Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wppete

Bills Pre-draft Press Conference

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

As I've said in another thread, Josh looks much more like a franchise QB with the facial hair. Very positive development.

 

Yes, I agree.  Maybe this is how he did it?

 

 

 

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Logic said:

I thought the most interesting comments form Beane in the entire interview were when he said the d-line class was just "solid". He was asked by the reporter if he felt it was "off the charts great", and Beane didn't seem to think so. He specifically mentioned that once you subtract out the prospects you don't feel are a scheme fit, you're maybe looking at a different d-line class than the public is looking at.

Is he blowing smoke? Is he not that impressed with the d-line class? Is he going to make sure to take one early if he doesn't think the class is great as a whole?

Just interesting.

Probably. Just like when they asked if him if drafting a young RB was a “need” and he said he wouldn’t call it that. I just assume he means the opposite but doesn’t want anyone to know who they’re after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, One Buffalo said:

 

Yeah it's crazy, and apparently many don't like the rule, but they actually aren't allowed to talk.  I am sure many do, but it would explain why Josh got a little flustered there-

 

https://torontosun.com/2017/04/04/a-closer-look-at-the-nfls-off-season-training-rules/wcm/69531d7c-a3c5-4a63-82b0-67d9bb1e0261

 

 

 

Yeah, they can talk about the weather or basketball or hockey.  That’s your story Josh and you’re sticking to it 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, how does that work?  He starts with 300-400 and ends up with a board of 130?   Does that mean that he WOULD NOT take any of the 250 who didn't make his board?   What if he gets to the sixth round and ALL of his 130 are gone?   What does he do?

 

I'd like to know how that works.

 

Fall back is the ESPN app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, One Buffalo said:

 

Yeah it's crazy, and apparently many don't like the rule, but they actually aren't allowed to talk.  I am sure many do, but it would explain why Josh got a little flustered there-

 

https://torontosun.com/2017/04/04/a-closer-look-at-the-nfls-off-season-training-rules/wcm/69531d7c-a3c5-4a63-82b0-67d9bb1e0261

 

 

 

42 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Yeah, they can talk about the weather or basketball or hockey.  That’s your story Josh and you’re sticking to it 

 

I didn’t realize they could even talk about football in the off season. Wonder how the hungry ones get around it. Wonder if union comes down on players who are ratted on for violating (if that ever happens)? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Logic said:

I thought the most interesting comments form Beane in the entire interview were when he said the d-line class was just "solid". He was asked by the reporter if he felt it was "off the charts great", and Beane didn't seem to think so. He specifically mentioned that once you subtract out the prospects you don't feel are a scheme fit, you're maybe looking at a different d-line class than the public is looking at.

Is he blowing smoke? Is he not that impressed with the d-line class? Is he going to make sure to take one early if he doesn't think the class is great as a whole?

Just interesting.

 

That was a very interesting comment for sure. Unless Oliver falls I don’t think we are going dline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

 

I got the sense that Beane and his guys put a board together based on players they really would want on the team.

Starting with 350-400 players and working it down to less than 150 was something I personally never heard a GM talk about.

 

His thoughts on trade ups and downs made a lot of sense.

There was a shockingly high number of good questions and I felt Beane answered them pretty honestly.

 

Let's all hope this years draft falls well for him.

 

 

Its no coincidence that ‘the Godfather’ Gil Brandt puts out his top 150 prospects every year around this time. He’ll release it in the next couple days. It’s how it’s been done for many years, basically the first 4 Rounds.

Yes, Beane is fascinating. Unlike McClappy, Brandon takes each question and gives exacting information to the question, without showing his current hand. Coach routinely resorts to canned comments. I continue to be impressed with Beane. He’s focused & committed to making the team great in his approach, while giving subtle insights. He’s open to anything that may come our way with the Draft, but I suspect if we stay at #9, it’ll be DT.

I’m convinced we have the right GM for this time and place.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2019 at 9:33 PM, YoloinOhio said:

“He’s a pro’s pro” (when asked about anyone recently signed)

👏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

 

I am not totally sure.  I would think that his "boarded" 130 are guys he wants to work into draft selections.

I image they are rated through the 7th round.

 

Would he take guys that are not on his board?  I wish one of those "supposed" sports writers would have asked.

I'm thinking the 130 represent "his guys" so I image there could be an additional list rating guys that didn't make the 1st cut.

He did talk about moving around the draft to secure these guys.  What exact criteria I again am not sure.

Here is another GM on this same subject

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Its no coincidence that ‘the Godfather’ Gil Brandt puts out his top 150 prospects every year around this time. He’ll release it in the next couple days. It’s how it’s been done for many years, basically the first 4 Rounds.

Yes, Beane is fascinating. Unlike McClappy, Brandon takes each question and gives exacting information to the question, without showing his current hand. Coach routinely resorts to canned comments. I continue to be impressed with Beane. He’s focused & committed to making the team great in his approach, while giving subtle insights. He’s open to anything that may come our way with the Draft, but I suspect if we stay at #9, it’ll be DT.

I’m convinced we have the right GM for this time and place.

 

42 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Here is another GM on this same subject

 

 

 

Seems to be a fairly strong consensus that a lot of teams do it this way.

Makes so much more sense than trying to rate every player coming out in one long list.

 

The only question I would have,  is this 120-150 number throughout all (most) rounds OR less.

I would image some GMs have guys on the list that they think are rated in the 5th or 6th rounds.

 

GMs must have a 7th thru UDFA list also.  Of course I could be off a round in my "theory".

 

It would be fascinating to see how the "sausage" is made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

 

 

Seems to be a fairly strong consensus that a lot of teams do it this way.

Makes so much more sense than trying to rate every player coming out in one long list.

 

The only question I would have,  is this 120-150 number throughout all (most) rounds OR less.

I would image some GMs have guys on the list that they think are rated in the 5th or 6th rounds.

 

GMs must have a 7th thru UDFA list also.  Of course I could be off a round in my "theory".

 

It would be fascinating to see how the "sausage" is made.

 

The Patriots typically have no more than 80/85 guys on their board. They target specific guys and move relentlessly up and down the board to get them.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

The Patriots typically have no more than 80/85 guys on their board. They target specific guys and move relentlessly up and down the board to get them.

 

...makes sense.....usually have 27 compensatory picks............

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×