The reality of what Beane is creating with the OL.

11 hours ago, SoTier said:

When QBs run the ball, especially on designed QB runs, they're no longer protected by the rules that protect QBs that stay in the pocket like Brady or the Mannings.  If Allen wants to have a long NFL career, he's going to have to learn to get some yards and then run out of bounds ala Russell Wilson not challenge defenders to get a few extra yards like Cam Newton.

I agree he needs to protect himself by sliding and running out of bounds. I'm hoping that the upgraded O-Line means Allen will be passing from the pocket more.

3 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I agree he needs to protect himself by sliding and running out of bounds. I'm hoping that the upgraded O-Line means Allen will be passing from the pocket more.

I agree that a better OL should help Allen, and hopefully, the Bills put enough good pieces around him so that he doesn't have to realize he doesn't have to do it all himself.  That may be a challenge for Allen, as it seems to be for Newton, because it doesn't seem to fit their temperaments.

My main point in that post though was aimed at the posters complaining about the refs not protecting some QBs while protecting others.   I think it's pretty obvious that nobody is too worried about either Tom Brady's or Eli Manning's running ability, so if they get hit, it's almost always going to be in/near the pocket.  QBs like Newton, Allen, Wilson, and Rodgers are definitely capable of using their mobility to make plays, either by running or by extending plays by running outside the pocket, so they're much more likely to be outside the pocket -- and therefore subject to hard hits -- than other QBs.

13 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Obviously the main goal is better protection for Josh but after watching last season’s highlights it’s quite apparent that in the games with the Dolphins, and the Jets as well, Josh made them look stupid plenty of times.

It looked like several of them on both teams underestimated Josh and his athletic abilities, all except for Kiko. Imo he’s a dirty player so anything that he did do, or at least tried to do, fits his dirty style of play but between already having sore feelings towards Buffalo and towards McCoy he really was trying to take out Josh a few different times, especially when time after time Josh was turning him inside out. 

The same with with the Jets. One player in particular, I forget which one, I think it was their Safety, seemed pretty frustrated with Josh and looked like he wanted to lay the wood on Allen as well.

Those highlights in particular made me realize that those 2 teams in particular are going to be much better prepared this year against Josh, as well as the rest of the NFL. Beane made sure that just about every OL that he signed has noted as having a nasty disposition. I wouldn’t be surprised if that one of the expectations that was emphasize to every FA OL that he brought in was they want OL that will be bodyguards before, during and after the play. I think that not only is Beane smart enough to know that there’s danger waiting for Josh, especially in our own division, and that instead of just having OL stick up and protect him but rather have OL that will set the tone and even be the aggressors, or should I dare say the bullies. Putting teams on notice that that cheap crap isn’t going to be tolerated. 

At at least that is what I would hope is happening because I am very concerned about Josh’s health this year because of what I saw so far from last year. IF the Bills were to take an OL with their first pick this year then I would expect it to be Jawaan Taylor over Jonah Williams because of his demeanor, and to me his talent.

Go Bills!

Should have resigned Cogs then.  He may even meet the dirty player at the gym.

7 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I'm more concerned about the scheme Brian Daboll is going to call vs the O line policing Allen after a big/dirty hit. If he stays with that deep passing scheme that looked like the Mike Martz scheme that concussed Trent Edwards out of the league and gave JP Losman PTSD problems. Then Allen may not survive the season despite the influx of the talented mean/nasty O linemen. 

Daboll supposedly brought the NE Patriots playbook with him to Buffalo and instead what he called was for quite a few deep passes which require a lot of 3 to 5 step drop backs. Which usually requires the QB 3-5 seconds in the pocket to throw those deep passes. So, many times last season Josh Allen didn't have time to throw those deep passes and he ended up running due to the pocket breakdown or receivers not being open. He also didn't have much of a run game to help him out either. 

Jim Kelly used to air it out to Don Beebe, James Lofton on occasion and that was usually after they established a solid run game with Thurman Thomas which caused the linebackers and safety's to move up to stop the run. When the Bills faced the ferocious pass rushing Eagles with Reggie White they changed to more quick out throws with more crossing routes. This new scheme enabled the Bills to effectively stymie that pass rush. 

Even with all the new additions to the O line I highly doubt Allen will consistently have the time needed to allow him to make all those deep throws again this year unless they draft a new LT.

Here is hoping the Bills OC changes up his game plan to what the Patriots actually run. 

I think it's more complicated than just play calling philosophy last year.  At the beginning of the season the entire WR corps had it's head in its collective *** and it didn't matter how deep of a route they ran. Only later in the season did Foster, whose strength is the long ball, emerge and Zay start to extricate his head.  On top of that, Josh proved numerous times that he does not excel at the short, quick passing game and, either as a result of or in addition to, he tends to look for the deep ball.  I think what you're concerned about was scheming to QB tendencies and offensive personnel out of necessity.  Hopefully an offseason of Josh learning to throw a ball 5 yds on target and a better OL allowing them to use the RB as an outlet more will offer them more flexibility.

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I agree with the OP, whereas So Tier & Raven can’t see the library for the books. Good reference to Cam Newton as he was undeniably abused -often right in front of the refs, with no call. It was routinely opined that because he was a freak of an athlete, he could handle tough hits, compared to the feminine Brady, et al. Well, Josh is also a Freak athlete -and Better than Cam. He KNOWS when he can beat a LB or DL closing in on him while scrambling and the open field behind them. The kid is a phenom, plain & simple. Huge, Fast, Strong, Agile & highly competitive. Attempting to fit him in with prototypical QB concepts misses the boat entirely. To the OPs point, there were numerous times defenders took cheap shots after he was down or out of bounds because they were embarrassed by his athleticism -and the ref and very few Bills ever took offense to it. Stock piling veteran OL in FA allows for decent depth, should a starter be ejected for kicking Kiko in the head after he cheap shots Josh when the play is over. They’re not gonna stop trying it. They NEED Allen out of the game. They’re just gonna pay for their dirty deeds done dirt cheap.

I made a point last season to a friend that, based on the number of times he got hit on the boundary or just out of bounds and his reaction to it, I think Allen tends to chirp a bit.  He always seems to be enjoying himself and is always into the game even when he's on the sideline and it wouldn't surprise me at all to find out he's an accomplished trash talker.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I think he said "You're not old enough" and it was Ed Hochuli, I'm pretty sure. Something like that.

As far as the protective oline goes, didn't guys go after Kiko when he cheap shotted Allen? I seem to remember that. I don't remember the oline being big push overs after the play, just during the play.

Good point re: Kiko cheap shot.  Looking forward to the OLine forcing their will on the D front seven during the play, not just after it.  Hope Daboll and the new OLine coordinator make a difference.

1 hour ago, transient said:

I think it's more complicated than just play calling philosophy last year.  At the beginning of the season the entire WR corps had it's head in its collective *** and it didn't matter how deep of a route they ran. Only later in the season did Foster, whose strength is the long ball, emerge and Zay start to extricate his head.  On top of that, Josh proved numerous times that he does not excel at the short, quick passing game and, either as a result of or in addition to, he tends to look for the deep ball.  I think what you're concerned about was scheming to QB tendencies and offensive personnel out of necessity.  Hopefully an offseason of Josh learning to throw a ball 5 yds on target and a better OL allowing them to use the RB as an outlet more will offer them more flexibility.

In that first game against the Ravens 47-3 blowout, Out of 33 passes attempted 10 went deep with that craptastic Bills offensive line.

Peterman went 5 of 18 for 24 yards, 2 INT, 3 sacks a 0.0 rating, Allen went 6 of 15 for 74, 3 sacks a 65.0 rating. Benjamin was targeted 7 times and caught one pass. Jones was targeted 6 times and caught 3. Bills QBs sacked 6 times.

Against the Chargers Allen went 18 of 33 for 245, 1 TD, 2 INT, 5 sacks. 10 deep passes called out of 33 which is almost one third. Bosa wasn't even playing for the Chargers.

Against the Vikings Allen went 15 of 22 for 196 yards,1 TD. Only 5 deep passes called A WIN!

Against the Packers Allen went 16 of 33 for 151 yards, 2 INTs, 7 sacks. 7 deep passes called. Notice a correlation? Blowout loss

Against the Titans Allen went 10 of 20 for 82 yards, 1 INT only 5 deep passes called A WIN!

Against the Texans Allen went 19 of 17 for 84 yards 2 sacks, Peterman went 6 of 12 for 61 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT. 6 deep passes called out of 29. Allen Injured A loss

Once back from his injury Allen tended to run more often because he didn't trust the pocket. 

Against the Jags Allen went 8 of 19 for 160 yards, 1 TD. Allen rushing 13 for 99 yards, 1 TD. 6 deep passes called A WIN

Against the Dolphins Allen 18 of 33 for 231, 2 INT, 2 sacks. Allen rushed 9 times for 135 yards. 13 of 33 deep passes called. A Loss

Against the Jets Allen went 18 of 36 for 202 yards, 2 INT, 3 sacks. Allen rushing 9 times for 101 yards, 1 TD. 8 deep passes called. A Loss

Against the Lions Allen went 13 of 26 for 204 yards,  1 TD, 1 sack. 8 deep passes called A Win

Against the Patriots Allen went 20 of 41 for 217 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT. 12 deep passes called. a loss.

Care to know how many times Tom Brady went deep in this game? Only once! 

The point is with little or no run game from the running backs the Bills shouldn't be attempting so many deep passes all season long. Especially with how bad that Bills offensive line was all season long.  Once you establish a rhythm and the QB has some confidence with some short to mid passes... then you go deep.  

Last game of the season against the Dolphins Allen went 17 of 26 for 224, 3 TD, 1 INT, 1 sack. Allen 9 rushes for 95 yards, 2 TDs. Only 2 deep passes called in that 42-17 blowout win !!

Let's hope the Buffalo Bills 2019 season is like that last Miami game. Only with the RB's making all the rushing yards. Last year Josh Allen was the leading rusher on the team in 12 games. 89 attempts for 631 yards, 8 TD and a 7.1 yard per carry average. 

13 hours ago, thunderingsquid said:

I also think a lot of these guys are solid in the run game.  A revitalized run game and Shady will be a huge help to a young QB.  

Shady struggled mightily last year, I blame Castillo and ducasse.

My take too. He's looking for guys who can pound it in the run game as well as pass block. This indirectly will help Josh by hopefully making down and distance better.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

In that first game against the Ravens 47-3 blowout, Out of 33 passes attempted 10 went deep with that craptastic Bills offensive line.

Peterman went 5 of 18 for 24 yards, 2 INT, 3 sacks a 0.0 rating, Allen went 6 of 15 for 74, 3 sacks a 65.0 rating. Benjamin was targeted 7 times and caught one pass. Jones was targeted 6 times and caught 3. Bills QBs sacked 6 times.

Against the Chargers Allen went 18 of 33 for 245, 1 TD, 2 INT, 5 sacks. 10 deep passes called out of 33 which is almost one third. Bosa wasn't even playing for the Chargers.

Against the Vikings Allen went 15 of 22 for 196 yards,1 TD. Only 5 deep passes called A WIN!

Against the Packers Allen went 16 of 33 for 151 yards, 2 INTs, 7 sacks. 7 deep passes called. Notice a correlation? Blowout loss

Against the Titans Allen went 10 of 20 for 82 yards, 1 INT only 5 deep passes called A WIN!

Against the Texans Allen went 19 of 17 for 84 yards 2 sacks, Peterman went 6 of 12 for 61 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT. 6 deep passes called out of 29. Allen Injured A loss

Once back from his injury Allen tended to run more often because he didn't trust the pocket. 

Against the Jags Allen went 8 of 19 for 160 yards, 1 TD. Allen rushing 13 for 99 yards, 1 TD. 6 deep passes called A WIN

Against the Dolphins Allen 18 of 33 for 231, 2 INT, 2 sacks. Allen rushed 9 times for 135 yards. 13 of 33 deep passes called. A Loss

Against the Jets Allen went 18 of 36 for 202 yards, 2 INT, 3 sacks. Allen rushing 9 times for 101 yards, 1 TD. 8 deep passes called. A Loss

Against the Lions Allen went 13 of 26 for 204 yards,  1 TD, 1 sack. 8 deep passes called A Win

Against the Patriots Allen went 20 of 41 for 217 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT. 12 deep passes called. a loss.

Care to know how many times Tom Brady went deep in this game? Only once! 

The point is with little or no run game from the running backs the Bills shouldn't be attempting so many deep passes all season long. Especially with how bad that Bills offensive line was all season long.  Once you establish a rhythm and the QB has some confidence with some short to mid passes... then you go deep.  

Last game of the season against the Dolphins Allen went 17 of 26 for 224, 3 TD, 1 INT, 1 sack. Allen 9 rushes for 95 yards, 2 TDs. Only 2 deep passes called in that 42-17 blowout win !!

Let's hope the Buffalo Bills 2019 season is like that last Miami game. Only with the RB's making all the rushing yards. Last year Josh Allen was the leading rusher on the team in 12 games. 89 attempts for 631 yards, 8 TD and a 7.1 yard per carry average. 

I'm sure this was time consuming, but I don't think I place the same value on it that you do. 

Looking through the percentages above, regardless of win or loss, they tended to throw deep on 20-30% of their attempts every game Allen played with the exception of two outliers.  The Packers game when you ask about a correlation because they threw deep 7 time in a loss instead of 5 times in a win... they actually threw deep less than the week before percentage-wise.

This assessment also ignores game circumstances. Take the first two games of the season as an example. The Bills were down 26-0 and 28-6 by halftime.  Teams getting blown out by halftime tend to throw a lot in the second half and get sacked in the process and they tend to lose.  In the Packers game they were already down by 19 and not generating any offense when 6 of those 7 sacks happened and when 4 of those 7 "deep passes called" happened.

I'm not an X's and O's guy, and I didn't rush to All 22 to formulate this argument, but I don't equate "deep passes called" to "deep passes thrown."  I don't recall a lot of 4 and 5 wide patterns where they were all running fly routes, so some of who the ball ends up being thrown to has to be placed on QB decision making. 

It wouldn't surprise me if a guy who can throw a ball 80 yds tries to make that happen a few times a game.  It would, however, surprise me if they drafted a guy who could throw the ball 80 yds and then told him not to throw the long ball.  They had no running game outside of Allen and their receivers were worthless for over half of the season regardless of the depth of their routes.  The most reliable part of the offense outside of Allen's rushing, as evidenced by his numbers after week 10, was Foster who is a deep threat...

Edited by transient
  • Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Augie said:

I admit I never saw as much of the Cam abuse, and it’s ref failure to think or say that, but GEEZ Josh got abused at times.  Brady is Coach K, he should be punched in the face just for being such a whiney little b word. 

I saw some pretty gnarly hits on Cam that definitely should've been called. I forget who they were playing but this one stands out to me, he was in the midst of being tackled, where, like, no more help was needed, but a defender came barreling in and decked him with his shoulder right under the facemask. Cam got up livid and there was no flag. In fact I think he later said he was told to settle down or they'd throw a flag on him for delay of game. 

6 hours ago, elijah said:

But the last time that a coach and GM came in here and said they were, “building a bully..” ? ?

Don't talk about it, be about it!

It's high time the Bills started acquiring players with an edge. Generally pleased with the acquisitions at OL, but my preference in the draft is a lineman who's niche is pushing the LOS forward. Spain/Morse/Long are solid players, but not necessarily maulers.

16 hours ago, transient said:

I'm sure this was time consuming, but I don't think I place the same value on it that you do. 

Looking through the percentages above, regardless of win or loss, they tended to throw deep on 20-30% of their attempts every game Allen played with the exception of two outliers.  The Packers game when you ask about a correlation because they threw deep 7 time in a loss instead of 5 times in a win... they actually threw deep less than the week before percentage-wise.

This assessment also ignores game circumstances. Take the first two games of the season as an example. The Bills were down 26-0 and 28-6 by halftime.  Teams getting blown out by halftime tend to throw a lot in the second half and get sacked in the process and they tend to lose.  In the Packers game they were already down by 19 and not generating any offense when 6 of those 7 sacks happened and when 4 of those 7 "deep passes called" happened.

I'm not an X's and O's guy, and I didn't rush to All 22 to formulate this argument, but I don't equate "deep passes called" to "deep passes thrown."  I don't recall a lot of 4 and 5 wide patterns where they were all running fly routes, so some of who the ball ends up being thrown to has to be placed on QB decision making. 

It wouldn't surprise me if a guy who can throw a ball 80 yds tries to make that happen a few times a game.  It would, however, surprise me if they drafted a guy who could throw the ball 80 yds and then told him not to throw the long ball.  They had no running game outside of Allen and their receivers were worthless for over half of the season regardless of the depth of their routes.  The most reliable part of the offense outside of Allen's rushing, as evidenced by his numbers after week 10, was Foster who is a deep threat...

You missed the point here as the very last thing you should be doing with a 2nd year QB In Nathan Peterman and rookie Josh Allen is asking them to attempt a throw that takes three to five seconds to develop in the pocket when they clearly won't have that time. Especially not one third of the play calls.

Deep outs take five to seven step drop backs in the pocket and those drop backs take time in the pocket to develop and when you have an offensive line as bad as the Bills was last season those deep passes are the very last thing you should be calling or even asking the receivers to be running. 

This was clearly the offensive play calling by the Bills OC and not the QB taking it upon himself to attempt to throw deep one third of the time. Receivers don't run fly routes every play. 

There was a direct correlation between deep passes called and sacks in some games. Both Peterman and Allen were trying to make the play call work and they simply didn't have the experience to read the defense, change the play or go with the check down.

After Allen's injury when he returned to the starting lineup he started running more often rather then hold on to the ball and hope a receiver gets open and his protection holds. The protections usually never did hold up so he ran. Luckily, due to Allen's athleticism he was able to make defenses look foolish in chasing after him. RG3 managed to do this also in his first season.

What bothers me most is that the catch percentage of Zay Jones was 54.9% which means he isn't even catching half the passes thrown his way. Kelvin Benjamin's catch percentage was an abysmal 37.1% and these two players were the top two targeted receivers with Jones at 102 targets, Benjamin at 52. Why? McCoy caught 73.9% of the 46 passes his way! 

It looked to me like Bills OC Brian Daboll had a fixation with Allen's big arm and tried to force him to use it more then he should have. It eventually got Allen injured and yet Daboll still kept calling for deep passes even after the injury, although not as much. For 2019, more running the ball by the RBs and more short to mid range passes to move the chains should be the scheme. 

This was the reason for my concern for the play calling vs the nastiness of the line. 

I think Beane realized the OL was beyond terrible last year, and brought in Morse to anchor the line, and then turned to a bunch of 1-2 year stop gaps.  If the stop gaps turn out to be extension worthy, great.  If not, draft and develop replacements for the stop gaps.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/13/2019 at 8:26 AM, Nihilarian said:

You missed the point here as the very last thing you should be doing with a 2nd year QB In Nathan Peterman and rookie Josh Allen is asking them to attempt a throw that takes three to five seconds to develop in the pocket when they clearly won't have that time. Especially not one third of the play calls.

Deep outs take five to seven step drop backs in the pocket and those drop backs take time in the pocket to develop and when you have an offensive line as bad as the Bills was last season those deep passes are the very last thing you should be calling or even asking the receivers to be running. 

This was clearly the offensive play calling by the Bills OC and not the QB taking it upon himself to attempt to throw deep one third of the time. Receivers don't run fly routes every play. 

There was a direct correlation between deep passes called and sacks in some games. Both Peterman and Allen were trying to make the play call work and they simply didn't have the experience to read the defense, change the play or go with the check down.

After Allen's injury when he returned to the starting lineup he started running more often rather then hold on to the ball and hope a receiver gets open and his protection holds. The protections usually never did hold up so he ran. Luckily, due to Allen's athleticism he was able to make defenses look foolish in chasing after him. RG3 managed to do this also in his first season.

What bothers me most is that the catch percentage of Zay Jones was 54.9% which means he isn't even catching half the passes thrown his way. Kelvin Benjamin's catch percentage was an abysmal 37.1% and these two players were the top two targeted receivers with Jones at 102 targets, Benjamin at 52. Why? McCoy caught 73.9% of the 46 passes his way! 

It looked to me like Bills OC Brian Daboll had a fixation with Allen's big arm and tried to force him to use it more then he should have. It eventually got Allen injured and yet Daboll still kept calling for deep passes even after the injury, although not as much. For 2019, more running the ball by the RBs and more short to mid range passes to move the chains should be the scheme. 

This was the reason for my concern for the play calling vs the nastiness of the line. 

Actually Daboll normally floods the zones when running the spread with a deep route, a route that is a bit deeper than the sticks and then some underneath routes that force matchup issues.

He and McDermott have been public about Josh not taking the high-percentage throws underneath that are there for the taking. NE took advantage of this tendency by ignoring the underneath routes by taking away all the deeper options he prefers and keeping him hemmed into the pocket. It took Allen out of his game and I think was a teaching moment for Allen.

There are 3 or more reasons Allen throws deep:

• One is the Allen lacks the experience to evaluate his presnap reads to find the best matchup that is likely underneath that requires him to anticipate the open option and quickly throw to a spot. It is not a muscle that he has had to exercise in his past. It is not that he can't do this as some of the talking heads seem to think, just that it is not something he has had to do before to win.
  • The second is that Allen prefers to push the ball past the sticks and it is easier to read a receiver coming open deep than anticipating and hitting quickly the open options underneath.
  • The third is that with the pocket quickly collapsing around Allen (pressured on nearly 40% of his drops), he had to move around and plays broke down and when he rolled out he would look for those deeper receiving options aware that he was in trouble who would work to mirror him behind the coverage that had to account for Allen's ability to take off and run it himself.

I agree that there were a lot of cheap shots aimed at Allen and that he needs guys with attitude in front of him. I did not even realize till after re-watching a play against the Dolphins that Alonzo tried to take out Allen's knees clearly after Allen had already ran in a TD. Alonzo hurles himself at his knees, but Allen took a few high steps and eluded the shot the same way he managed to shift to avoid the flying elbow to his head when he was sliding.

Can't believe what a cheap-shot douche Alonzo turned into over the years.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, WideNine said:

Can't believe what a cheap-shot douche Alonzo turned into over the years.

One to many knee surgeries did him in.When you lost your talent,you have to resort to another way of playing.Regardless,he was always a bit of a nutcase.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

One to many knee surgeries did him in.When you lost your talent,you have to resort to another way of playing.Regardless,he was always a bit of a nutcase.

....but one heck of a Chef! 

?

10 hours ago, WideNine said:

Actually Daboll normally floods the zones when running the spread with a deep route, a route that is a bit deeper than the sticks and then some underneath routes that force matchup issues.

He and McDermott have been public about Josh not taking the high-percentage throws underneath that are there for the taking.

While I get that Josh Allen likes to throw the deeper passes just as he did while at Wyoming and that McD and Daboll have stated they would like to have Allen throw more underneath, dump off passes. They didn't state this until later in the season. This should have been taken care of internally after the first game. 

LeSean McCoy was the leading receiver in 2017 with 77 targets, 59 receptions for a 76.6 catch percentage which makes me wonder why he wasn't utilized more often in Daboll's scheme regardless of going from a "west coast" scheme to the EP they now run in Buffalo. 

The scheme that Daboll is running is the "Erhardt-Perkins" which is very versatile in allowing the OC to tailor the offense to the players he has on the roster.  Yes, the scheme they run "Ghost Tosser" calls for a deep out to stretch the defense... the QB doesn't need to focus on this one particular receiver to make the big play one third of the time. In particular in knowing that the top two receivers can't even catch one half the passes thrown their way! Also knowing that the offensive line would barely allow for a two second drop back in the pocket, much less a three to five seconds needed for those deeper passes. 

The way the Bills offense worked in Buffalo in 2018 sure wasn't the way the Patriots run that same scheme. With all those deep passes Buffalo was 31st in passing yards, 32nd in passing TDs.

It clearly wasn't working at the start of the season, at the middle and only in the very last game against Miami did the play calling settle down and stop with all the deep passes. The Bills only went deep twice in this game with 33 rush attempts vs 26 pass attempts. Josh Allen threw for three TDs and ran for two more. 

11 hours ago, WideNine said:

There are 3 or more reasons Allen throws deep:

• One is the Allen lacks the experience to evaluate his presnap reads to find the best matchup that is likely underneath that requires him to anticipate the open option and quickly throw to a spot. It is not a muscle that he has had to exercise in his past. It is not that he can't do this as some of the talking heads seem to think, just that it is not something he has had to do before to win.
  • The second is that Allen prefers to push the ball past the sticks and it is easier to read a receiver coming open deep than anticipating and hitting quickly the open options underneath.
  • The third is that with the pocket quickly collapsing around Allen (pressured on nearly 40% of his drops), he had to move around and plays broke down and when he rolled out he would look for those deeper receiving options aware that he was in trouble who would work to mirror him behind the coverage that had to account for Allen's ability to take off and run it himself.

I have a difficult time believing that Allen was this raw and yet was the #7 player taken in the 2018 NFL draft. I also don't believe it was all Allen making the decision all on his own to throw those deep passes. 

If you go look at the game log of that very first Bills vs Ravens game in which Nathan Peterman started he went 5 of 18 for 24 yards. He was sacked in the first series on third down probably with a deep pass called. Threw deep left on third down in the second series. Third series sacked on first down probably because a deep pass called. In the fourth series on second down a deep pass incomplete to KB. Fifth series on first down deep pass incomplete to KB, on third down deep pass incomplete to KB. Sixth series. Seventh series on 3rd down deep right to Jason Croom. Eighth series ended on an INT on a short middle pass to KB. 

Peterman sacked three times and attempted five to seven deep passes as two of those drop backs resulted in sacks. Josh Allen entered the game in the 3rd quarter and the second play of that series was his first pass which was a deep pass incomplete to Zay Jones. Next play Allen was sacked, probably attempting another deep pass. 

Both Peterman and Allen were attempting far more deep passes (10) then they should have and both QBs were sacked three times each for 6 sacks total. 

On 4/11/2019 at 7:48 PM, Augie said:

Josh took hits with no flag that would have resulted in prison time had it been Brady. Just sayin’. 

It's because hes a rookie and I won't get the calls yet but eventually as he improves he will start getting those calls. Brady over his entire career has been protected not only by his O- line,  but by the league. His front 5 are allowed to hold more than any unit in football.  With any luck, once Josh Allen gets that cache our O line will get those advantages....

Edited by LABILLBACKER