Bills sign DE Eli Harold

CNY315

4 minutes ago, DieHardBillsFan said:

Really light for a DE.

Agreed. Same weight (245 lbs) as Lorenzo Alexander and 2" taller.  Really see OBD looking to try him as Zo's backup this year.  Some amazing #s at Combine in 2015.  Good edge setter versus Run at SAM per 49ers reports.  Basically a one year audition.  

4.60 SEC in 40
35.0 INCH vertical
123.0 INCH broad jump
7.07 SEC 3 cone drill
4.16 SEC 20 yd shuttle
11.81 SEC 60 yd shuttle

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/eli-harold?id=2552494

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For all those saying he'll likely play SAM for the Bills: I doubt it.

When the Bills sign players, they tend to list them on their little publicity graphics as the position they will play for the team. For instance, Maurice Alexander, even though he's primarily been a safety in his career, was listed as a linebacker. The fact that Harold is listed as a DE leads me to believe that he'll be playing DE. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

For all those saying he'll likely play SAM for the Bills: I doubt it.

When the Bills sign players, they tend to list them on their little publicity graphics as the position they will play for the team. For instance, Maurice Alexander, even though he's primarily been a safety in his career, was listed as a linebacker. The fact that Harold is listed as a DE leads me to believe that he'll be playing DE. 

Good point - but saves a spot if he can backup at Zo's spot too.  He's played SAM more than DE in league - and if he is just depth nice to have a dual backup on game day roster

4 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Good point - but saves a spot if he can backup at Zo's spot too.  He's played SAM more than DE in league - and if he is just depth nice to have a dual backup on game day roster

I don't believe that's true.

I don't think he's EVER played SAM in the NFL.

He was an outside linebacker for the 49ers, but they play a 3-4. As such, he was an edge rusher there.

He was then, if I'm not mistaken, strictly an edge rusher for the Lions in their 4-3 defense.

I'm not saying he CAN'T do it in the NFL, but I don't think he ever HAS done it.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

I don't believe that's true.

I don't think he's EVER played SAM in the NFL.

He was an outside linebacker for the 49ers, but they play a 3-4. As such, he was an edge rusher there.

He was then, if I'm not mistaken, strictly an edge rusher for the Lions in their 4-3 defense.

I'm not saying he CAN'T do it in the NFL, but I don't think he ever HAS done it.

Just a case of semantics here my friend.

Harold, 24, has made 24 starts in the NFL and has never missed a game. He’s played in multiple schemes, from 3-4 outside linebacker to the strong side in a 4-3 defense. With the Lions, he’ll be in Matt Patricia’s hybrid scheme, allowing him to play multiple spots.

He was on the roster bubble in San Francisco and was in danger of being cut, so the 49ers saw it fit to acquire something in return rather than outright releasing him before Week 1. Harold started both of the 49ers’ first two preseason games this year as the coaching staff got a long look at his game.

Mark Nzeocha will help replace Harold at Sam linebacker, but in today’s NFL where nickel packages are essentially the base defense, his loss won’t be a huge blow for San Francisco.

There is a SAM position in a 3-4 and that is where he played for 49ers with 24 starts in 32 games.  Same position Zo played in Rex's D.  

• Thank you (+1) 1