locker room guy, and all of a sudden starts throwing people under the bus.  I get Ben Rottenberger, who threw Brown under the bus first, but all JuJu Smith Schuster did was support a teammate.  I guess what it shows is that Antonio Brow, despite his football skills is really just an immature kid.  He may have been fine as a teammate if he had signed with the Bills, but that's water under the bridge.  I'm not going to fret about it.

Edited by TigerJ

11 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

The only observation with which I have any issue is #4 (bundling low round draft picks to move up. It's not that they won't .  I just don't think it's the no brainer you assume it to be.  Just because 18 free agents were signed to the team does not necessarily mean all 18 will make the team.  Most of them seem to be higher quality that scrub level, but that still doesn't mean they have guaranteed spots.  What it does mean is that Beane is no constrained to pug holes in the draft, for the most part at least.  He has some flexibility.  That flexibility could be manifested in some trades if the right player is sitting at a spot where Beane can make the trade, but may not be there when the Bills would normally be on the clock.  Just remember that in theory  every draft pick traded away means one more UDFA signed after the draft to fill out the 90 man training camp roster.  Except for the rare gem like Foster and Wallace, those are the real scrubs who add little to competition for roster spots.

Regarding #8: it's strange that Antonio Brown seemed for such a long time to be a solid team mate and locker room guy, and all of a sudden starts throwing people under the bus.  I get Ben Rottenberger, who threw Brown under the bus first, but all JuJu Smith Schuster did was support a teammate.  I guess what it shows is that Antonio Brow, despite his football skills is really just an immature kid.  He may have been fine as a teammate if he had signed with the Bills, but that's water under the bridge.  I'm not going to fret about it.

Yup.  As for AB, I can see him thinking that what happened with him and Mike Wallace years ago was going to play out with JSS.

50 minutes ago, Doc said:

Was that Jeremiah?

Not sure. Saw it last year in Bleacher with Matt Millerand I believe a few others. I apologize bc I don’t have links so I’m really confirming my observations, but I do remember him (and Darnold) being their favorites. 

Just now, Dkollidas said:

Not sure. Saw it last year in Bleacher with Matt Millerand I believe a few others. I apologize bc I don’t have links so I’m really confirming my observations, but I do remember him (and Darnold) being their favorites. 

No wait, it was Allbright.  I'd trust him but even then...

3 hours ago, Toesy said:

They were also impressive last year signing Wallace and Foster after the draft. Overall, IMO Beane and his team know what they are doing-they sometimes make mistakes but they usually don't let them linger-Peterman was the exception IMO.

Good point about Foster and Wallace.

Beanes is trending up i think Toesy !

to our beloved OP ?

Thank you for the inspiring post.
The excellent read 

and the details behind the opinion.
you have my vote !

great post all around there. !! : )

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

My optimism for the upcoming season is as high as giraffe balls.  I not only want the Bills to make it to the playoffs or win the AFC East division or make it to and win the Super Bowl, but I want us to beat the Paytoilets 3 times in the process.

Beating them 2x would be good for me. I'd love to see NE with a losing record and Brady gimping his way into early retirement from the abuse he took playing us.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills roster is at 71. 10 picks wont be any kind of problem...Got room for 10 on the practice squad. This free agent frenzy gives Bills depth,competition,versatility,special teams help,and,at least, fills all the holes with bodies. They improve the overall quality of the roster and Bills shouldnt have to reach or "over-draft".Morse is about the only one that wont be vulnerable to a drafted rookie : no big deal if any one of these guys sits on the bench gets cut,little risk o. Some questions and concerns:Fisher hoping to transition from T to TE...Gore is 36...no Probowlers signed...

10 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree Logic.  As I suggested in my post, I don't think it's just about the new facility.  The Bills seem to be doing everything right.  A few examples, and they aren't just on the management side.  

McDermott's total sincerity. 

Beane's completely straight forward approach with players. 

Allen calling free agents to welcome them. 

Shady recruiting Gore.

Beasley picking the Bills over the Pats.  

The Pegulas continuing dedication to the whole project and their support of McBeane. 

And behind all of it is the fans.  I was doing my taxes and was sure to take the deduction for my $17 donation to the Dalton Foundation.  It reminded me about all of that.  That kind of passion - $400,000 for a desperation TD pass - isn't lost on free agents.  

I never imagined a transformation like this.  

Great post Shaw.

I couldn't agree more.  It seems like the entire Bills organization is undergoing a renaissance. This franchise has been wandering in the desert for twenty years.  I think it is finally our turn again.  Wouldn't it be something for both the Bills and the Browns to make the playoffs this year?   A little bit of redemption for two fans bases who have stayed loyal, weathered the dark days,  paid their dues, and stoically endured all of the snide jokes and humiliation.

This city and it's fans deserve a Super Bowl.  I think we are entering our window of opportunity to contend for one. 

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Great post Shaw.

I couldn't agree more.  It seems like the entire Bills organization is undergoing a renaissance. This franchise has been wandering in the desert for twenty years.  I think it is finally our turn again.  Wouldn't it be something for both the Bills and the Browns to make the playoffs this year?   A little bit of redemption for two fans bases who have stayed loyal, weathered the dark days,  paid their dues, and stoically endured all of the snide jokes and humiliation.

This city and it's fans deserve a Super Bowl.  I think we are entering our window of opportunity to contend for one. 

I agree.  And as I look at what I wrote, none of it had anything to do with Allen's potential on the field.  I'm a homer, for sure, but this all seems so different, so right.  

The way they're doing things, I have a high level of confidence.  Confidence in Daboll rising to his challenges, the oline taking on a winning persona, Beasley and Brown being threats, the defense being solid.  

And then there's Allen.  I don't want to let myself dream about what HE could be. 

Of course, the reality is that it's really hard to win in the NFL.  Really hard. So nothing is a given. 

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree.  And as I look at what I wrote, none of it had anything to do with Allen's potential on the field.  I'm a homer, for sure, but this all seems so different, so right.  

The way they're doing things, I have a high level of confidence.  Confidence in Daboll rising to his challenges, the oline taking on a winning persona, Beasley and Brown being threats, the defense being solid.  

And then there's Allen.  I don't want to let myself dream about what HE could be. 

Of course, the reality is that it's really hard to win in the NFL.  Really hard. So nothing is a given. 

I am NOT without reservations, but this is WAY too positive for many posters here. 

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

I am NOT without reservations, but this is WAY too positive for many posters here. 

I know, but I'm writing about what it feels like.  What's going on seems very impressive to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I know, but I'm writing about what it feels like.  What's going on seems very impressive to me. 

I am with you 100%. I struggle with those who lean toward the negative, but I’ve also witnessed the last two decades. I get the emotions. But I also realize that we have new owners for the first time ever, along with a new FO. Any talk of the last 20 years is lost on me. It just sounds stupid. If you want to be negative, that’s your choice, but start the day the Pegula’s took over. Rex was a mess, but they didn’t let that linger. 

22 minutes ago, Augie said:

I am with you 100%. I struggle with those who lean toward the negative, but I’ve also witnessed the last two decades. I get the emotions. But I also realize that we have new owners for the first time ever, along with a new FO. Any talk of the last 20 years is lost on me. It just sounds stupid. If you want to be negative, that’s your choice, but start the day the Pegula’s took over. Rex was a mess, but they didn’t let that linger. 

Whether the decisions they make end up being right or wrong they are all on the same page which if nothing else is a good sign.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Whether the decisions they make end up being right or wrong they are all on the same page which if nothing else is a good sign.

And that's ANOTHER good sign. The best franchises have consistency and continuity, and McBeane and the Pegulas are focused on that.