Bills new workout facility

11 hours ago, Augie said:

Maybe the Bengals could move training into one of the large breweries downtown/OTR for their training facility? What could go wrong? 

They might win a playoff game!  At the very least pick a brewery near a Skyline Chile and you could bulk the linemen up nicely.  With spaghetti, cheddar cheese, brats and beer -  who needs nutritional food.  Stop at one of Jeff Ruby's steak houses and gorge on some prime beef and you can get all the protean you need. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Hey, a lot of jokes in here and all good, but this stuff is really important.

I work for an mlb team as a scout (and only see the states for a week or two a year), but I can tell you that good facilities make a huge difference. When I sign a player, I can legitimately tout our spring training complex. Some are brutal. It makes a difference.

Also, people make fun of "culture", but it is essential to an organization. Nobody wants to be part of a shitshow. Maybe it doesn't make a ten million dollar difference, but when it comes to a ten percent difference, it counts.

Edited by billsintaiwan
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, billsintaiwan said:

Hey, a lot of jokes in here and all good, but this stuff is really important.

I work for an mlb team as a scout (and only see the states for a week or two a year), but I can tell you that good facilities make a huge difference. When I sign a player, I can legitimately tout our spring training complex. Some are brutal. It makes a difference.

Also, people make fun of "culture", but it is essential to an organization. Nobody wants to be part of a shitshow. Maybe it doesn't make a ten million dollar difference, but when it comes to a ten percent difference, it counts.

Very cool...and judging by your name I'm guessing you spend much of it in SE Asia. What baseball team do you work for?

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:42 PM, Nanker said:

Say goodbye to training camp in Pittsford. 

23 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....yes she did.....as did Brandon's wife......would be an asinine move to dump Fisher and alienate fans from Rochester and east/southeast..............

19 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

McDermott doesn't want to be away from OBD. Once contractual obligations are met they will just camp at home. When you think about it, going away to camp really doesn't make sense.

FWIW,  I had to check and the SJF contract goes through the 2021 training camp season.

That's a long way away.

On 4/12/2019 at 12:58 PM, White Linen said:

Pegula's do not mess around.

More accurately........they won't be outspent.

Sometimes that's not a good thing...........like the outrageous contract they gave Rex.........guaranteeing him $25M at that stage of his career was a disincentive.

But this facility is awesome and a good coaching staff and personnel department certainly has few if any excuses left now.

Until proven otherwise though The Pegs are flying totally blind with regard to the football and hockey ops.   The Bills have disappointed under The Pegs but an 8 year playoff drought for an NHL team is more impressively bad than the Bills playoff drought.   A frickin' expansion team made the NHL finals last year and yet the Sabres have been one of the worst teams in pro sports for almost the entire time The Pegs have owned them.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

FWIW,  I had to check and the SJF contract goes through the 2021 training camp season.

That's a long way away.

True, but look for ever shorter TCs for the next three years. They cut back already last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

That's a long way away.

...but Pegula hamstrung by financial?.......drill another well IMO....petty cash..........

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

Looks awesome. Let's face facts. We're at some disadvantages in terms of attracting free agents. Building state of the art facilities is a step in the right direction in closing the "location" gap.

Yep, this is their “workplace”, where they spend an enormous amount of time. Wise move to go all out and make it first class. I hate that Buffalo gets such a bad rap. I know some of it is true and justified, but some of it is just plain ignorance. It’s not like Cleveland, Green Bay, Pittsburg, Detroit, Cincinnati,  Kansas City, Indianapolis, etc. are NYC, South Beach or LA. There are a few hot spots, and then there are the rest of us. Some are better than others, but it’s not like we play in Gary, Indiana. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Yep, this is their “workplace”, where they spend an enormous amount of time. Wise move to go all out and make it first class. I hate that Buffalo gets such a bad rap. I know some of it is true and justified, but some of it is just plain ignorance. It’s not like Cleveland, Green Bay, Pittsburg, Detroit, Cincinnati,  Kansas City, Indianapolis, etc. are NYC, South Beach or LA. There are a few hot spots, and then there are the rest of us. Some are better than others, but it’s not like we play in Gary, Indiana. 

For sure. I'm not implying the rep is as bad as the reality. I've always enjoyed my time in Buffalo. For whatever reason, it gets a worse rap than places like GB, DETROIT, or Cleveland. 

There's nothing Pegs can do about the weather, so I applaud the organizations effort's to control what they CAN control. Having top notch facilities where players will spend much of their time(as you said) will definitely help.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Sometimes that's not a good thing...........like the outrageous contract they gave Rex.........guaranteeing him $25M at that stage of his career was a disincentive.

But this facility is awesome and a good coaching staff and personnel department certainly has few if any excuses left now.

Until proven otherwise though The Pegs are flying totally blind with regard to the football and hockey ops.   The Bills have disappointed under The Pegs but an 8 year playoff drought for an NHL team is more impressively bad than the Bills playoff drought.   A frickin' expansion team made the NHL finals last year and yet the Sabres have been one of the worst teams in pro sports for almost the entire time The Pegs have owned them.

I said they do not mess around.  I am correct.

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

100% correct!!! ?

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

How do you figure the Bills have disappointed under the Pegs?  In their 3rd full season of ownership the team made the playoffs, snapping a 17-year drought.  Compared to the past 10 new owners, they're tied for 2nd best (with Bisciotti and behind Blank).

1 hour ago, Doc said:

How do you figure the Bills have disappointed under the Pegs?  In their 3rd full season of ownership the team made the playoffs, snapping a 17-year drought.  Compared to the past 10 new owners, they're tied for 2nd best (with Bisciotti and behind Blank).

The Pegs inherited a team that had been built into a decidedly playoff caliber roster.    Expectations were high.......cap dollars were invested.

The team proceeded to greatly underachieve for two years under their hand picked hire Rex Ryan.

Then after lowered expectations they barely scraped into a wildcard spot with one more win than Rex's 2015 team........and McDermott's 2017 Bills team was outscored by 4 points per game on average.   A total anomaly.   No team has reached the playoffs from the AFC with that big of a point differential since the 1989 Steelers.:doh:    

Thru what you call their "4th full season" of ownership I guess then The Pegs are 30-34.   That isn't disappointing to you?   Would you have happily signed up for that 4 years ago?:lol:

• Like (+1) 1