Feels like Pick 9 is no-mans land

36 minutes ago, foreboding said:

Unless a blue-chip falls, the Bills are likely to have a pool of players who could just as easily be there at a later pick, 12 or 14. Without some luck (QB who might stir a trade or another Blue chip falls) I do not love our position. 

Personally I really hope Beane either goes for a blue-chip by expending some of this years draft capital or trades down.

I know we have been discussing this in various threads, but what are your thoughts?

Not really a whole lot of Draft Capital in the warehouse.

Add in a player perhaps? 

1 minute ago, Steve O said:

Which is why I can see us trading up to 6 if the guy that McBeane covets is still there. Giants should still be able to get their QB at 9.

"QB? What's that?" Dave Gettleman, 2018, 2019 and every year thereafter....

• Haha (+1) 4

This draft is loaded with talent in rounds 2-4 would love to trade down for extra picks but it takes two. If no trade offers best player available easy as that. I would love to have them trade back twice in the 1st round and load up with a ton of picks. We will see what happens. If the QB's start flying off the board some teams might panic.   

Edited by ALLEN1QB

I think Beane shocks the world and takes Metcalf at 9.  Reminds me of the Josh Allen pick: some serious question marks, but if there weren’t, a player with these tools wouldn’t be available here.  He’s a guy other teams in the conference will hate trying match up with.

I see the Bills looking at either Allen or Sweat .as their favorites , the likely need a trade up for either, if unable to get them I see a trade down if possible, then DK Metcalf , Hockenson , Ferguson are possible,

my thinking is the likely picks are still  Montez Sweat in 1st. Dexter Lawrence in second, Moreau,Ridley, or Irv Smith jr. in third

my my wish list is  Josh Allen!!!!!!  2.0

and 

Jaylon Ferguson,  Dexter Lawrence, Dalton Risner, Benny Snell jr. , Riley Ridley ,Olive Sagapolu, Dru  Samia, Micheal Dieter,  Max Crosby, Carl Gunderson.

give me a combination with those guys and I am smiling .! And yes I would trade a Ist next year to get Allen! 

• Like (+1) 1

The only issue I have is that if it's "no man's land" - then why would anyone want to trade up to get to "no man's land"? 

I suppose there's a scenario in which someone wants a QB. But I feel like given the crop this year, that's not all that likely. 

I understand what's being said and I agree. I just think we're probably just gonna have to stay put and take the one Beane likes the most.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, wppete said:

We are good. #9 is a good spot. Let’s hope for a run on QBs in the top 10. Maybe even a couple

of OL go top ten also and some elite defensive players drop to us. 

This would, of course, be the best case scenario. Someone always drops, someone always trades up in a surprise move, so it is possible. 

• Like (+1) 1

Hard to see a scenario where one of Bosa, Q Williams, Josh Allen, or Oliver makes it to pick 9.  Even if Devin White and 2 QB’s go before us and Jax takes an O Lineman, Detroit probably takes whoever drops.  Probably need 3 QB’s to go before us to land one of the 4 premier DL.  

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Hard to see a scenario where one of Bosa, Q Williams, Josh Allen, or Oliver makes it to pick 9.  Even if Devin White and 2 QB’s go before us and Jax takes an O Lineman, Detroit probably takes whoever drops.  Probably need 3 QB’s to go before us to land one of the 4 premier DL.  

Only other scenario would involve some team that fell in love with Metcalf

23 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I don't think it's as cut-and-dried as all that, Bill. You could be right. That's a thoughtful list. But a team or two could easily disagree or find bad fits, and it's certainly reasonably likely that two QBs go that early as well. Maybe even three, though maybe not. QB fever is as bad as gold fever.

To answer your exact question, in that case I'd probably go Williams. Maybe Dillard.I'd guess Hockenson might be available with a smallish trade-down myself, though I'm far from sure. I wouldn't feel those two were a reach.

Not that I'm against trading down. It's often a smart move.

The team who drafts Dillard is going to very much regret it in a couple of years, especially if they take him in the first. Top ten is a massive reach. 

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn't hate Williams but it isn't my ideal outcome. Dillard to me is a reach and a poor fit for this offense. I have a second round grade on him but he will likely go in the first - I just think he is a very specific scheme fit for a team that plays a quick strike, rhythm passing offense where the ball is out quick. He is a below average run blocker and I also question how he would hold up trying to block for those longer developing down field pass plays. Good technician, very good feet, lacks strength and power.

EDIT: If we are in the position where the 8 I listed have gone and there is no reasonable tradeback offer then I'd take either Clelin Ferrell or Brian Burns.

Fair enough. But good evaluators can have different views.

I mean, Daniel Jeremiah has Hockenson, Christian Wilkins, Josh Jacobs and Devin Bush in the top nine of his big board. And Gary tenth. And that's on a board with no QBs in the top ten.

I like Burns a lot, actually. Maybe I could change my mind a bit. I don't do nearly the work that you appear to do, but I like Jonah Williams quite a bit. I don't know enough about Ferrell to have a sensible opinion.

55 minutes ago, foreboding said:

Unless a blue-chip falls, the Bills are likely to have a pool of players who could just as easily be there at a later pick, 12 or 14. Without some luck (QB who might stir a trade or another Blue chip falls) I do not love our position. 

Personally I really hope Beane either goes for a blue-chip by expending some of this years draft capital or trades down.

I know we have been discussing this in various threads, but what are your thoughts?

Our thoughts are in the other 87 threads

Take your top 9 guys at positions we are realistically going to draft... at least one of them will be there and more likely than not 3 or more will be there. Don't overthink this.

I only think Metcalf comes into play if we somehow trade back a few spots.  There are many other upside players with less risk at 9.

My current list in no particular order:
Quinnen Williams, Bosa, Allen, Sweat, Gary, Wilkins, Taylor, Oliver, Hodkinson 

• Like (+1) 1