Bills sign DE Eli Harold

CNY315

Our depth at LB is terrible.

Im really leaning towards Brian Burns at #9.  He would excel at the role Lorax plays, gain a year of mentorship while still getting solid playing time. I’d think we may be able to trade down some but he’s been put in a positive light since his combine performance at 250 lbs. He may be worthy of the #9 pick.

But maybe Eli Harold will be behind Lorax being he also plays at under 250lbs and is an undersized DE

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Solid get -as are all the FAs signed this year. Still need another one and if we can sign one before the Draft, it locks in DT @ 9 for me.

I agree.  I think that they aren't counting on an elite edge guy falling to them. This indicates to me that they believe a DT will be the BPA for them at #9 and they will pick one.

6 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

He's a rotational edge player with good speed who was a 3rd rd draft pick by the 9ers in 2015.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2019/2/19/18203968/2018-detroit-lions-roster-review-did-eli-harold-add-enough-to-keep-him-around

We could maybe be looking at him to play SAM as a backup too?

This is probably best case scenario.  Worst case is camp fodder.

6 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Lol my 4th DE in Madden.  Good Height, Weight, Speed.  Outside of him in the game dont know much. Imo brings more to the team as a pass rusher than Yarborough.

He's more athletic than Yarbrough for sure.

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I was enamored of Manny Lawson's athleticism coming out of NC State. He ended up with the Bills at the tail end of an average career. I would say these occurrences serve as a cautionary tale of "be careful what you wish for" when it comes to the draft.

Manny Lawson was still an athletic freak when he played for the Bills. Rare coverage ability for a lengthy guy. Great #3 OLB in a 3-4 scheme. Versatile. 

But didn't he kind of do something terrible or at least get into some trouble at the end, after his Bills tenure? Domestic stuff? (I don't want to open another tab and type stuff there and all that.)

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Manny Lawson was still an athletic freak when he played for the Bills. Rare coverage ability for a lengthy guy. Great #3 OLB in a 3-4 scheme. Versatile. 

But didn't he kind of do something terrible or at least get into some trouble at the end, after his Bills tenure? Domestic stuff? (I don't want to open another tab and type stuff there and all that.)

Yeah. Lawson had a decent career and played pretty well for the Bills. Not the career I personally anticipated. (We all have those guys every year we see big things for).

IIRC, it was a disorderly conduct domestic violence situation where there were serious questions about whether or not any "violence" took place. Also don't really want to use the google machine because it's old news.:D

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Logic said:

It's funny how that stuff works. 

A lot of Bills fans would have LOVED to have Vince Young or Matt Leinart when those guys came out. Sure enough, both of them became Buffalo Bills at one point. To top it off, the other big picks from that draft that we would have killed for at the time were Mario Williams and Reggie Bush. Both of THEM became Bills, too.

And remember the 2013 draft? The one in which we wound up with EJ Manuel? We had lots of really fierce Matt Barkley boosters who badly wanted to see him be the pick. Draft magazines that year were touting him as a 1st round pick. He fell all the way to the FOURTH ROUND. And now? He's a Buffalo Bill.

Weird.

...here's another weird one........we draft McCargone from the NC State Triangle, moving back into the 1st and he's a colossal bust......then we end up with the other 2/3 of The Triangle via FA, namely Mario and Manny...go figure....

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

Meh - Ansah is a dubious pickup - I'm hoping this means that's over.

So many good rookies to be had at DE/Edge

We have enough needs that I’d be happy to sign a player like Ansah and then use our high picks to shore up other areas.  I’d be excited to see him and Olivier added to this line.  That’d make for a formidable pass rush. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Agreed. Same weight (245 lbs) as Lorenzo Alexander and 2" taller.  Really see OBD looking to try him as Zo's backup this year.  Some amazing #s at Combine in 2015.  Good edge setter versus Run at SAM per 49ers reports.  Basically a one year audition.  

4.60 SEC in 40
35.0 INCH vertical
123.0 INCH broad jump
7.07 SEC 3 cone drill
4.16 SEC 20 yd shuttle
11.81 SEC 60 yd shuttle

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/eli-harold?id=2552494

Out of all those stats, I would be more impressed if his benching count was really high to make up for the lack of weight. Comparing to Lorenzo is a tall order. He is more of a unicorn than the standard.

2 minutes ago, DieHardBillsFan said:

Out of all those stats, I would be more impressed if his benching count was really high to make up for the lack of weight. Comparing to Lorenzo is a tall order. He is more of a unicorn than the standard.

Sorry forgot to list - 24 reps - not bad for a LB

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, freddyjj said:

49ers drafted him to be a 3-4 OLB so size / speed (4.61 40) there to be SAM possibly?  Maybe backs up Zo (played SAM in 24 starts in 16/17 with 49ers) or competes for backup DE.   Was a backup DE in Detroit last year with no starts .  

Availability and versatility in a depth player is a good thing!  He did sack Tom Brady twice vs Pats last year!  Beats the Pats LT Brown badly here!

The best part of this clip is Brady, at the tail end, looking over, ostensibly, to the refs for a flag... typical Patsie move: it didn't go my way? Ref... why not?