Colton Schmidt suing AAF

1 hour ago, Bills2ref said:

I highly doubt those brilliant business men didn’t form some type of LLC to abolish their liability. There are very few company types where if it fails you can go after the businessman behind the company. 

Not that simple, maybe. The guy promised $250 M, then only delivered part of it to the league. He could be found responsible. Bottom line is we just don't know either way. Depends on the contracts and the details.

If they didn't put something in these player's contracts to make the contract void if the league folded, they are idiots. They deserve to be sued.

Don't think a judge will see it that way, though.

3 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

This made me giggle. Since when do lawyers need a “legitimate case”?  LOL

Some good some bad. Just as with any other profession we could name. The reality though is that if they only picked up non-legit work, they would struggle to keep the lights on, as there are frivolous litigation sanctions available as a deterrent for an aggrieved party to obtain against that. Not a perfect system to be sure, but it’s not as bad as stereotypes let on.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Better headline: "Colton Schmidt hires lawyer to file claim in bankruptcy court."

I read the league shut down.....that doesn's necessarily mean they filed in bankruptcy court....at least not yet.  May do that, though, if they haven't to protect the league assets (whatever that might be) from legal actions like the one being discussed here.  I, for one, think the players without a job might be giving the union some heat to negotiate a deal with the league so play might resume.  Anyhow, more news to follow...sort of like a soap opera.

12 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

The dudes that found/owned the league still have plenty of money. 

This kind of thing happens a lot in situations such as this (businesses failing and not fulfilling promises). Bank pays out the settlement and the sued party pays back the bank over time, with interest, I think. Something like that.

Who...Charlie Ebersol?  And the guy who chipped in the money ("$250 million") can't be personally found liable for a business that went bust.  HE saved it in week 2 actually.

The best part is that these guys are claiming that when they signed a 3 year (non guaranteed) contract, they had a reasonable expectation that the league would survive the length of the contract.  That's ridiculous.  Laughed out of court if they claim this.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

This kind of thing happens a lot in situations such as this (businesses failing and not fulfilling promises). Bank pays out the settlement and the sued party pays back the bank over time, with interest, I think. Something like that.

I doubt you can breach a non-guaranteed contract, so that claim is out. 

If he performed services (practice, games, etc) and was not paid, then you might be able to "pierce the corporate veil" and go after the owners, otherwise, he's out of luck. 

Also, unless he is claiming unpaid wages, he is out of luck in general.  You don't have a right to non-guaranteed future wages. 

And even if a Court found a right to future contractual earnings, the league is bankrupt, and only its assets can be gone after unless gross malfeasance by the owners, which is highly unlikely. 

Edited by RyanC883
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

..looks like many more suits to follow..............

AAF implosion spawns multiple class-action lawsuits

Posted by Mike Florio on April 10, 2019, 11:10 PM EDT

The AAF is gone, but it won’t be forgotten. Because its name will continue to be involved in litigation, indefinitely.

Via ESPN.com, a pair of class-action lawsuits already have been filed against the AAF. One lawsuit, pursued on behalf of all players, was filed in California state court. Another lawsuit, filed by the Birmingham Iron’s director of community relations, was filed in California federal court.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/10/aaf-implosion-spawns-multiple-class-action-lawsuits/

32 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The whole AAF fiasco stinks to high heaven.  How pissed would you be if you worked for 8 weeks and didn't get paid?  Hope the players, coaches, etc. get everything they're owed.

If this actually happened anyone would be pissed.

But that didn't happen.

5 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The suit said "failure to pay wages".  Where did it say they got paid?  I re-read the article and didn't see that.

Future wages. They got paid for the weeks that they played.  Dundon covered payroll up to the point they pulled the plug.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Future wages. They got paid for the weeks that they played.  Dundon covered payroll up to the point they pulled the plug.

The article is really unclear about that.  It weakens the suit considerably if they got paid for the 8 weeks.  Hard to prove damages unless someone was injured in those 8 weeks.

Just now, Freddie's Dead said:

The article is really unclear about that.  It weakens the suit considerably if they got paid for the 8 weeks.  Hard to prove damages unless someone was injured in those 8 weeks.

They've been getting paid all along.  No one is claiming otherwise.

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

If they didn’t get paid for the 8 weeks that they worked then they should absolutely get paid. Lawsuit should be in their favor easily. Now the actual problem, collecting. They will get in line with a long line of debtors who will want what little assets the AAF has. The investors behind the league will be completely off limits. 

18 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Yup my Uncle got like 60 bucks from Smith Corona?