Tony Pauline: 3 Horse Race for #9

4 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Dillard makes zero sense here. Terrible fit. I like Oliver and I can understand the idea of Williams. Dillard, no. 

So you can understand the idea of Williams but not not dillard , how is he a terrible fit 

Just now, Pbomb said:

So you can understand the idea of Williams but not not dillard , how is he a terrible fit 

Yep I understand the idea of drafting Williams and moving him to a guard spot if you think you are getting Zach Martin. I don't like it, but I understand the thinking. I explained above why I don't like Dillard and I don't think he's a first round prospect, and why I don't think he's a fit for our offense. SoI don't understand the interest.

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yep I understand the idea of drafting Williams and moving him to a guard spot if you think you are getting Zach Martin. I don't like it, but I understand the thinking. I explained above why I don't like Dillard and I don't think he's a first round prospect, and why I don't think he's a fit for our offense. SoI don't understand the interest.

Zach Martin threw up 225 29 times compared to Williams 23 and I believe the raw strength gap is even greater than that differential depicts.

Here is the bottom line that cannot be disputed:

McD has done NOTHING this offseason to give Dion Dawkins a glowing endorsement as his left tackle. In fact, he’s left the door open quite a bit to improve at the position. That’s why I think Dillard and Williams are very much in play at 9. Dillard more so since he’s considered the best LT prospect in the draft. However, after hearing that the Bills like Williams as a LT, who really knows?

15 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I wouldn't understand taking an OG at 9 unless he's the 2nd coming of Quinton Nelson.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Huh?  Why Williams I wonder?  With all the improvements we've made along the offensive line (especially the interior), wouldn't you think they'd want to draft a day 1 starter at 9 overall?  Maybe they truly view him as a LT?  I just don't see him being successful at either OT position due to lack of size/strength, but I'm certainly no expert.  Everything I'm reading lately has him slotted as an OG.  I've even heard C might be his best position in the NFL.  I can see Dillard and Oliver, but I can't imagine why they'd be considering Williams at 9.

i don't see williams at all. if for some reason oliver is gone, i can see a trade down where they have options between guys like wilkins, ferrell (sp?) or dillard. this would be their plan b  with their board.

they probably have a 100 situations planned out on who they can get where and what moves may give them extra options.  i know it's been going through my mind 24/7. 13 days...i will take a nap that day so in case the old lady gets yappin about the tv, i've got the bar picked out where i will be.

Edited by billsredneck1

16 minutes ago, Doc said:

I wouldn't understand taking an OG at 9 unless he's the 2nd coming of Quinton Nelson.

Agreed. I would hate it actually, but I'd understand why they were thinking this way. For all of his faults, Williams is a good player. I'd hate drafting Dillard more. He is not a good player imo. He reminds me of Jonathan Martin. Charmin soft. I think all this interest in these tackles is BS to throw people off what they really want. I think they are trying to get people to think they are drafting a tackle at 9 so no one trades up to take they guy we really want. I do think they draft offensive linemen at some point, Nate Davis or something, but just don't see it at 9. 

2 hours ago, billspro said:

Definitely not buying any of this information right now. Obviously they brought Oliver in for a visit so there is interest there.

I agree...if there is any truth to Oliver complaining, McD would be the first to know because he was right up in his grill the whole time, so I’m good if they decide to take him...I just don’t think he will last to pick 9.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Again, I don't see them looking at LT because they're still looking to see if Dawkins regains his 2017 form and he can't play RT.  Nsekhe can play RT (or LT if Dawkins falters again) at a high level for a couple more years and you don't draft a RT (or OG, which Williams projects to) that high anyway.

I don’t buy this at all. What if Dawkins doesn’t regain his 2017 form?  Then we don’t have a viable option. By drafting a tackle you are challenging Dawkins and at worst you have 2 elite linemen. You have to remember that McD is always preaching competition. 

if i had to guess.....and maybe this deserves it's own thread, if i had to guess  players that we draft,  i would have to go with irv smith and risner.

i would have said oliver, but not sure if they can get him.( he could get snagged higher).

if i had to have a wish list....

oliver  future anchor

risner  future rt

irv smith  deep middle reliability

mike mc coy  future center if morse gets hurt

iabella groomed by beasley....which is why they signed him

kahlil hodge home grown...possible steal of the draft

bryce love ....give him a year to heal and we have another young shady

and hopefully land frank clark! 

Edited by billsredneck1

3 hours ago, Midwest1981 said:

I don't see the poster's comment/post anymore but for the record, I don't think that he is attributing the statement that Ed Oliver complained during his Pro Day to the right person (if anyone even said it- I didn't personally come across it).  Brandt wasn't even at the Pro Day (as this quote implies), he has no other tweet re: Oliver's workout, and this single tweet is complimentary, not critical.

Just to piggyback on this, you may want to Google  Oliver’s pro day.By all accounts he blew everybody away! Now I’m thinking that it’s more likely than not he won’t even be there at number nine

24 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I don’t buy this at all. What if Dawkins doesn’t regain his 2017 form?  Then we don’t have a viable option. By drafting a tackle you are challenging Dawkins and at worst you have 2 elite linemen. You have to remember that McD is always preaching competition. 

Nsekhe will compete with Dawkins at LT, but again since Dawkins can't play on the right, they'll want him at LT and Nsekhe at RT.  If Dawkins looks bad, Nsekhe starts at LT, Waddle starts at RT, and Dawkins competes at LG going forward, and they draft a LT next year. 

Has Pauline ever nailed anything Brandon Beane era? I'm curious because i dont know. 

Either way i take everything i hear from the media especially non Bills media with a huge grain of salt this close to the draft

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

Just to piggyback on this, you may want to Google  Oliver’s pro day.By all accounts he blew everybody away! Now I’m thinking that it’s more likely than not he won’t even be there at number nine

Agreed

7 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I still can't see how they don't go DL with this class. Just seems to make sense but who knows at this point. Smokescreen season. They could be leaking info on certain players they "like" and hope that other teams drafting behind them might wanna jump up. Only two weeks to go. Do I dare check my phone for updates during my evening showing of Endgame??

pick a non DL in a weaker position in the first, and rely on depth at DL to scoop one up in the second.

-I don’t know much about Pauline. But last year, the only quarterbacks I heard the Bills were actually high on, were Darnold & Allen. Turns out they took Allen. Part of that was probably because the Jets took Darnold at 3. Regardless, the Bills were high on those two. 

-This year, it seems like they’re really trying to build a bulldog mentality on their front line. Building this line up both in quality and depth, will give Allen and the offense more time to throw, better lanes for running, and as a result better success running play-action. 

-I believe running successful play-action will be the bread and butter of this offense. They’ll want to run a few plays that are the same concept from as many types of formations as possible. 

-I think Oliver is their top guy. His explosiveness could really disrupt opposing offenses. But if he’s gone (and I think he will be, he’s just too talented), Williams will be their pick. He’s got the experience, and he’s played at a big time program against some of the best collegiate talent in the country. He knows the offensive coordinator, and he’s got a nasty streak and a chip on his shoulder that the Bills are looking for. 

*If they do draft Williams rounds 2-4 will be spent getting the following, in no particular order;

Pass-catcher: Either a tight end or Receiver.

Defensive End: Hughes & Lawson could both be gone next year, and the pass rush last season did not have much teeth to it as it was.

Defensive Tackle: they’ll need a 3-technique to rotate with Jordan Phillips. 

*After that well see rounds 5-7 focus on the following:

Running back: They’ll get one late, probably someone who is a pass-catching option as well as a runner.

Linebacker: Build up depth behind Milano & Edmunds

Pass-Catcher: If they take a tight end early, they’ll take a receiver later, and Vice versa. 

Edited by Dkollidas
  • Like (+1) 2