No Masters thread??!!

eball

Well, here it is.

What a first day -- Koepka (trying to make it three of the last four majors) firing a 66, Mr. Analytics matching his score, and Phil firing a 67 despite going in the water at #11!  Even Tiger (70) playing well.

Perhaps the biggest surprise of the day?  The Brits did not fare well aside from Poulter -- Rory +1, Rose +3, and Casey +9 (ouch).

Koepka was my pick to win before it started.  The dude is just locked in, but he has to be one of the most underrated 3-time Major winners of all time.  If Phil is around on Sunday, though, this could be a lot of fun as he tries to tie Tiger for Masters wins.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, eball said:

Well, here it is.

What a first day -- Koepka (trying to make it three of the last four majors) firing a 66, Mr. Analytics matching his score, and Phil firing a 67 despite going in the water at #11!  Even Tiger (70) playing well.

Perhaps the biggest surprise of the day?  The Brits did not fare well aside from Poulter -- Rory +1, Rose +3, and Casey +9 (ouch).

Koepka was my pick to win before it started.  The dude is just locked in, but he has to be one of the most underrated 3-time Major winners of all time.  If Phil is around on Sunday, though, this could be a lot of fun as he tries to tie Tiger for Masters wins.

DeChambeau a tough guy to read. Have not loved him, but his post-round interview yesterday was hilarious, very self-deprecating. He grew a little in my eyes.

And lord was Nantz ever going to bat for Brooks. He sounded pisssed at all the gold media guys for not giving Brooks his due cause he a little standoffish with the media.

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

DeChambeau a tough guy to read. Have not loved him, but his post-round interview yesterday was hilarious, very self-deprecating. He grew a little in my eyes.

And lord was Nantz ever going to bat for Brooks. He sounded pisssed at all the gold media guys for not giving Brooks his due cause he a little standoffish with the media.

Somebody needs to.  I mean, for crying out loud, just because the guy looks like a linebacker and is physically fit doesn't mean he can't be a great golfer.  And his WAG is a hottie.

59 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I don't get why people in the media get so butthurt over stuff like that.  You're trying to be a pro at a game that you love.  I understand that the media kind of comes with the territory but you can't expect every pro to have the same opinions and attitudes about that.

2 hours ago, eball said:

Well, here it is.

Rory has been playing really good golf recently, depending on how the weekend goes he still has a shot, though an outside one at this point.

I put some money on Brooks and some on Rickie (love that kid).  Koepka just seemingly doesn't care about anything except majors, so I wasn't put off by some of his early performances this year.

So....... a buddy who just moved to town to start a bank was offered two Master’s passes for Friday or Saturday by a vendor. The offer came towards the end of an email on Monday about some other items. He skimmed the email....and missed the offer until today when it was too late.

I don’t care that he will go one more year without seeing that hallowed ground, but ticket #2 had my name all over it! It would make me even more ill had I not done it at least once. Maybe next year I’ll get back again? 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

So....... a buddy who just moved to town to start a bank was offered two Master’s passes for Friday or Saturday by a vendor. The offer came towards the end of an email on Monday about some other items. He skimmed the email....and missed the offer until today when it was too late.

I don’t care that he will go one more year without seeing that hallowed ground, but ticket #2 had my name all over it! It would make me even more ill had I not done it at least once. Maybe next year I’ll get back again? 

Looks like bad weather,Aug.It might be a blessing that you didn't make the trip.

8 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Looks like bad weather,Aug.It might be a blessing that you didn't make the trip.

A bad day at Augusta National beats a good day at the beach. I’ve got about 30 ponchos left over (at $1.42/each) after I thought we might get rain at a Bills game. I did the same at a Bengals game (thanks to @Seasons1992!) a few years ago and it was a pleasant gift to my Bills brethren. 

If you ever get the chance, it’s worth a walk in the rain. And I’m not a golf junkie. 

7 minutes ago, shrader said:

That security guard’s life must have flashed before his eyes when he realized that he clipped Tiger’s ankle. 

Tiger took it well. 

In public. 

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Tiger took it well. 

In public. 

The expletives has to be flying. They cut away live the second it happened, so we probably missed the fun. I assume he thought it was a fan initially. 

1 minute ago, shrader said:

The expletives has to be flying. They cut away live the second it happened, so we probably missed the fun. I assume he thought it was a fan initially. 

It was wet and slick, it’s always hilly. Stuff happens. 

I suspect this will be enough to keep his execution a private event. 

BUT, I would seriously hope Tiger gets this and it might indicate he’s become a better person. It’s not my place to judge, but I’d like to hope this is the case. 

50 minutes ago, Augie said:

A bad day at Augusta National beats a good day at the beach. I’ve got about 30 ponchos left over (at $1.42/each) after I thought we might get rain at a Bills game. I did the same at a Bengals game (thanks to @Seasons1992!) a few years ago and it was a pleasant gift to my Bills brethren. 

If you ever get the chance, it’s worth a walk in the rain. And I’m not a golf junkie. 

Well I am a golf junkie.  I once followed Gary Player and (gulp, I’m freaking old) Miller Barber and Tom Kite around the course at the US Seniors Open .  Arnold Palmer hit right into me, and there I was, standing 4 feet away from “The King”.  The marshalls asked me to move back, and Arnold said, “No, don’t worry, he’s fine.”. I stood six feet away as he took his approach swing - pretty much awestruck, which almost never happens to me.  Shook his hand, still have his autograph.  Nicest superstar on this planet.

I am so jealous that you’ve been to the Masters - I’ve played The Country Club in Brookline, Congressional in DC, all the courses at Pebble Beach, but Augusta?

I don’t know anyone who can get me on, but it’s definitely on my bucket list.  I’m just sad that the Eisenhower Tree is gone - if I could hit the ball 217 yards on a par 3, I would have hit it on purpose!

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

It was wet and slick, it’s always hilly. Stuff happens. 

I suspect this will be enough to keep his execution a private event. 

BUT, I would seriously hope Tiger gets this and it might indicate he’s become a better person. It’s not my place to judge, but I’d like to hope this is the case. 

Tiger had his dark days.  We all do.  I’m so ecstatic that those days are behind him.

(Although I’m rooting for  ‘Big Lefty’, as I always do.)

Edited by The Senator

3 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Well I am a golf junkie.  I once followed Gary Player and (gulp, I’m freaking old) Miller Barber and Tom Kite around the course at the US Seniors Open .  Arnold Palmer hit right into me, and there I was, standing 4 feet away from “The King”.  The marshalls asked me to move back, and Arnold said, “No, don’t worry, he’s fine.”. I stood six feet away as he took his approach swing - pretty much awestruck, which almost never happens to me.  Shook his hand, still have his autograph.  Nicest superstar on this planet.

I am so jealous that you’ve been to the Masters - I’ve played The Country Club in Brookline, Congressional in DC, all the courses at Pebble Beach, but Augusta?

I don’t know anyone who can get me on, but it’s definitely on my bucket list.  I’m just sad that the Eisenhower Tree is gone - I would have hit it on purpose!

My wife’s brother is like a 2 handicap. His best friend’s dad was the club pro where they grew up. The dad is now legally blind but has had a seat on the same green (#5?) for the last 4+ decades.  He’s a fixture. Just about an hour ago my wife showed me the Facebook photo with Jack Nicklaus coming by to see him. He’s come by every single year to see Whitey for 40+ years. It’s VERY cool!  

P.S. Whitey’s grandson is a killer golfer with full ride scholarship offers when he was a sophomore in HS. Also cool! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1