Star Wars - The Rise Of Skywalker

Just Jack

Just got back — went in with low expectations considering the word of mouth and wound up liking it more than I expected. I had some story issues (especially her last line/declaration), and the first 30-40 min moved WAY too fast in spots, but overall it was a fun ride. 

Makes me wonder what they had in store for Leia originally, I know she was going to have a much bigger role before she passed — but they managed with that as best they could. 

:beer: 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Just got back — went in with low expectations considering the word of mouth and wound up liking it more than I expected. I had some story issues (especially her last line/declaration), and the first 30-40 min moved WAY too fast in spots, but overall it was a fun ride. 

Makes me wonder what they had in store for Leia originally, I know she was going to have a much bigger role before she passed — but they managed with that as best they could. 

:beer: 

I do think it would've played better if Luke was her father, but that's just me.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rico said:

Reveal hidden contents

I do think it would've played better if Luke was her father, but that's just me.

I think it works. They've been all about "letting the past die;" it shouldn't dictate who you are; your choices define who you are; yada yada yoda...

I had low expectations going in but came away pleasantly surprised.  By far the best of the new trilogy.

I have a few canon complaints.  Things got a little cheesy at times, there was some SJW nonsense, and a few blatant violations of the Laws of Physics, but overall it's a solid B+.

Early in the film I called what would be the "big reveal", which was kind of a relief

When Palpatine told Kylo that he had created Snoke, I got to thinking that he had also created Rey. 

This was kind of a relief because I had previously thought the reveal would be Rey was Obi-Wan's granddaughter thru some shenanigans during his time on Tatooine, which would have just ended up being a giant movie commercial for Disney+ upcoming Kenobi series

I was kind of hoping the movie would have ended on a scene near the end

Sorry, but it would have just been awesome if this trilogy ended with the resurrection of Palpatine and the series ended with his cackle

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shamrock said:

Saw it with my kids, my youngest loves the series. He wants to know what Finn wanted to ask Rey?

JJ confirmed that Finn wanted to reveal that he thinks he’s force-sensitive and that it was not about anything romantic. Kinda wish they had settled that on-screen, but not a big deal. Maybe in a deleted scene in extras.

My overall thoughts on the trilogy:

TLDR: I think it was probably a mistake to make this trilogy at all; it seems that they simply didn't have an interesting story to tell, and even if they had one, it probably shouldn't have been confined to three movies, but I guess Star Wars = trilogies or something. A series of movies actually showing what the world is like after the Empire is defeated would have been interesting. Instead, they essentially opted to make a movie series in which the Empire wasn't actually defeated and everything was the same as we had left it in the Empire Strikes Back.

I like some of the ideas that came out of this trilogy. Namely:

1. The concept of Finn's character: a stormtrooper that sees the destruction that he's creating and switches sides to join the rebellion.

2. The idea introduced in TLJ that Rey was just a random person who happened to be strong in the force/the kid at the end that seemed to symbolize that any kid could theoretically be a Jedi.

3. The concept of Kylo's character: child of famous rebels going rogue (don't really care one way or the other if he's ultimately redeemed; I think both could have been interesting if done right).

The issue to me is that it was all executed poorly/rushed and ultimately created 1 unoriginal movie and 2 objectively poorly made movies (1 of which was so bad that it wasn't really even entertaining and 1 of which was still fun to watch despite being poorly made).

In an ideal world, I think this should have been spread out over many more movies.

For example, having Finn leave the FO after his opening scene was a mistake. We should have been introduced to him much slower; seeing his character actually develop over time to the point that he realized he was on the wrong side and then either become a spy from within or leave to join the rebels then.

With Kylo, his entire arc was rushed so much that the payoff basically didn't exist. They basically gave us one flashback to show him go bad; a movie series just about him being trained and gradually snapping would have been more interesting than what we ultimately got (though I suppose you could argue that's basically what the prequel trilogy tried to do and that obviously was poorly done too). Still, I think one flashback scene to explain him snapping and one 5 minute scene to explain him being a total good guy again was a very poor idea.

And regarding the idea that anyone could be a Jedi/Rey represented that, obviously JJ destroyed that with TRoS, but I think that was a very powerful idea that happened to be introduced within a terrible movie.

Beyond those things, Poe probably should have died in the first movie if he ever existed at all. Basically everything involving Poe in the trilogy was poorly done and he probably is part of the reason we didn't get to see a good character arc for the more interesting Finn idea.

There was just way too much involvement of the original trilogy's characters/ripping off of the original trilogy and it was often forced in ways that didn't make sense. This partially resulted in what is maybe my biggest complaint: there was essentially zero stakes in this trilogy. Nothing truly bad really ever happened. Kylo didn't win any fights until he became a good guy. Nobody important truly died; even Han, who should have been legitimately gone, was kept alive as a cheap memory. Chewie was literally blown up by Rey and then they were just like "just kidding, you never saw a second ship, but it definitely exists and that's the one that Chewie was on." They couldn't even let C3PO lose his memory. They couldn't let Poe's love interest that nobody even cared about die when her planet got blown to pieces. They showed us her giving Poe her only ticket off the planet and her refusing to leave and then it gets blown up shortly thereafter but she ended up getting off the planet in between.

They also introduced the ultimate bad guy of the entire trilogy via the opening scroll.

In ROTJ, the empire is defeated; the rebels won. TFA begins and basically that didn't actually happen; the empire is still running everything, just with a new name. The rebels are still trying to topple the empire, just with a new name. TRoS ends and the empire is defeated; the rebels won. How are we supposed to actually care? Is there any reason to believe this time, the empire is actually gone? Or will the next trilogy in the Skywalker saga just be like "Honestly, we thought this place was the only secret Sith planet, but there was actually another one and now Palpatine is a jar of goo sitting on that planet running The Second Last Order from there".

All in all, they just never really gave us a reason to care about these movies aside from the fact that it's Star Wars and we like Star Wars. I was still able to enjoy 2/3 movies but they were enjoyed from the angle of being a mindless action flick rather than being actual good movies.
Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My biggest beef with the final trilogy is with the light saber battles when the two people aren't in the same room. We go from the originals where you can only sense someone is nearby if you're actually close to them (Obi-wan/Vader on the Death Star, Vader/Luke on Endor), to "let me just project myself across the galaxy and have a talk/fight with this person".

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

My biggest beef with the final trilogy is with the light saber battles when the two people aren't in the same room. We go from the originals where you can only sense someone is nearby if you're actually close to them (Obi-wan/Vader on the Death Star, Vader/Luke on Endor), to "let me just project myself across the galaxy and have a talk/fight with this person".

Don't forget the new healing powers - seems like that would have been handy in the previous movies.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Don't forget the new healing powers - seems like that would have been handy in the previous movies.

To be fair, that’s been included in the expanded universe for awhile now and was canonized in Mandalorian if not earlier than that. 

I just saw the movie. I stayed out of this thread until I saw it.

I felt obliged to go see this film and had low expectations for it.  I came out with more questions than answers, but I’m not interested enough in any of the new characters to seek answers to my questions.  That being said, I wouldn’t avoid seeing this movie again.  I just wouldn’t pay to see it.

17 hours ago, snafu said:

I just saw the movie. I stayed out of this thread until I saw it.

I felt obliged to go see this film and had low expectations for it.  I came out with more questions than answers, but I’m not interested enough in any of the new characters to seek answers to my questions.  That being said, I wouldn’t avoid seeing this movie again.  I just wouldn’t pay to see it.

I think that’s my problem with it, I just don’t care about any of the new characters in the past 3 movies at all, other than the great Babu. I did see TROS again though and enjoyed it more, tons of action.

4 minutes ago, Rico said:

I think that’s my problem with it, I just don’t care about any of the new characters in the past 3 movies at all, other than the great Babu. I did see TROS again though and enjoyed it more, tons of action.

Babu Frik is awesome!

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, UConn James said:

Interesting bit about the Jannah character’s possible parentage from Lando, whose child after ROTJ was taken by the First Order.

That's lame back story.  I prefer my theory that Billy Dee Williams was chasing some tail

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, /dev/null said:

That's lame back story.  I prefer my theory that Billy Dee Williams was chasing some tail

No doubt. And unless he reproduced asexually, that would seem to be exactly what he did.

——

In another area, a pretty sound hypothesis about Snoke’s origin, since certain things were shown in the opening scenes. How cunning and apropos!

https://apple.news/AcNz5z9CARdC7hxa3_y59jg