Tony Pauline: 3 Horse Race for #9

Huh?  Why Williams I wonder?  With all the improvements we've made along the offensive line (especially the interior), wouldn't you think they'd want to draft a day 1 starter at 9 overall?  Maybe they truly view him as a LT?  I just don't see him being successful at either OT position due to lack of size/strength, but I'm certainly no expert.  Everything I'm reading lately has him slotted as an OG.  I've even heard C might be his best position in the NFL.  I can see Dillard and Oliver, but I can't imagine why they'd be considering Williams at 9.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Huh?  Why Williams I wonder?  With all the improvements we've made along the offensive line (especially the interior), wouldn't you think they'd want to draft a day 1 starter at 9 overall?  Maybe they truly view him as a LT?  I just don't see him being successful at either OT position due to lack of size/strength, but I'm certainly no expert.  Everything I'm reading lately has him slotted as an OG.  I've even heard C might be his best position in the NFL.  I can see Dillard and Oliver, but I can't imagine why they'd be considering Williams at 9.

The only thing I can say is that I have to trust Daboll's judgement in this matter, to some degree, since he worked with him and got to see him up close and personal.

Also, if they draft him at 9, it's got to be seen as an indication that they think he can play tackle in the NFL. I doubt they'd spend the 9th pick on someone they view strictly as a guard. IF they think he can play tackle, I'm fine with picking him. Dawkins, Morse, and Williams as our building blocks and foundation sounds pretty good to me.

At the end of the day, anything that gives Josh Allen an improved chance at success has to be viewed as good pick. Williams should do that. I'd still prefer someone else, but I won't pretend that I know better than a guy that actually coached him in college.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don't really see why Williams couldn't hypothetically start from Day 1 at OG.

Jonah Williams would provide the oline with versatility. If everyone is healthy he could probably slot at RG. If Nsekhe isn't up to starting at RT we could put Williams there. Nsekhe has been mostly a swing tackle and is turning 34 this year. He is not a long term solution for this oline. 

Jonah Williams wouldn't be my pick at 9 but I wouldn't hate it. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

They may think he stands a good chance of winning a competition to start at guard.

Isn't Jonah Williams a little younger than most prospects?  I also read in my draft mag that he has the frame to get bigger.  I think it is the Greg Gabriel mag....he says he has no weaknesses and long arms......aren't other people saying he has short arms?

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/11/02/gabriel-2019-nfl-draft-breakdown-alabama-ot-jonah-williams/a5e2s9f/

I like Jonah Williams.I think the offensive lineman are harder to find and I don’t think the Bills will be picking this high again next year.I also think there is a lot of defensive depth in this draft at picks 3-5...

• Like (+1) 1

I still can't see how they don't go DL with this class. Just seems to make sense but who knows at this point. Smokescreen season. They could be leaking info on certain players they "like" and hope that other teams drafting behind them might wanna jump up. Only two weeks to go. Do I dare check my phone for updates during my evening showing of Endgame??

based on comments made by Gil Brandt regarding Ed Oliver's pro day -if the report is accurate-I am re-thinking Oliver picked by Bills  doesn't seem like a player the Bills would want.

It was reported by Gil Brandt that Ed oliver was complaining during his pro day work outs 

19 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I like what McBeane is doing this offseason but player flexibility thing is going to far. We keep taking guys like this we will have alot of players that are Jack's of all trades master of none situations. 

16 minutes ago, Logic said:

The only thing I can say is that I have to trust Daboll's judgement in this matter, to some degree, since he worked with him and got to see him up close and personal.

Also, if they draft him at 9, it's got to be seen as an indication that they think he can play tackle in the NFL. I doubt they'd spend the 9th pick on someone they view strictly as a guard. IF they think he can play tackle, I'm fine with picking him. Dawkins, Morse, and Williams as our building blocks and foundation sounds pretty good to me.

At the end of the day, anything that gives Josh Allen an improved chance at success has to be viewed as good pick. Williams should do that. I'd still prefer someone else, but I won't pretend that I know better than a guy that actually coached him in college.

Using that same logic you trusted McD/Beane and the way they handled Peterman and the QB position last off-season. “Has to be viewed as a good pick” it’s the 9th overall pick they need to nail it. If drafting Jonah that high proves to be the right decision I will eat my own shoe. 

12 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Isn't Jonah Williams a little younger than most prospects?  I also read in my draft mag that he has the frame to get bigger.  I think it is the Greg Gabriel mag....he says he has no weaknesses and long arms......aren't other people saying he has short arms?

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/11/02/gabriel-2019-nfl-draft-breakdown-alabama-ot-jonah-williams/a5e2s9f/

Yeah, but whats his hand size?  

I think once we start talking about arm length, assuming they aren't drastically too small, we really are nit picking.  Basically, in the same way that hand size is usually irrelevant, I would bet anything arm size is as well.