Your All-Time Fav/Memorable Bills Plays

10 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Ah. Nice catch. It was actually the next SEASON. Didn't fully examine the post and assumed it was the end of the 12' Pats game. The Dray Flo Pick elicited such emotion for various reasons. Sadly, that regular season win is the highlight of the last decade. Better days ahead....maybe.:D

No, the Oakland/NE*** comebacks were back-to-back weeks in 2011, following the opening win at KC.  The Bills got to 3-0 (and 5-1, I think) before collapsing.

• Like (+1) 2

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 1:44 AM, Doc Brown said:

Some immediate one's that come to mind that haven't been mentioned.

-Flutie's naked bootleg for game winning TD against Jaguars.

I was at that game. That ended the game and the stadium erupted. People were falling down in the stands. I wound up on the ground with old ladies on top of me.

To this day I think that it was meant to be a handoff and was really a broken play during which Flutie improvised. Pat Williams had a key sack late in the game. I think that it was the most exciting game that I ever attended.

There was also another Flutie play that sticks out.....many, many years ago. Flutie threw a block on a Monday Night Game and wiped some huge guy out. The Bills players on the sideline were confused and laughing. The opposing team was getting all over the guy who took the hit. They might have been playing New England but I can't fully recall.

19 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..Losman throwing TWO 83 yard TD's passes to #83 in the same game....what are those odds?..........

Didn't we actually lose that game to Miami?  As I recall Losman couldn't complete a first down and kill the clock for much of the 2nd half and blew the game.

Wow, was he a disaster or what?

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Great post, thanks for the upload! Did anyone else catch that the Denver blocker who got beat by Odomes was none other than Rick Dennison? Small world...

Also, what a classic line by the Ref—“I’ve been requested to assist in quieting the crowd, your cooperation is appreciated” as poor Elway can’t call his audibles backed up to the EZ, LOL!! 

It's all kind of a blur now but for those that don't remember, the NFL tried to make excessive crowd noise a loss of times out or a 5 yard penalty .  Elway tried to get the rule invoked, the referee had to make the announcement but did not make the penalty call for some reason.  The snap was probably too early and Elway fumbled it.

Expecting fans to spend all that time and money to attend the games and then expecting them to remain quiet through the visiting teams' offensive series was just NFL dumb.  Fans want to show support above and beyond that of an audience at an opera otherwise there's one less reason to be there.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, OJ Tom said:

????

That is a pretty serious accusation, what is the basis of it? It's not that I can't fathom it being true, but need some kind of evidence.

It's a somewhat widely held belief, going back to his days at Iowa when he fumbled four times in the first half of the Rose Bowl.  Many believe he was a dirty player who took bribes, although I don't believe he was ever formally charged or convicted.

Just now, eball said:

It's a somewhat widely held belief, going back to his days at Iowa when he fumbled four times in the first half of the Rose Bowl.  Many believe he was a dirty player who took bribes, although I don't believe he was ever formally charged or convicted.

Interesting. Now I think I remember hearing about this actually, years ago. I know he wasn't well liked.

Between that play, and the bogus facemask penalty on Bruce Smith against the Bengals the season before.... it's painful to think how far those teams could have gone.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

In his defense though, he was wearing some type of cast or brace for an arm injury that supposedly interfered with his ability to make that EZ catch? Of course, if that’s true, then why did the coaching staff or medical personnel not just keep him out so that somebody 100% could’ve been in there to catch what would’ve been the game winner? 

So I guess my point overall really isn’t “in his defense?” :D:doh:

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

2 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

It's all kind of a blur now but for those that don't remember, the NFL tried to make excessive crowd noise a loss of times out or a 5 yard penalty .  Elway tried to get the rule invoked, the referee had to make the announcement but did not make the penalty call for some reason.  The snap was probably too early and Elway fumbled it.

Expecting fans to spend all that time and money to attend the games and then expecting them to remain quiet through the visiting teams' offensive series was just NFL dumb.  Fans want to show support above and beyond that of an audience at an opera otherwise there's one less reason to be there.

Yeah, that confused me watching that. I didn't know there used to be rules like that. Pretty sure now the fans can be as loud as they want, right? Regardless of the situation.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Yeah, that confused me watching that. I didn't know there used to be rules like that. Pretty sure now the fans can be as loud as they want, right? Regardless of the situation.

I don't think that it ever applied for the duration of the play however--only for the snap counts/audible calls phase, and it appears it was one of those rules not strictly enforced. Below are a couple of quick links I found on the interwebs concerning the overall concepts, old (1989-1994) and present:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1885183-how-does-the-12th-man-really-affect-nfl-games

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/nfl-rules-on-crowd-noise/

I sort of scrolled through to see what others said. Mine are similar.

Stratton Lincoln for sure.

Mcgee's kickoff return.

Beebe and Lett

Fitz to TO for 99 yards. 

Plenty more I'm forgetting. A lifetime of highlights.  

6 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Shady’s overtime TD run in the snow game 

Oh, yeah!

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/10/2019 at 4:39 AM, SoCal Deek said:

OJs first quarter 80 yard touchdown run in the ‘73 opener at New England. (You just knew something big was about to happen.)

I think people forget what a one-man team OJ was.  The Bills' passing game during that era was pretty much non-existent.  Teams knew he was getting the ball, but they couldn't do anything about it.  In OJ's 273-yard record-breaking Thanksgiving Day game against Detroit in 1976 the Bills' QB (Gary Marangi) was 4-21 for 29 yards.     

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Supposedly no artificial noise.  There's been stories of teams piping amped up crowd noise through their PA system and the rules for that are not clear to me.   I think they can't do it after the huddle breaks and the offense approaches the line (much like the boat horn or whatever that is) but  teams have been accused of doing that during the play, iirc.

It was different then.  Stadium capacity was 80,020.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

Unfortunately, the play that sticks in my head is Stevie Johnsons drop in the endzone on the last play vs the Stoolers. I was at BWW surrounded by Stooler fans and I made a fool of myself jumping up, yelling and knocking a beer off the table in celebration. Terrible humiliation after we all realized it was not a catch.

I wouldn't say it's my favorite play but it's one I seem to remember a lot because it was the first time I'd seen it. 1990 season, MNF against the Raiders, Nate Odomes stripped Tim Brown and took it in for a TD. I was a kid and didn't know you could do that, haha. 

A lot of others I recall have already been mentioned. 

I don't even know if he did it twice but I remember it as Willie Gault and the TV commenters beforehand talking about his world class speed and how Odomes couldn't handle him-and then Nate just manhandles the guy like he was a little kid. You certainly could be right that it was Brown-in any event what a great play. 

The play that stands out in my memory that has yet to be mentioned was in the early 90s against the Rams in Buffalo, I believe it was opening day.  Bills punt and just as the Rams returner (IIRC it was former Bill Vernon Turner) catches the ball, Tasker just lights him up.  Timed it perfectly.