Tony Pauline: 3 Horse Race for #9

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

I don't really see why Williams couldn't hypothetically start from Day 1 at OG.

I don’t really see why Williams couldn’t hypothetically start from Day 1 at LT.  We’re talking about being better than Dion Dawkins, not Jason Peters.

• Like (+1) 1

I would be extremely disappointed if Jonah Williams was the pick.

This offensive line needs a MAULER, not a tactician. Despite the size of the FA acquisitions, each one of them(I believe) has been rated better in pass pro than inline run blocking.

Much rather have Taylor or even Dillard who at least projects as an LT.

59 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Some food for thought: 

Dillard: 

6-5

Hand: 10

Arm: 33 4/8

Wingspan: 80 3/8

40: 4.96

Bench: 24

Vert: 29

Broad: 118

3 cone: 7.44

20: 4.4

Williams: 

6-4 1/2

Hand: 10 1/8

Arms: 33 5/8

Wingspan: 81 6/8

40: 5.10

Bench: 23

Vert: 28

Broad: 100

3 cone: 8.01

20: 4.79

This certainly dispels the notion that Dillard has a length advantage, but he certainly has an athleticism advantage. I worry about Williams ability to block athletic edge rushers at LT.

I don't see the poster's comment/post anymore but for the record, I don't think that he is attributing the statement that Ed Oliver complained during his Pro Day to the right person (if anyone even said it- I didn't personally come across it).  Brandt wasn't even at the Pro Day (as this quote implies), he has no other tweet re: Oliver's workout, and this single tweet is complimentary, not critical.

Edited by Midwest1981

39 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

This offensive line needs a MAULER, not a tactician. Despite the size of the FA acquisitions, each one of them(I believe) has been rated better in pass pro than inline run blocking.

This certainly dispels the notion that Dillard has a length advantage, but he certainly has an athleticism advantage. I worry about Williams ability to block athletic edge rushers at LT.

This is the daily debate about Williams. I'd rather have a "technician" who is almost always in the right position, uses outstanding leverage to play far above his weight, consistently negates "long arms" with lightning quick hands and could likely play every position on the line.  Maulers can't maul if they don't have the proper feet, balance and football savvy (i.e. technique). 

6 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

This is the daily debate about Williams. I'd rather have a "technician" who is almost always in the right position, uses outstanding leverage to play far above his weight, consistently negates "long arms" with lightning quick hands and could likely play every position on the line.  Maulers can't maul if they don't have the proper feet, balance and football savvy (i.e. technique). 

Fair points in the grand scheme of things. That being said, I don't believe he's athletic enough to play LT and I don't believe he's strong enough to push the LOS at guard. So we're essentially talking about a pass blocking guard IMO. Not quite sure I believe proper usage of leverage is enough to overcome the lack of raw power.

I simply don't view him as a top ten prospect.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I think Williams is going to struggle with speed, and Dillard is really going to struggle with power rushers. They are flawed prospects and that is why you do not pick them in the top ten. I do like Williams as a guard or center. I do not like Dillard's game at all.  Dion Dawkins is a better tackle prospect than either in my opinion. 

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Fair points in the grand scheme of things. That being said, I don't believe he's athletic enough to play LT and I don't believe he's strong enough to push the LOS at guard. So we're essentially talking about a pass blocking guard IMO. Not quite sure I believe proper usage of leverage is enough to overcome the lack of raw power.

I simply don't view him as a top ten prospect.

Jonah is somewhere between Andy Levitre and Zach Martin imo

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think Williams is going to struggle with speed, and Dillard is really going to struggle with power rushers. They are flawed prospects and that is why you do not pick them in the top ten. I do like Williams as a guard or center. I do not like Dillard's game at all.  Dion Dawkins is a better tackle prospect than either in my opinion. 

Right. I don't believe either of these guys are worthy of a top ten pick, which is why I'm glad the Bills addressed OL in free agency. They didn't get stars, but they certainly upgraded what was a trainwreck. Just noting that I'd take Dillard over Williams if I had to choose so I differ with your opinion there. My full answer is neither. Taylor is the only guy I see with the upside you're looking for with a top ten pick, but he's "apparently" not on the Bills radar. You never know. 

Edited by LSHMEAB

2 hours ago, chef4131 said:

based on comments made by Gil Brandt regarding Ed Oliver's pro day -if the report is accurate-I am re-thinking Oliver picked by Bills  doesn't seem like a player the Bills would want.

It was reported by Gil Brandt that Ed oliver was complaining during his pro day work outs 

He was? LOL!

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Dillard makes zero sense here. Terrible fit. I like Oliver and I can understand the idea of Williams. Dillard, no. 

Care to explain?

Edited by FeelingOnYouboty

Very surprised to see O-Line still high on so many lists.

If we are going OT, does that mean we've already given up on Dion Dawkins playing that position?

If we are sliding Dawkins inside, that pretty much guarantees Wyatt Teller is a goner, right?  I mean we signed Spencer Long, Jon Feliciano and Quinton Spain already, and all would be worthy of fighting for the starting guard spots.

Who knows for sure what the Bills are thinking here... but I really believe actions speak louder than words. 

Their actions have been to sign SIX offensive linemen in free agency (all of whom are expected to compete for a starting spot).

Their actions have been to sign ONE defensive lineman in free agency (who has more experience as a SLB than as a DE).

2 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Very surprised to see O-Line still high on so many lists.

If we are going OT, does that mean we've already given up on Dion Dawkins playing that position?

If we are sliding Dawkins inside, that pretty much guarantees Wyatt Teller is a goner, right?  I mean we signed Spencer Long, Jon Feliciano and Quinton Spain already, and all would be worthy of fighting for the starting guard spots.

Who knows for sure what the Bills are thinking here... but I really believe actions speak louder than words. 

Their actions have been to sign SIX offensive linemen in free agency (all of whom are expected to compete for a starting spot).

Their actions have been to sign ONE defensive lineman in free agency (who has more experience as a SLB than as a DE).

Again, I don't see them looking at LT because they're still looking to see if Dawkins regains his 2017 form and he can't play RT.  Nsekhe can play RT (or LT if Dawkins falters again) at a high level for a couple more years and you don't draft a RT (or OG, which Williams projects to) that high anyway.

49 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Care to explain?

Ive talked about it a lot on the board. I don't like the player and I don't like his fit in our offense. I think he can work for some of the teams in the league that embrace quick strike spread concepts. Dillard is not a good run blocker, and he does not have the length that people think he does. In fact, Dion Dawkins has more, as does Williams. I think he is Jake Fisher as a tackle prospect. The offense he played in hid his deficiencies really well. WSU offensive linemen often earn very high scores on PFF and often amount to nothing in the NFL. He is nothing like any of the linemen we brought in this off season. 

I think the guy who fits in best with what we want to do and has that nastiness is Dalton Risner. I really don't like any of the other offensive linemen in the first coulple of rounds. I like Ford a bit and Bradbury. But Risner is my favorite. I think Dillard is a trap. I think he's soft and very finesse and doesn't have the ability that he is rumored to have. 

11 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Ive talked about it a lot on the board. I don't like the player and I don't like his fit in our offense. I think he can work for some of the teams in the league that embrace quick strike spread concepts. Dillard is not a good run blocker, and he does not have the length that people think he does. In fact, Dion Dawkins has more, as does Williams. I think he is Jake Fisher as a tackle prospect. The offense he played in hid his deficiencies really well. WSU offensive linemen often earn very high scores on PFF and often amount to nothing in the NFL. He is nothing like any of the linemen we brought in this off season. 

I think the guy who fits in best with what we want to do and has that nastiness is Dalton Risner. I really don't like any of the other offensive linemen in the first coulple of rounds. I like Ford a bit and Bradbury. But Risner is my favorite. I think Dillard is a trap. I think he's soft and very finesse and doesn't have the ability that he is rumored to have. 

My son told me that the best DE Dillard faced this past year was someone who is projected to be a 4th round pick.  Can't remember the player.

• Like (+1) 1

That make me pray that Oliver is the pick at 9.  Offensive line doesn't make any sense IMO.  Right now we have a big hole at 3 tech and two backups battling out for starting TE.  Give me WR, TE, Edge, 3 tech, CB, LB, hell go RB at 9- but for the love of God- please no offensive line at 9

24 minutes ago, Doc said:

My son told me that the best DE Dillard faced this past year was someone who is projected to be a 4th round pick.  Can't remember the player.

Thats an excellent point as well. I think a lot of his "grades" are misleading. He looks the part, but that is also misleading.