Offense or Defense in Round 1

BillsVet

7 minutes ago, Toesy said:

Maybe-obviously Randy Moss at his best would be a 20 million dollar player today but so would Reggie White or LT.

And Deon Sanders of course.

Sammy Watkins apparently is a $14 million/year player.  And I don’t disagree that dominant pass rushers like the ones you’ve mentioned are extremely valuable...

16 minutes ago, mannc said:

That's just not true, at least with regard to WR.  Elite WRs (guys who the defense has to account for on every play) are rare and are the second most valuable commodities in the league, besides QB, of course, and the pay scale reflects this.  It's certainly nice to have a great offensive tackle, but it's not a position the defense needs to account for or scheme against.  

That's the thinking that got Whaley into trouble wanting to get Manuel a weapon in Watkins.

16 minutes ago, mannc said:

That's just not true, at least with regard to WR.  Elite WRs (guys who the defense has to account for on every play) are rare and are the second most valuable commodities in the league, besides QB, of course, and the pay scale reflects this.  It's certainly nice to have a great offensive tackle, but it's not a position the defense needs to account for or scheme against.  

WRs the second most important position behind QB?

I don't think that's the case at all. Agree to disagree.

Order of importance: 

1. QB
2. Those who protect YOUR QB and those who negatively affect the OPPOSING QB (Edge, Corner, Penetrating DT)

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That's the thinking that got Whaley into trouble wanting to get Manuel a weapon in Watkins.

Whaley made a trade for a WR in a draft where that position was loaded, perhaps on par with the 1996 draft. 

That he doubled down on Manuel when there was evidence that he couldn't play didn't help his case either. 

Based on who's available I'd prefer one of the top defensive linemen. I'd prefer an edge rusher, but if BPA is a DT, so be it.

If I thought the next Randy Moss or Jason Peters were available I'd be fine with offense, but I wouldn't pass on someone I thought could be the next Dwight Freeney or Vince Wilfork for a guy who looks to be the next Michael Crabtree or DJ Fluker.

A star player who can disrupt the opposing offense does more to help you win than a decent receiver or OT.

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

BEST FOOTBALL PLAYER ON THE BOARD

Which at this point seems more likely to be a Defensive player

As much as I agree about the Offense and want an elite one.  To write off a Penetrating DT is asinine.  The teams with inside pressure can disrupt the best offenses.  Bills currently don't have that, and guess what if Oliver is there at 9 that is exactly what he brings.

I don't think its asinine at all.

-The Rams have had a really good DL for most of the decade, even before they got Donald. They had Long, Quinn, Brockers..then they added Donald on top of that.  They were no more than a 7 win team until they got an offense, including the 3 years they had Donald before they developed an offense.

-The Jets had two good DT's and then drafted Williams in 2015. And they've been...um...the Jets since then.

-The Bills led the league in sacks 2 years in a row and in 2014, had over 17 sacks from the DT's.  They couldn't earn a playoff spot. Hell, last year, they led the league in pass D and won a whopping 6 games.

So the general question of offense over defense....it has merit.

Especially when your offense was ranked 30th last year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CookieG said:

I don't think its asinine at all.

-The Rams have had a really good DL for most of the decade, even before they got Donald. They had Long, Quinn, Brockers..then they added Donald on top of that.  They were no more than a 7 win team until they got an offense, including the 3 years they had Donald before they developed an offense.

-The Jets had two good DT's and then drafted Williams in 2015. And they've been...um...the Jets since then.

-The Bills led the league in sacks 2 years in a row and in 2014, had over 17 sacks from the DT's.  They couldn't earn a playoff spot. Hell, last year, they led the league in pass D and won a whopping 6 games.

So the general question of offense over defense....it has merit.

Especially when your offense was ranked 30th last year. 

Exactly.  I would add the Redskins, who’ve also burned a ton of high picks on their defensive front seven, with zero effect in the win column.

3 hours ago, gjv001 said:

When you evaluate our upcoming schedule what stands out is how many premier RB's we play against.  We need to focus on improving our run defense to have a successful season. From my point of view, the best case draft scenario would be Ed Oliver in the first and Dexter Lawerence in the second.

hadn't given that a thought but would be a smart move to groom star's replacement for next year....although i doubt they will set themselves up for multiple 2nd contracts due at the same time.