If Quinnen, Oliver, Allen, Bosa, and Sweat all gone before Bills pick...who do you take?

Logic

While doing my draft prep for Virgil's first mock draft, I found myself believing the hype around Devin Bush. He's been shooting up draft boards since his crazy-good combine, and a number of more recent mock drafts have him going to either Denver at 10 or Cincinnati at 11. I don't think we'll take him, but I can see one of those teams -- or maybe even another team -- giving up a Day 2 pick just to move up a few spots. He was a leader at Michigan, and there is a significant drop in value at LB after Bush. Given that a falling quarterback also could give us a trading partner who wants to jump before Denver, I think the #9 pick will be a hot commodity, and I see us taking full advantage of that, especially if all those guys are gone.

3 hours ago, DJB said:

My boy Hockenson!  

Only player in the draft that can help run and pass blocking as well as safety valve over the middle and red zone target. 

To be successful we need to help Josh Allen and see him succeed. Hockenson helps more than any other player

This ^

One all-time great TE with an all-time great nickname retires (Gronk) and his successor is born in the Hock! Love it

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Logic said:

In Joe Buscaglia's most recent mock draft, he drew up a scenario in which Quinnen Williams, Ed Oliver, Josh Allen, Nick Bosa, and Montez Sweat are all gone before the Bills pick at 9.

If this scenario were to play out, and the Bills were UNABLE to trade back for extra picks, who would you take?

I make that proviso because I have the feeling that just about every reply on this thread would be "trade down". Well, suppose you CAN'T trade down here. The phones aren't ringing.

Who do you take?

BPA.

My guess at that would be Jamaal Taylor or Jonah Williams.

F White and yes I am aware his name doesn’t start with F...

The Bills shouldn’t be spending the expensive currency of two firsts and a third on MLB in consecutive drafts..

I’m not buying this one and doubt Beane is either..

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I think there are better players available and white would probably be the best. But I’m taking Hock. You just gotta have a vertical tight end in this league to be a top tier offense that’s just all there is to it. Linebackers and corners are much easier to coach up (especially for this staff) than a tight end. Hock is the playmaker we desperately need. 

"You just gotta have a vertical tight end in this league to be a top tier offense that’s just all there is to it," you say?

So, the Rams, who have Tyler Higbee and Gerald Everett, are then obviously not a top tier offense? That's all there is to it?

About the Saints, were they not a top tier offense? Or if they were, which one of Josh Hill, Dan Arnold or Garrett Griffin was the vertical tight end last year?

I wouldn't mind one of the top TEs, but it's just not true that there are no good offenses without a vertical TE.

Edited by Thurman#1

52 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

F White and yes I am aware his name doesn’t start with F...

The Bills shouldn’t be spending the expensive currency of two firsts and a third on MLB in consecutive drafts..

I’m not buying this one and doubt Beane is either..

one of them would slide outside. The Bills would have a top lb corp for many years to come. I also doubt this happens but its not as if they would be playing the same position. 

I am hoping they can trade back but if they have to stay at 9 and their top target is gone, I think they stick with their board and take bpa. If that's White I'm fine with it.

Devin White, very simple.

The Hockenson at 9 talk reminds me of the majority of this board enamored with Ebron so early.

You just don’t take a TE in the top 10 of any draft. This team needs a run stopping LB, DT, DE/pass rushing player in the worst way. I’d go OL before any TE, Dillard would be a good pick as well.

Really good teams have really good linemen on both sides of the ball. 

Josh Allen’s vertical passing game isn’t conducive to taking a TE that high. If they, by some miracle, decide to trade down, then a case may be made.

Edited by dlonce
  • Like (+1) 1