Star Wars - The Rise Of Skywalker

Just Jack

9 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

This ***** is so predictable.  I've not been to a movie in a theater in over 10 years but when I saw that X-Wing coming towards her I said out loud "she's going to jump over it!"  ?

that's a TIE Fighter.  Or at least the crappy new trilogy's version of one

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Disney owns the franchise now.  Spend the least, but rake in the most cash you can.

We're doing Dreamscape today.  It's a virtual reality thing in LA. It's done by Disney and it's really good.  

• Like (+1) 1

I liked this trailer until she attempted to jump over a speeding TIE fighter which seems highly unlikely to me, even in a make-believe world filled with amazing Jedi powers.

I did think the early shot of the TIE coming at her was really cool.  You could hear it, see it, and clearly tell it was a TIE fighter; they put in a "heat haze" to depict heat coming off the engines (I guess) and it was clearly kicking up sand/dirt.  The attention to small detail made it realistic and pretty cool.

Then they go full James Bond and have her jump over the thing.  Presumably she will light saber the pilot through the windshield while doing a back flip over the thing, killing him instantly.  Then maybe she'll hop in the vehicle herself and take off in it! 

Why do they have to always go over the top with this stuff?

The strength of the original 3 Star Wars films was that they created a futuristic world filled with advanced technology, but it all seemed familiar.  Stuff broke down, it needed to be repaired, parts had rust on them, all the vehicles were heavily weathered by the model makers.  It was a familiar universe filled with realism despite being so advanced, and that is part of why it was likable and successful.

The end of a saga... thank goodness.

I remember sitting in a movie theater in Boston in 1977 watching Star Wars and being delighted with the simple story, the action, and the special effects. It was a good old-fashioned Saturday afternoon popcorn movie updated with special effects that looked pretty darned good (even 40 years later, they hold up). 

And now? It has been a chore to watch what has come out since the original three. About the only movie in the series I have really enjoyed since the original trilogy was Rogue One. Heck, it has become so boring, I skipped Solo completely. 

Saying that, I will go see this in a movie theater, just because there is no way I cannot. As they said, it is the end of a saga. 

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

46 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

It's Anakin.

The whole saga is about him; he must be part of the ending 

Ugh, are you suggesting Hayden Christenson will be in Episoide IX?

God dammit, now that I think about it that clip had Luke's voice and Palpatine's cackle.  They're going to have HC in as Anakin's Force ghost :wallbash:

How does one top ‘Death Star Canteen LEGO’?!  It cannot be done.

2 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Ugh, are you suggesting Hayden Christenson will be in Episoide IX?

God dammit, now that I think about it that clip had Luke's voice and Palpatine's cackle.  They're going to have HC in as Anakin's Force ghost :wallbash:

Maybe it’s Jeff Vader?

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I liked this trailer until she attempted to jump over a speeding TIE fighter which seems highly unlikely to me, even in a make-believe world filled with amazing Jedi powers.

I did think the early shot of the TIE coming at her was really cool.  You could hear it, see it, and clearly tell it was a TIE fighter; they put in a "heat haze" to depict heat coming off the engines (I guess) and it was clearly kicking up sand/dirt.  The attention to small detail made it realistic and pretty cool.

Then they go full James Bond and have her jump over the thing.  Presumably she will light saber the pilot through the windshield while doing a back flip over the thing, killing him instantly.  Then maybe she'll hop in the vehicle herself and take off in it! 

Why do they have to always go over the top with this stuff?

The strength of the original 3 Star Wars films was that they created a futuristic world filled with advanced technology, but it all seemed familiar.  Stuff broke down, it needed to be repaired, parts had rust on them, all the vehicles were heavily weathered by the model makers.  It was a familiar universe filled with realism despite being so advanced, and that is part of why it was likable and successful.

Yeah, the original trilogy was much more realistic. Thousands of Storm troopers who couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with their guns but could be taken down with one shot from the 'good guys', or a planet size fortress that could be completely destroyed by being hit in one specific small opening.......

5 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

One thing is for certain...the Star Wars fanboys will hate Episode 9 no matter how good or bad it is.  Go to the movie and enjoy the end of the saga....it's a sci-fi movie, not life and death.

Fan boys will hate it because they put the original trilogy so high up on pedestals that it will be impossible to compare, and because the story wont be the way they thought it should go.

Then there a whole new group recently of typically white wannabe macho males who will hate it too because their are woman in prominent roles, along with minorities playing characters and they will cry because its gona all 'SJW!'

15 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Then there a whole new group recently of typically white wannabe macho males who will hate it too because their are woman in prominent roles, along with minorities playing characters and they will cry because its gona all 'SJW!'

Can you feel the radiating glow of good old fashioned Canadian virtue? Woo man lemme grab the 50 spf

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Yeah, the original trilogy was much more realistic. Thousands of Storm troopers who couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with their guns but could be taken down with one shot from the 'good guys', or a planet size fortress that could be completely destroyed by being hit in one specific small opening.......

i believe nextmanup was referring to the "lived in" feeling of the original trilogy versus the shiny new toy feeling of the prequels and new trilogy.

while i agree with the absurdity of the storm troopers poor aim, i have written that off that inconsistency as conscripted soldiers with poor training

6 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Yay!  An SJW!  I bet you're real popular at parties <_<

While you're upset at white boys and toxic masculinity,  have you ever noticed that movie villains are disproportionately white males?   And I've noticed movie villains tend to have British accents.  Shouldn't people of all races and genders be portrayed as evil, or should we focus on a specific group for our two minute hate?

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Fan boys will hate it because they put the original trilogy so high up on pedestals that it will be impossible to compare, and because the story wont be the way they thought it should go.

Dude, the whole saga started with a woman standing up to the most powerful man in the galaxy.

The same woman killed the most vile gangster in the galaxy and rescued her beloved smuggler from said gangster.

Your racism aside, I'm pretty sure that fans won't mind women being in prominent roles.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 2