The reality of what Beane is creating with the OL.

Obviously the main goal is better protection for Josh but after watching last season’s highlights it’s quite apparent that in the games with the Dolphins, and the Jets as well, Josh made them look stupid plenty of times.

It looked like several of them on both teams underestimated Josh and his athletic abilities, all except for Kiko. Imo he’s a dirty player so anything that he did do, or at least tried to do, fits his dirty style of play but between already having sore feelings towards Buffalo and towards McCoy he really was trying to take out Josh a few different times, especially when time after time Josh was turning him inside out. 

The same with with the Jets. One player in particular, I forget which one, I think it was their Safety, seemed pretty frustrated with Josh and looked like he wanted to lay the wood on Allen as well.

Those highlights in particular made me realize that those 2 teams in particular are going to be much better prepared this year against Josh, as well as the rest of the NFL. Beane made sure that just about every OL that he signed has noted as having a nasty disposition. I wouldn’t be surprised if that one of the expectations that was emphasize to every FA OL that he brought in was they want OL that will be bodyguards before, during and after the play. I think that not only is Beane smart enough to know that there’s danger waiting for Josh, especially in our own division, and that instead of just having OL stick up and protect him but rather have OL that will set the tone and even be the aggressors, or should I dare say the bullies. Putting teams on notice that that cheap crap isn’t going to be tolerated. 

At at least that is what I would hope is happening because I am very concerned about Josh’s health this year because of what I saw so far from last year. IF the Bills were to take an OL with their first pick this year then I would expect it to be Jawaan Taylor over Jonah Williams because of his demeanor, and to me his talent.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I agree that the OL will be very protective of our young QB and have a ‘bodyguard’ mentality.

I expect a couple of fights, maybe even ejections but in the long run, that may be ok.

Interesting thread.  Hard to come up with a new angle but this may go a few pages.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Josh took hits with no flag that would have resulted in prison time had it been Brady. Just sayin’. 

Cam Newton complained about the same thing a couple of years ago.  Supposedly the ref shrugged it off and said something to the effect of "you're not there, yet" or "you're not at that level."  Brady is the face of the NFL, so he is protected.

• Like (+1) 1

A big, aggressive Oline with a mean streak is a good thing for a QB to have.  Beane seems to understand that.  Just glad Castillo is gone because he was a big part of the problem...him and his blocking schemes.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Cam Newton complained about the same thing a couple of years ago.  Supposedly the ref shrugged it off and said something to the effect of "you're not there, yet" or "you're not at that level."  Brady is the face of the NFL, so he is protected.

I admit I never saw as much of the Cam abuse, and it’s ref failure to think or say that, but GEEZ Josh got abused at times.  Brady is Coach K, he should be punched in the face just for being such a whiney little b word. 

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

I admit I never saw as much of the Cam abuse, and it’s ref failure to think or say that, but GEEZ Josh got abused at times.  Brady is Coach K, he should be punched in the face just for being such a whiney little b word. 

I have to believe there is a level (subjective) a QB has to be at in order to get questionable calls in their favor.  Brady, Brees, the Mannings (at least before Peyton retired) all get those calls, though I doubt anyone gets more calls in their favor than Marsha.

Edited by Happy Gilmore
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It’s not just Josh. You make it seem as if josh is the only QB that has a target on his back. A QB runs and defensive players eyes light up. ANY QB that’s a threat to run faces the same thing as defensive players want to knock them out. Look at what Cam goes through. Josh needs to learn that he can do more harm with his arm than with his legs if he wants to be a successful QB at this level. Beane is building a solid line to also protect Allen in the pocket and with a running game. You’re looking too much into Adams and Kiko. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

It’s not just Josh. You make it seem as if josh is the only QB that has a target on his back. A QB runs and defensive players eyes light up. ANY QB that’s a threat to run faces the same thing as defensive players want to knock them out. Look at what Cam goes through. Josh needs to learn that he can do more harm with his arm than with his legs if he wants to be a successful QB at this level. Beane is building a solid line to also protect Allen in the pocket and with a running game. You’re looking too much into Adams and Kiko. 

When QBs run the ball, especially on designed QB runs, they're no longer protected by the rules that protect QBs that stay in the pocket like Brady or the Mannings.  If Allen wants to have a long NFL career, he's going to have to learn to get some yards and then run out of bounds ala Russell Wilson not challenge defenders to get a few extra yards like Cam Newton.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

IF the Bills were to take an OL with their first pick this year then I would expect it to be Jawaan Taylor over Jonah Williams because of his demeanor, and to me his talent.

Go Bills!

I think Cody Ford or Risner would kill for Josh.   I don’t think Taylor will be an option but if we are considering taking OL I would be tempted to take Ford over Williams. 

11 minutes ago, SoTier said:

When QBs run the ball, especially on designed QB runs, they're no longer protected by the rules that protect QBs that stay in the pocket like Brady or the Mannings.  If Allen wants to have a long NFL career, he's going to have to learn to get some yards and then run out of bounds ala Russell Wilson not challenge defenders to get a few extra yards like Cam Newton.

Or he can just leap over the lot of them and coolly waltz into the EZ after sticking the landing. :P

5 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Obviously the main goal is better protection for Josh but after watching last season’s highlights it’s quite apparent that in the games with the Dolphins, and the Jets as well, Josh made them look stupid plenty of times.

It looked like several of them on both teams underestimated Josh and his athletic abilities, all except for Kiko. Imo he’s a dirty player so anything that he did do, or at least tried to do, fits his dirty style of play but between already having sore feelings towards Buffalo and towards McCoy he really was trying to take out Josh a few different times, especially when time after time Josh was turning him inside out. 

The same with with the Jets. One player in particular, I forget which one, I think it was their Safety, seemed pretty frustrated with Josh and looked like he wanted to lay the wood on Allen as well.

Those highlights in particular made me realize that those 2 teams in particular are going to be much better prepared this year against Josh, as well as the rest of the NFL. Beane made sure that just about every OL that he signed has noted as having a nasty disposition. I wouldn’t be surprised if that one of the expectations that was emphasize to every FA OL that he brought in was they want OL that will be bodyguards before, during and after the play. I think that not only is Beane smart enough to know that there’s danger waiting for Josh, especially in our own division, and that instead of just having OL stick up and protect him but rather have OL that will set the tone and even be the aggressors, or should I dare say the bullies. Putting teams on notice that that cheap crap isn’t going to be tolerated. 

At at least that is what I would hope is happening because I am very concerned about Josh’s health this year because of what I saw so far from last year. IF the Bills were to take an OL with their first pick this year then I would expect it to be Jawaan Taylor over Jonah Williams because of his demeanor, and to me his talent.

Go Bills!

I'm sure there's a point to this. But it's not clear and I realize I don't care.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I'm sure there's a point to this. But it's not clear and I realize I don't care.

I'm sure there was something I wanted to say about your response but it just doesn't matter enough to me. But I'll go ahead and post anyway.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I'm more concerned about the scheme Brian Daboll is going to call vs the O line policing Allen after a big/dirty hit. If he stays with that deep passing scheme that looked like the Mike Martz scheme that concussed Trent Edwards out of the league and gave JP Losman PTSD problems. Then Allen may not survive the season despite the influx of the talented mean/nasty O linemen. 

Daboll supposedly brought the NE Patriots playbook with him to Buffalo and instead what he called was for quite a few deep passes which require a lot of 3 to 5 step drop backs. Which usually requires the QB 3-5 seconds in the pocket to throw those deep passes. So, many times last season Josh Allen didn't have time to throw those deep passes and he ended up running due to the pocket breakdown or receivers not being open. He also didn't have much of a run game to help him out either. 

Jim Kelly used to air it out to Don Beebe, James Lofton on occasion and that was usually after they established a solid run game with Thurman Thomas which caused the linebackers and safety's to move up to stop the run. When the Bills faced the ferocious pass rushing Eagles with Reggie White they changed to more quick out throws with more crossing routes. This new scheme enabled the Bills to effectively stymie that pass rush. 

Even with all the new additions to the O line I highly doubt Allen will consistently have the time needed to allow him to make all those deep throws again this year unless they draft a new LT.

Here is hoping the Bills OC changes up his game plan to what the Patriots actually run.