Political fundraiser question

I have no idea why I come here for advice but sometimes I do. You guys are great.

With that being said I have a political fundraiser to attend tomorrow. The suggested donation levels are $250, $500 or $1,000. It is being put on by my 2 biggest clients and the candidate is a niece of one of them. She’s already in office though. I can’t expense a political donation so this one is coming out of pocket. Whether she remains in office or not has no bearing on me personally. It is 100% about doing something for these 2. Do I need to go to the $1K or can I get away with $500 without looking like a cheap @ss? 

1 minute ago, Max Fischer said:

Did anyone personally talk to you about the event?  Or just send an invite?

What kind of event?  Small-ish reception with you and their other clients, or a larger reception with all kinds of donors?

Yeah, my client (whose niece it is), called me and asked me to come. He never asks for anything and it is a larger reception with all kinds of donors. It will be a very politically powerful room. 

3 minutes ago, ocemur said:

Think about how much you profit from their business. 10-20% is a standard kickback.

That would be well beyond the maximum donation allowed ($5k). I can’t do that. I’m thinking I should do $1k but was kind of hoping someone would say less is okay. My fear is that I look cheap but at the same time this buys me nothing but goodwill. It’s important goodwill but I’m having a hard time justifying it in my head.

Just now, Max Fischer said:

If he called and never asks, scratch out the $1K.  Even better, send him a follow up note thanking him for invite, how it was a nice event, he must be proud if his niece and good luck to her.  He’ll always remember.

Thanks Max, I think that’s great advice!!

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That would be well beyond the maximum donation allowed ($5k). I can’t do that. I’m thinking I should do $1k but was kind of hoping someone would say less is okay. My fear is that I look cheap but at the same time this buys me nothing but goodwill. It’s important goodwill but I’m having a hard time justifying it in my head.

I don’t think $500 will kill you in his mind, but obviously more is better. Depends on how big of a client he is and what it means to you annually. Work the room right and turn it into a win/win. I agree with the above, follow up with a written reminder you were there, thank and flatter him. It’s all about the networking. My son has had this drummed into him to no end, and he’s learned to buy in. Thanks mom! (Networking is actually the answer to “best advice ever” on his pending MBA application to Emory or Georgia Tech.) 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Feel free to contribute to contribute to others on this board as well.  I can send you the details on how to paypal me your donation. It is for a great cause:

image.png.8860bb7b680477940745bac80aff68f6.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

I’d go with the 1000. Seems like the extra $500 will more than pay for itself in good will. If not, you’re a Bills fan. I’m guessing you’ve spent $500 on something that offers far less of a return...

This is kind of where I’m at. These 2 clients represent about 65%-70% of my annual income. I really need the goodwill (but they do love me). 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is kind of where I’m at. These 2 clients represent about 65%-70% of my annual income. I really need the goodwill (but they do love me). 

Oh Lordy! Write the check! Spend the money and never look back. 

Have to go with the $1k for clients that are roughly 2/3 of your annual income.  Let them know they mean a lot to you.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

Oh Lordy! Write the check! Spend the money and never look back. 

8 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Have to go with the $1k for clients that are roughly 2/3 of your annual income.  Let them know they mean a lot to you.

Ha ha, you guys aren’t helping!! 

JK, I appreciate the feedback and that’s what I’ll do. Thank you guys. I’ll report back on it after.

Ha ha, you guys aren’t helping!! 

JK, I appreciate the feedback and that’s what I’ll do. Thank you guys. I’ll report back on it after.

Study up in advance and work a room full of heavy hitters. It’s not an expense, it’s an opportunity. 

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Study up in advance and work a room full of heavy hitters. It’s not an expense, it’s an opportunity. 

Oh for sure, the other host of the party is the Chairman for the Congressional Black Caucus (Cedric Richmond). He’s a power broker in the House. This room will be filled with influential people around here and I already have a few that I know I need to be introduced to.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Kirby, I'm very confident that your client is going to know how much you contributed, especially if he was the person who recommended you for the event. Since your client is important to a large percent of your take home revenue I would donate the thousand. 

If you are in regular contact with the client or if you see him at the event just go up to him and say how proud he must be of his niece. Again, he will already know how much you have contributed. The biggest drawback on making a political contribution is that you will be on a list and you will be repeatedly contacted for additional contributions by many other candidates. That's part of the deal that you won't be able to escape. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

Also make sure to drink A LOT. I’m talking full on peeing in the corner / black out. Let em know you really know how to party.