Dare I say, Bills might be the pick for Hard Knocks this year

D521646

53 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I know we love our Bills, but I can't think of a more boring team for the general public to follow. 

Hear me out.  End each practice with a Josh Allen throwing contest.  Give Tre White a 30yd  handicap.  My money's still on JA.  Viewers will love this.  

2 hours ago, Augie said:

And we will pick apart AB’s every little move looking for a bad attitude, make fun of Gruden’s giant ego, etc. Or at least I would. We hear a lot about the circus at other teams camps when they are under the spotlight. That’s why I don’t like the idea for my team (as much as I’d selfishly love an inside glimpse). We get enough grief already for being “Buffalo”. 

Agree 100%.  While it would be awesome to have the inside look and some exposure for the team/fan base...it always seems to be such a distraction.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Hard Knocks is not your normal "reality TV" that is built on faux drama and has little to do with actual reality. Watching the past seasons, it doesnt seem like players really change who they are (either way) just because cameras are around. While teams dont get to control the narratives, if HBO was pulling any BS and creating drama, the league wouldnt let them back in. They dont shoot it like a TV show with douchebags in directors chairs. It's more of a documentary than reality TV.

Have you been present for any of this show being made? If you haven't, I'd say that there is probably a lot more production there than you might expect.

7 hours ago, Augie said:

That’s just the thing, there is absolutely NO WAY to know that. It is human nature to be aware there is a camera on you. This will affect some people to some degree. 

I know that’s unpopular with some, but I don’t want by team distracted in any way, and I don’t want their blemishes exposed more than any other teams. 

It's also not just "a camera." Many of the shots you will see on that show are Go Pros. There are certainly quite a few robotic cameras installed in various rooms-- meeting rooms, dorms, etc. But, if you see any camera movement, i.e. a camera is on someone's shoulder, a dolly, or a tripod, there is a team involved. On the practice field, there would be a minimum of 20 people visibly involved, and many more behind the scenes.

And, it's HBO, not Bravo. They spare no expense.

In any of the interview scenes, where the subject is talking to the camera, there would be a bunch of lights, some set dressing, a camera operator, a sound engineer, and either a producer/director sitting in a chair, or a remote speaker from which the producer/director is feeding them questions, and guiding their answers. The conversation will usually go along these lines:

Director/producer: "Did if piss you off that [player x] said [such-and-such]?

Subject: "Yeah, that pissed me off a little bit"

Director/producer: "Can you phrase that as a statement?"

Subject: "It pissed me off when [player x] said [such-and-such]."

If they find drama-- even a tiny little bit-- they will try to exploit it.

11 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

It's also not just "a camera." Many of the shots you will see on that show are Go Pros. There are certainly quite a few robotic cameras installed in various rooms-- meeting rooms, dorms, etc. But, if you see any camera movement, i.e. a camera is on someone's shoulder, a dolly, or a tripod, there is a team involved. On the practice field, there would be a minimum of 20 people visibly involved, and many more behind the scenes.

And, it's HBO, not Bravo. They spare no expense.

In any of the interview scenes, where the subject is talking to the camera, there would be a bunch of lights, some set dressing, a camera operator, a sound engineer, and either a producer/director sitting in a chair, or a remote speaker from which the producer/director is feeding them questions, and guiding their answers. The conversation will usually go along these lines:

Director/producer: "Did if piss you off that [player x] said [such-and-such]?

Subject: "Yeah, that pissed me off a little bit"

Director/producer: "Can you phrase that as a statement?"

Subject: "It pissed me off when [player x] said [such-and-such]."

If they find drama-- even a tiny little bit-- they will try to exploit it.

A camera is a camera. People react. 

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

What's one example of them doing this over the past 5 seasons (or even ever) of Hard Knocks?

It's amazing what can be cobbled together in the editing room. The truth is that the people who produce such things are very good at their jobs. And to give you an example of something from the last five seasons (and, I do admit that this is conjecture-- but, I have little doubt), all of the bombast, and obnoxious behavior from DC Gregg Williams, I have to believe was heavily encouraged by the producers, and highlighted in the editing room. Sure, he did actually say all of those things, and we will watch, and assume that we know what kind of jackass he is. But, this is the way that they portray him, and it will be an incomplete picture.

5 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Such as ? 

An entire production crew running around your facility? I work on such production crews, and trust me-- we're obnoxious.

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

It's amazing what can be cobbled together in the editing room. The truth is that the people who produce such things are very good at their jobs. And to give you an example of something from the last five seasons (and, I do admit that this is conjecture-- but, I have little doubt), all of the bombast, and obnoxious behavior from DC Gregg Williams, I have to believe was heavily encouraged by the producers, and highlighted in the editing room. Sure, he did actually say all of those things, and we will watch, and assume that we know what kind of jackass he is. But, this is the way that they portray him, and it will be an incomplete picture.

An entire production crew running around your facility? I work on such production crews, and trust me-- we're obnoxious.

If theyre are cobbling a story together in the editing room, then there was no real drama in the locker room to worry about.

And Greggggg Williams has ALWAYS been Greggggg Williams. He was running around the Bills training camp with an air horn for an alarm clock back in 2001. The producers have to encourage nothing. Plenty of players and coaches fly under the radar of Hard Knocks just fine. And there are plenty of personalities in an NFL locker room that already exist without any encouragement.

1 hour ago, eball said:

The entire show. 

So you've never seen it.

You know what I try to pretend to be all clean cut by the book and never want to ruffle feathers every year and give the standard “oh just what they need a big distraction” and what exactly has that gotten us?! Another “winning the offseason”? I can’t live this lie anymore I have to be me now. I want them to be on Hard Knocks this year, next year and every year! Screw the torpedoes give me some Bills on Hard Knocks!

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If theyre are cobbling a story together in the editing room, then there was no real drama in the locker room to worry about.

And Greggggg Williams has ALWAYS been Greggggg Williams. He was running around the Bills training camp with an air horn for an alarm clock back in 2001. The producers have to encourage nothing. Plenty of players and coaches fly under the radar of Hard Knocks just fine. And there are plenty of personalities in an NFL locker room that already exist without any encouragement.

I guarantee you that story lines, drama, and conflicts are emphasized, and embellished in the editing room. If the director sees the potential for a conflict, they will exploit it. That is literally the director, and editor's job. And, I doubly guarantee you that an entire production crew (and Hard Knocks is an enormous production) is a distraction for everyone that has to endure its presence.

• Like (+1) 1

There has never been a more perfect fit for Hard Knocks than the 2019 raiders. Gruden and Mayock are both used to being on tv, AB might get enough attention that he doesn’t need to jump on IG every 5 minutes, and I’m hoping to catch Carr’s makeup routine. I’ve been struggling with the eyeliner/mascara ratio.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

There has never been a more perfect fit for Hard Knocks than the 2019 raiders. Gruden and Mayock are both used to being on tv, AB might get enough attention that he doesn’t need to jump on IG every 5 minutes, and I’m hoping to catch Carr’s makeup routine. I’ve been struggling with the eyeliner/mascara ratio.

PIC’s or it didn’t happen.

10 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

So you've never seen it.

I've watched a handful of episodes over the years, most recently about three or four of the Browns' episodes last season.  It's a completely edited "reality TV" show.  It's not a documentary in any sense of the word.  I mean, come on -- that overly dramatic piece about Corey Coleman's shoe collection and him leaving the facility?  Give me a break.  While I found some entertainment value watching the manufactured drama of other teams, there's no way in hell I want the Bills on that show.  Just a personal preference.

• Thank you (+1) 1