18 Free Agents 10 Observations

Number six is pry the most important as this coaching staff has a tough task ahead of them of getting all the new players signed to buy into the system.  The o-line functioning as a cohesive unit is crucial

• Like (+1) 1

Don't bet that an Andre Roberts return means the difference between a win and a loss. Not unless you get 10 or 20 to one. He's likely to have several biggish returns if he has a big year. The odds that any will be the difference are high. It'll be enough if he affects field position consistently and directly contributes to a couple of scores. That would be success.

If we want to, we could easily find ten guys who make the roster or the practice squad. Might not. But it wouldn't be some incredible feat whatsoever.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, cba fan said:

you forgot Quentin Spain....

I did, Thanks!  He's kinda a big deal too...   I'll jump back into the post and edit it.

• Like (+1) 1

At the least, taking Roberts away from the Jets prevents him from hurting the Bills.  He won that Jets game with his returns.  And I agree with not taking an OL high, but I still say Dawkins is given every chance to win the LT job and does.  Lastly I also agree that moving up in the draft seems likely as it's more about quality than quantity now.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 2

I like the enthusiasm and agree with most but i don't think OL is off the table at #9, the RT position is still lead by a 1st year starter who looked good as a fill in but has never done it FT so it could be a disaster, plus he's 31. I wouldn't be upset if they go a bunch of different routes and I agree we'll be working the draft board, I see us moving back into round 1.

• Like (+1) 1

Great post OP. Your enthusiasm is infectious, and I’m literally so stoked to watch some training camp reps go down, here on a random Friday night/early Sat morning. I can’t find fault with any of your reasoning, and the alchemy employed by Beane to transform the leaks on this roster in literally one offseason probably has Hoodie adding 4 more deep frown lines to his mug. This season can’t get started quickly enough, and I wonder if this is what the offseason on cusp of greatness in like say, 1987 felt like?? (Started following the Bills closely in 90)

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm more optimistic than I have been in a while. I agree though with the OP that finding the starters, melding the talent, and getting the culture right to continue might take some time. I also think the draft is huge. They have a number of "prove it" contracts and finding more talented younger players might be necessary to really maximize this year and those thereafter. I thought this was the most important off season in a long time and while it is off to a good start, a great draft might be game changing.

Edited by BubbaT
  • Like (+1) 1

My optimism for the upcoming season is as high as giraffe balls.  I not only want the Bills to make it to the playoffs or win the AFC East division or make it to and win the Super Bowl, but I want us to beat the Paytoilets 3 times in the process.

Edited by Peace Frog
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

In regards to point 1- If an OT is the best player on their board when they pick then take him.. even if that is early.,

I’m expecting one in the first 4 picks and nothing would really surprise me in respect of which pick..

• Like (+1) 1

4.)  I brought this point up in a thread I started a few weeks ago, with 18 new free agent players we are not going to be able to bring in 10 draft picks who have any sort of chance to make this roster, even if we cut all of the dead wood from last year's roster.  There are only 53 players to be carried into the regular season.  Like many here, I can see Beane bundling picks to move up in the draft repeatedly.  I can also see him trying to turn 2019 draft picks into 2020 picks.

5.)   This is related to the #4 above, I think this year's draft is going to be crazy.  I can see us climbing up and down that draft board like a spider monkey jacked up on Mountain Dew.  I think Beane will be wheeling and dealing like a riverboat gambler.  Don't think it is safe to go to the bathroom at any point during the draft just because the Bills aren't on the clock or you are going to miss something.  God only knows where we are going to end up selecting players this year. This draft is going to be fun!  

I wholeheartedly agree. Beane will use his witchcraft 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Well done, OP!

For me, #6 is now the Big One following this off-season. McDermott’s self-created “Process” hoopla clouds 2 critical scars on his 2 year coaching dossier. Crippling penalties and 4 blowout loses both years. His teams are actually worse in these aspects than the clown show he replaced. If he’s chewing heads off and threatening jobs over this behind the scenes, it hasn’t had any impact to date. Allen lost a 1000 yrds passing through penalties and it seemed every kick return drew a flag. Not to be outdone, his ballyhooed Defense surrendered approximately 10 TDs through penalty gifts somewhere in drives. Yes, his choice of starting Peterman can account for 3 of the 8 blowouts, but the fact is only the miracle in Baltimore precluded these smack downs from killing both seasons. Daboll has a history of creating schemes to the specific talents of his players. This bodes well for the overhaul of the Offense. Frazier? Not so much.. Firing the ST Coach was scapegoat for having very little skill and wounded kickers. Losing the QB Coach Allen professed love for isn’t a ‘good thing’ and neither is the history of hiring a neophyte OL Coach.

As for the plethora of Draft picks, I don’t see the rest of the teams being as crazy with trade outs as most Bills fans hope for and it takes willing partners. I hope Beane trades some picks for active players with real chance to make & help the team immediately.

Thanks @Inigo Montoya!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was ready to b-i-t-c-h about how long that post was, and then I actually read it.  Well done.  I'm excited about #4 and #5 in particular.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

"I can also see him trying to turn 2019 draft picks into 2020 picks."

Good post, and the above is an interesting point.  The "win now" aspect has been covered with (as you say) 19 free agency signings.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Beane ends up with another team's 2020 selection.  Building for the future...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Mitch Morse,    C,    Kansas City

Ty Nsekhe,    OT,   Washington

Cole Beasley,    WR,   Dallas

Jon Feliciano,    OG,    Oakland

Kevin Johnson,    CB,    Houston

Frank Gore,   RB,   Miami

Senorise Perry,   RB,   Miami

Andre Roberts,   WR/Return,   N.Y. Jets

Spencer Long,    OG/C,    N.Y. Jets

Tyler Kroft,   TE,    Cincy

Jake Fisher,   TE,   Cincy

Eli Harold,   DE,    Detroit

John Brown,   WR,   Baltimore

E.J. Gaines,   CB,    Cleveland

Mo Alexander,    S,   Seattle

LaAdrian Waddle,    OT,  New England

Quinton Spain,   OG,   Tennessee

Duke Williams,   WR,    The Great White North    (Is he technically a free agent signing?)

Christian Wade,   Rugby/ RB?     England   (I'm not even counting him in the numbers, but he would be #19 if I did)

18 Free agents.  That is nuts.  That is a third of the entire 53 man roster.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Ansah in the next week or so if he passes his medical added to the list, and there are rumors out there about Frank Clark in Seattle too.  Ansah would be a big signing, Clark would be seismic.  

Ten Observations;

Offense  14  players  (including 2 special teamers, Roberts WR and Perry RB)

Defense  4   players

1.)  It's easy to see where the emphasis was this off season in free agency.  I was hoping Beane would be able to upgrade two O-line positions in free agency before the draft and it looks like he has upgraded four.  The O-line was clearly the biggest weakness on this team last year.  I think it means we are not going to have to use a high draft pick on an O-lineman this year. I was hoping for an OT in the 1st, but not anymore.  The presence of Morse will be huge.  I think he has all the intangibles of Eric Wood, and is probably a better Center. The lack of an effective center last year was crippling to the entire unit.  We made Morse the highest paid Center in the league and I think it was worth every penny.  It was a weakness that absolutely had to be addressed, if we paid a premium to get him here, so be it.  I think Nsekhe is our starting LT this year.  Can't wait to see all the camp battles on that O-line.

2.)  I think of all the players on the list, the one who might have gone a bit below the radar in terms of his importance, is Andre Roberts from the Jets.  Our return game last season was abysmal.  I would be willing to bet that there will be at least one game this season where his returns will mean the difference between a win and a loss for this team.  How much is an extra win worth in this league?  The difference between 9-7 and 10-6?  It's huge.  Great signing by Beane that gets no love from the media pundits but I think it will be a difference maker.

3.)  Adding Beasley and Brown will hopefully bring some much needed veteran leadership into the receiver's room. They should elevate the play of the other receivers already on the team.  Duke Williams is a big red zone target (Basically a Kelvin Benjamin who gives a sh*t and can catch the ball) and I hope he will end up being a real diamond in the rough.  The Duke might end up being Beane's best sneaky, looking under every rock, acquisition this off season.

4.)  I brought this point up in a thread I started a few weeks ago, with 18 new free agent players we are not going to be able to bring in 10 draft picks who have any sort of chance to make this roster, even if we cut all of the dead wood from last year's roster.  There are only 53 players to be carried into the regular season.  Like many here, I can see Beane bundling picks to move up in the draft repeatedly.  I can also see him trying to turn 2019 draft picks into 2020 picks.

5.)   This is related to the #4 above, I think this year's draft is going to be crazy.  I can see us climbing up and down that draft board like a spider monkey jacked up on Mountain Dew.  I think Beane will be wheeling and dealing like a riverboat gambler.  Don't think it is safe to go to the bathroom at any point during the draft just because the Bills aren't on the clock or you are going to miss something.  God only knows where we are going to end up selecting players this year. This draft is going to be fun!

6.)  Great coaching is going to be critical this season.  I think it is reasonable to assume that after free agency, draft picks, and the one or two training camp surprises, we might be going into the season this year with 50% of the roster being comprised of first year Bills.  McDermott and the coaches are going to have a big job continuing the tough but disciplined, team first culture they have been cultivating over the last couple of seasons.  McDermott mentioned this point at the Owner's Meetings.  Bringing in more capable players is only part of the process, getting them to buy into the teams philosophy and gel as a cohesive unit is another thing all together.  This is going to be McDermott's toughest coaching job yet.  I hope he is up to it.

7.)  There are free agents from 14 different teams on this list.  They are going to report for off season workouts this coming Monday.  They are all going to walk into our brand new, state or the art, best in the league work out facilities and you can bet your ass they will be snap chatting photos of the facilities back to all of their buddies on their old teams and talking smack about how nice it is here in Buffalo.   It's not just the training facilities either.  The meeting rooms, the cafeterias, everything about the One Bills Drive facility that impacts the player's lives on a daily basis has been updated and is state of the art.  There are going to be a lot of people in this league looking at Buffalo differently after next week.  Money very well spent by the Pegulas.  Each of these players will become an ambassador for the Bills around the league.

8.)  Watching Antonio Brown throw JuJu under the bus for no reason this week makes me glad that AB did not end up on this team.  I was excited when the rumors broke and I thought it would be incredible to get him to Buffalo.  No one can dispute the man's ability, the guy is a baller, but he sure looks like a team cancer.  I think we dodged a bullet on that one.

9.)  Beane signed these players to team friendly contracts and didn't mortgage the team's future to do it.  We should have the cap space next year to extend the players signed to short contracts who play hard this season.   We should be able to build a real core of players on this team and not watch our talented players walk out the door to other teams. 

10.)   Lastly, this free agency surpassed any expectations that I had going into it.  It is too early to see how these additions will pan out for the Bills, but I don't think you can objectively look at these signings and not be optimistic that Beane has upgraded the quality of our starters and added real depth to our roster.  I am excited to see what Allen does this season with a real supporting cast.  They got our franchise QB last year and this year they are building a team around him.  

The problem with 4 and 5 are while I agree can't see even close to ten rookies making the the team, plus throw in the one or two surprise undrafted rookies, we don't have much of value to bundle.  I'd be very happy if we could bundle our two 4th, 6th, and 7th rounders to move up to a 3rd rounder, but don't see that happening.  Maybe could trade the 6th and 7th rounders to move up to the 5th?

The only way I can see bundling working decent is if prior to the draft we trade a couple players to pick up maybe a 2nd and 3rd.  That gives you picks to use to move up and also frees up a couple more roster slots for all these new names.

I also will predict at least one if not two of these FA just signed will end up getting cut at the end of camp.