Chris Simms DT top 7

Pete

6 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

If you believe the "experts"  the top 3 DT's are guys who might come every 2-4 years and go top 3 in the draft. IF that is true, lets get one of them.

The experts also thought Sammy Watkins was the best WR prospect in his class, a guy who might come along every 2-4 years.  They were wrong.  And they are wrong all the time.    

I wouldnt mind SImmons as our 2nd round pick. Great value there.

40 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Absolutely agree.  I’m okay with moving up late in round 1 to get Lawerence or Wilkins but it’s got to be offense at 9.  And subsequent picks after addressing D-Line should be offense. 

I dont disagree. But what you say is only part of it.  Cant be dogmatic prior to the draft - need to be flexible. The pick depends on how the draft unfolds. For example, if Bosa, Q. Williams or Josh Allen (DE) were available at 9, wouldnt you take em regardless of current needs on Offense? Especially given we have addressed most offense needs in FA.

23 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I wouldnt mind SImmons as our 2nd round pick. Great value there.

I dont disagree. But what you say is only part of it.  Cant be dogmatic prior to the draft - need to be flexible. The pick depends on how the draft unfolds. For example, if Bosa, Q. Williams or Josh Allen (DE) were available at 9, wouldnt you take em regardless of current needs on Offense? Especially given we have addressed most offense needs in FA.

You are right.  If one of those 3 miraculously were available I would support taking them. 

3 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Chris Simms is one of the best analysts in the business. Pleasure to listen to.

...agree......look at Simms, Palmer, Dilfer, etc.......lackluster NFL careers, but they all do well as analysts and Palmer's QB teaching skills are noteworthy......despite the urinalists and all knowing pundits, the three of them are very high on Josh......glad they found a niche still within the game...

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Chris Simms is one of the best analysts in the business. Pleasure to listen to.

He really is. Ironic because he wasn't a very good QB. Papa Simms was a very good QB, but an AWFUL analyst.

I agree with the sentiment that Lawrence would be a terrible fit. We need a playmaker, not a space eater.

15 hours ago, mannc said:

The experts also thought Sammy Watkins was the best WR prospect in his class, a guy who might come along every 2-4 years.  They were wrong.  And they are wrong all the time.    

No.  They are not wrong "all the time".   They are wrong to a big degree about 20% of the time.

18 hours ago, mannc said:

So the team that fielded one of the worst offenses in NFL history for most of last season should give up premium picks to move up for an interior defensive lineman in a draft that is absolutely stacked with defensive line talent?  People just never learn. 

90% chance none of these guys available at #40 . So if u want one u definitely have to trade up. 

2 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

No.  They are not wrong "all the time".   They are wrong to a big degree about 20% of the time.

It was a figure of speech, Maryland.  They’re probably wrong about so-called “generational talents” in the draft about 50 percent of the time, which is way too often to risk a bunch of premium picks, especially when the draft is stacked with defensive line talent.  It’s why good teams don’t trade up.  

1 hour ago, BillsFan1988 said:

90% chance none of these guys available at #40 . So if u want one u definitely have to trade up. 

Last I heard, we’ve got the ninth pick, so we don’t have to wait until 40.

16 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

He really is. Ironic because he wasn't a very good QB. Papa Simms was a very good QB, but an AWFUL analyst.

I agree with the sentiment that Lawrence would be a terrible fit. We need a playmaker, not a space eater.

Except that Simms says Lawrence is far more than a space-eater.  He ranks him above Oliver, the guy many project to us at 9.  Not sure if he’s right, but it shows the subjectivity of this process and is another argument not to panic and trade up for a defensive lineman in this draft.  

I would love to see us go offense at 9 and take the best remaining DL at 40.  There will be a good one there. Or, even better, trade 9 for the Raider’s two late first rounders.

17 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I would not mind seeing Lawrence  and star in front of Edmunds, if Lawrence is as athletic as simms is describing.

I also like the fact that Simms looks for the "disruptive" factor instead of statistics. We all know that sacks are overrated. There are several of these DT's who are always around the ball and the backfield wreaking havoc.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I also like the fact that Simms looks for the "disruptive" factor instead of statistics. We all know that sacks are overrated. There are several of these DT's who are always around the ball and the backfield wreaking havoc.

Simms watches film and forms his own opinions.  He likes Rashan Gary and Montez  Sweat more than Josh Allen, for example. Really enjoy watching these podcasts.  

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

I also like the fact that Simms looks for the "disruptive" factor instead of statistics. We all know that sacks are overrated. There are several of these DT's who are always around the ball and the backfield wreaking havoc. Absolutely. I believe that Simm's take on these prospects is right on. Those are the guys that we want. The disrupters who quite often cause chaos and confusion...freeing up plays for everyone.

Simm's analysis of the DT's is the best that I have seen.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I would not mind seeing Lawrence  and star in front of Edmunds, if Lawrence is as athletic as simms is describing.

Lawrence tallied 18 TFL's in 3 SEASONS at Clemson. I understand that stats aren't everything, but that tells me his niche is tying up blockers.

I've made no qualms about the fact that I don't like Star so I won't go there. Theoretically, there should be no need for another DT tying up blockers not making plays. BPA and all that jazz. I still see it as a bad fit, especially with Star and that contract.

7 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

...no way in hell for the "experts" to measure what's inside a kid's head 'n heart once he cashes that first big check....is it "cash at last" or the game first?.....thats before we get to minor injuries that nag on but not disclosed, unknown health ailments that docs never caught, etc....'how can you predict what a kid will do thousands of miles away from home with an overloaded wallet?....are they financially grounded like a Gronk who has yet to spend a dime of his $50+mil in NFL earnings...or the next Ko Simpson "I'm am a millionaire yap" when he got his butt in a ringer.....Vince Young blew through $26 mil......highly vulnerable at a young age with loads of loot.....then we get into the " 'Roids Road to the NFL" and how the body breaks down shortly after arrival...one of my favorite Kiper lines was about Tony Mandarich, "a behemoth....a man among boyz....can't miss HOF'er..."......his "juice" was not Minute Maid.....far too many variables for them to be right and it is NOT 80% IMO......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/12/2019 at 1:12 PM, mannc said:

So the team that fielded one of the worst offenses in NFL history for most of last season should give up premium picks to move up for an interior defensive lineman in a draft that is absolutely stacked with defensive line talent?  People just never learn. 

We are not going to make 10 selections. So why not move up (within reason) to select who i think is the best player in the draft.

I would be ok with selecting Taylor at 9 if he's there, but I wouldn't move up for him.

Other than that I don't see a single offensive player worthy of the 9th pick.

We don't need quantity in this draft we need quality. 

1 hour ago, MikeSpeed said:

We are not going to make 10 selections. So why not move up (within reason) to select who i think is the best player in the draft.

I would be ok with selecting Taylor at 9 if he's there, but I wouldn't move up for him.

Other than that I don't see a single offensive player worthy of the 9th pick.

We don't need quantity in this draft we need quality. 

We aren’t moving up to 5 without giving up 40 and more, or next year’s 1.  I’m fine with using 9 on a defender if that’s the bpa, but I’m not down with trading up in the top 10 to take a defensive lineman, especially when a number of really good ones will be there if we stay put.

On 4/13/2019 at 10:47 AM, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

i like lance zuerliens(sp?) write up in the profile on nfl. com.  rated as a rd.1 instant starter....comparison is shaun rogers (i'm fine with that fo sho).

draftwire says he has only scratched the surface of what he can become. as far as the knock on his pass rush, i agree with simms that hand usage and rush moves can be

easily coached. he can collapse the pocket with ease. just get him some technique coaching and i think he'll be great. he cannot be blocked 1 on 1.

i still would prefer oliver no doubt, but the way some of these mocks are going, not only the top guys, but also sweat and oliver gone by 9 would suck, but could end up being the reality.