Bills sign DE Eli Harold

CNY315

18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ziggy has his shoulder checkup this week or next week I heard. He won’t sign anywhere until then but I think there’s a chance he comes here

GettyImages-631175078-1260x800.jpg

Blitz newsletter: Could the Ziggy Ansah decision determine Buffalo's first pick?

The Bills and any other team interested in signing defensive end Ziggy Ansah have been a "holding pattern" for a few weeks now.

The holdup, according to Ansah's agent, is that teams wanted more info about his surgically repaired shoulder.

That information is due by mid-April.

Some mocks, including Mel Kiper's, have the Bills taking Michigan defensive end Rashan Gary with the ninth pick. But if the Bills like the medical report and sign Ansah before the draft, it's possible they'd address a different need.

However, with both Jerry Hughes and Shaq Lawson heading into the final year of their contracts in 2019, anything is possible.

One thing is certain, though: it's a good year to be a defensive end or edge rusher.

11 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

They signed a guy who has 9 career sacks.

Serioisly? Now Dline and edge rusher are less of a need? ?

I'd guess you misperceive how McBeane operate.   

They want team players who have certain physical skills.   This guy has physical skills.   I'd guess they look at him and think "he will fit our schemes and make plays."  They aren't looking for stars in free agency; they're looking for good athletes who will do their job.  Their objective is to have a team full of good athletes who will do their jobs, and then they sprinkle in a few stars wherever they find them.  

I'd guess this guy will see significant playing time, unless they find someone better.   But they aren't going chasing after someone better - they can live with Harold.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

...kid has certainly dealt with adversity and seems stronger for it....good luck young man.....:thumbsup:.....

Sal Maiorana, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle Published 4:30 p.m. ET April 10, 2019 | Updated 5:00 p.m. ET April 10, 2019

Dealt with sad adversity

Harold endured a tragic year when he was a junior in high school. Within two months his nephew passed away from an enlarged heart condition, and his mother died of pancreatic cancer.

“Thinking back, how my mom raised me to be a strong man, I feel like I’ve been through so much in my life and I’m only 24,” he told ESPN last year. “There’s nothing that can happen to me that hasn’t already happened.”

MAIORANA@Gannett.com

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Sad 1

So if I'm reading things right about his past playing DE and OLB (in a 4-3) he could be depth for both Hughes and Lorax.

That could make him a pretty good depth guy.

We all know how much Beane and McDermott like the multiple position players.

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/11/2019 at 12:56 PM, ColoradoBills said:

So if I'm reading things right about his past playing DE and OLB (in a 4-3) he could be depth for both Hughes and Lorax.

That could make him a pretty good depth guy.

We all know how much Beane and McDermott like the multiple position players.

He could also take over for Alexander on ST's. ..leaving lorax fresher for his full time defensive spot.

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/19/2019 at 11:54 AM, ColoradoBills said:

His contract numbers finally came in to Spotrac and came in cheap.

895k with 90k guaranteed and a cap hit of 735k.

71 signed and Beane still has 31 million in cap space.

More than reasonable, in fact Beane is cheap....

• Haha (+1) 2