Is Kelvin Benjamin's career over?

23 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

Which is why we got him for a third.  Things could have gone differently, they didn't. 

There was a point in KBs career he probably could have brought in two firsts or at least a 1st and 2nd.

No there wasn't. The last point at which KB was worth a 1st round pick was the moment the Panthers spent one on him. Wide receivers depreciate in value unless they are special. Sammy Watkins is a better player and when he was traded 3 or 4 months before Benjamin he fetched a 2nd and a defensive back (and we sent a 6th I think the other way). 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

No there wasn't. The last point at which KB was worth a 1st round pick was the moment the Panthers spent one on him. Wide receivers depreciate in value unless they are special. Sammy Watkins is a better player and when he was traded 3 or 4 months before Benjamin he fetched a 2nd and a defensive back (and we sent a 6th I think the other way). 

I believe you but I thought he performed better than expected after year 1, if someone wanted to trade for him at that point I would think it would cost more than a first.

Unfortunately another Beane "gem" in the pro personnel department.

Hopefully this UFA class breaks the curse of Beane's awful pro personnel results............just ONE reliable every down player from the pro side would be a first in his short tenure.

• Like (+1) 1

In 2009 on team that was almost as bad, for 2 million dollars the Bills got a 35-36 year old T.O. to catch 55 balls for 829 yards and 5 tds.

I bring it up because it is still just so amazing how bad Benjamin was, in his youth with a contract on the line.

If the ball was on fire you'd think he'd catch it.  You'd think he'd run every route as if his life depending on it.

...it just never seemed that way.

1 hour ago, Thunderstruck said:

Should make the move to TE, honestly

He isn't going to cut it at WR anymore

Why do you think a failed WR can convert t o TE?  His size?

If you play with no heart or passion as a WR, why will he be better as a TE where you need to get dirty blocking?

I’ll admit I was super excited when we “stole” him for a 3rd from the Panthers. He was one of the teams needs at the time and had shown he could be a number one with potential. As the say hindsight is 20/20 and he failed here in Buffalo. I don’t wish him ill will and hope he can turn his career around as long as it’s not with the Pats. I highly doubt he will though. 

It's only his fault if it is the end of the road.

All he had to do was exert maximum effort for one season to get a new contract and couldn't find the motivation to do that.  He may have hated Buffalo but all he had to do was give it his all while he was here and then he'd likely be able to pick where he'd want to play.  

I don't know if he's dim, lazy, surrounded by poor advisors, or all three.  

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Hopefully this UFA class breaks the curse of Beane's awful pro personnel results............just ONE reliable every down player from the pro side would be a first in his short tenure.

Top 5 GM. 

3 hours ago, cage said:

that's just based on size... TEs have to work pretty hard in the blocking game.  I don't think he has the desire in him to make that change.

not a shred of dispute there

you never know though, he might like a few more paychecks before having to get a real job in sales

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Perhaps, but last year’s tape is just not kind to him. Never saw a receiver stop running so many routes over the course of a season. That is just unacceptable on every level. 

Agents should teach their players the difference between business decisions and playing yourself.

Zach Brown is a notable recent example of a guy who cost himself about $10M in GTD money with a Pro Bowl season by having some horrible tape.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He's the anti-Whaley. We need to combine them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, cd1 said:

Kelvin might not even be in shape to work out for a team...

217743.jpg?w=296&h=392

He never seems to motivated.

Jazz:  “I’m starved!  When do we eat here?”

KB:  “We eat here later.  You eat here never.”

Jazz:  “Looks like you eat here often.”

6 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

It appears we may have seen the last of the Kelvinator. He remains unsigned, and it's hard to envision a team finding a role for a slow, lazy ex-star with suddenly brick-like hands.

At one point, he was referred to as the top WR in this free agency class.

It's one of the more sudden non-injury-related falls from grace I've seen for a first-round pick in recent years, especially one who was a borderline household name at one point.

I'm not sure he was a star.  He was certainly a good player from whom it was believed a next step was possible.

I think he probably doesn't want to take a pay cut from his $9M option year.  He could kind of argue Buffalo was a fluke due to the strange QB situation but when he moved to KC with Mahomes targeting him and pulled the same TD-went-through-his-hands crap, he didn't make a persuasive case for his value as a >$9M man.

He'll probably sign somewhere, but not until teams see what they get in the draft and his agent sees that he needs to adjust his salary expectations.

6 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

Should make the move to TE, honestly

He isn't going to cut it at WR anymore

I think TEs need to do stuff KB has not shown desire or aptitude to do - like, oh, you know, block.

25 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

One of the Worst players to ever wear a Bills uniform.

New around here?

Not hardly.  And I'm not happy to say that.

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

New around here?

Not hardly.  And I'm not happy to say that.

Very far from it.

It's one thing to being a bad player (Rudy) and working your ass off and not cutting it. It's a whole different matter when you actually do have some skills and have zero heart and are a lazy POS like KB was here. KB was a absolute joke for the Buffalo Bills. One of the worst players we have ever traded for.  I'm just glad Beane seen it and cut ways knowing it was a blow against him, that showed me a lot about Beane actually. Makes me personally like him more for cutting bait. 

This one really deserves it's own poll. Granted V.Davis will be on this list as well, at least his tenure was short and sweet and he stated he physically just didn't have it anymore and walked away. :P

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 1