If anyone still thinks we drafted the wrong QB

On 4/9/2019 at 6:55 PM, ProcessAccepted said:

I was letting YouTube autoplay while I was doing some work and this video came on. Apologies if it's been shared before, but the way Josh Allen answered the last question gave me chills. I cannot wait for next season

She looks like a dark haired Cersei Lannister in that photo.   Winter is Coming!!!

On 4/10/2019 at 3:08 AM, Doc Brown said:

I felt we picked the wrong qb and now I'm 50/50.  I still feel like Rosen will have an Eli Manning type career once they get the right pieces around him no matter what team he plays for.  Allen's mobility has impressed me along with his mental makeup.  Nothing has alleviated my accuracy concerns, throwing careless interceptions by playing hero ball, his ability to quickly go through his reads quickly, and his ability to read a defense and make make presnap adjustments.  I think people on this board need to curb their enthusiasm when it comes to Allen.

Yes. I am far more enthused than I was on draft day 2018, but I wasn't moved by a fluff piece. Strengths are greater than I anticipated. Weaknesses are pretty much as advertised TO THIS POINT. 

On 4/10/2019 at 11:04 AM, Yoho said:

I look at it this way.  If suddenly you found out that Josh Allen had been traded straight up for Josh Rosen, how would you feel?

I would be very unhappy.

Very unhappy, but Josh Rosen is not the benchmark. 

I wanted Baker Mayfield and he was clearly the best choice, but I also think Darnold will be solid. Josh will continue to be splashy, but inconsistent. I wouldn't rule out Rosen this early on either and L Jackson may prove to be very good as well. I hope I'm wrong about Allen, but a highlight reel play every once in a while in year after year of losing records isn't what I'm looking for.

Edited by GreggTX

2 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I wanted Baker Mayfield and he was clearly the best choice, but I also think Darnold will be solid. Josh will continue to be splashy, but inconsistent. I wouldn't rule out Rosen this early on either and L Jackson may prove to be very good as well. I hope I'm wrong about Allen, but a highlight reel play every once in a while in year after year of losing records isn't what I'm looking for.

No worries Gregg, we have ourselves a keeper. I totally get the wait and see approach, but I feel it in my bones that Allen is different in a good way from the Edwards, Losmans, Kolbs, et al types that litter the wayside of our franchise anguish. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

No worries Gregg, we have ourselves a keeper. I totally get the wait and see approach, but I feel it in my bones that Allen is different in a good way from the Edwards, Losmans, Kolbs, et al types that litter the wayside of our franchise anguish. 

I don't doubt that he'll be better than those guys, but I worry about the off target pass behind the receiver that leads to a game killing interception and such. His athleticism will create some spectacular plays, but I wish I had a nickel for every tims I've heard a coach or player say that "We just have to be more consistent." Well, it turns out that consistency IS the major difference between champions and everyone else.

17 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I don't doubt that he'll be better than those guys, but I worry about the off target pass behind the receiver that leads to a game killing interception and such. His athleticism will create some spectacular plays, but I wish I had a nickel for every tims I've heard a coach or player say that "We just have to be more consistent." Well, it turns out that consistency IS the major difference between champions and everyone else.

I'm meh on consistency. I think it's too hard to achieve in the NFL. Brady and the Patriots are the exception- the consistent winner. But I throw them out because it's not replicable. So consistency gets you guys like Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Wilson...guys who can perform season after season without a much variation. They're worth a ton because they can get you close to the Super Bowl year in and year out. 

However...they're pretty rare as well. And if you can't have a Hall of Famer behind center, I'll take a guy who's going to have an up and down career but the highs can take you all the way to the top. I think Allen can be that guy who can dominate when everything clicks for him. It won't be every season, probably, but he could have a Newton 2015 or Kaepernick 2013 or Flacco/Foles playoff run to win it all. That's good with me for now anyway.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I'm meh on consistency. I think it's too hard to achieve in the NFL. Brady and the Patriots are the exception- the consistent winner. But I throw them out because it's not replicable. So consistency gets you guys like Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Wilson...guys who can perform season after season without a much variation. They're worth a ton because they can get you close to the Super Bowl year in and year out. 

However...they're pretty rare as well. And if you can't have a Hall of Famer behind center, I'll take a guy who's going to have an up and down career but the highs can take you all the way to the top. I think Allen can be that guy who can dominate when everything clicks for him. It won't be every season, probably, but he could have a Newton 2015 or Kaepernick 2013 or Flacco/Foles playoff run to win it all. That's good with me for now anyway.

You'll find quite a few here who don't think that Newton is a "franchise QB" and would be extremely upset, labeling Allen a bust, if he's first 8 seasons are akin to Newton.

(I think they are insane. I'll take that in a heartbeat)

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think all the teams that drafted QB's in round 1 are happy with their pick, with one obvious exception. As has been pointed out, Arizona set Rosen up to fail so that's on them. Will be interesting to see how this class progresses. 

On 4/10/2019 at 4:28 AM, GunnerBill said:

I think part of it with Allen as well is he is still well below average (for NFL standards) in his short game. Which means that it is harder for Daboll to get him into a rhythm with the sort of driver starters that you saw say Chicago run for Trubisky or the Rams run for Goff. I think they have to do a better job of starting him with 10-15 yard shots down the field. That becomes easier if you can get the run game going because you can then come out with the threat of the run and hit play action early behind cheating linebackers. But if a successful run game isn't on film for teams to respect it takes those early play action opportunities away. That is why improving Josh is as much about improving the offense as a whole as it is developing him.

I just think a solid running game helps every QB regardless of his strengths.....it all about being multi threat.

On 4/10/2019 at 6:08 AM, Doc Brown said:

I felt we picked the wrong qb and now I'm 50/50.  I still feel like Rosen will have an Eli Manning type career once they get the right pieces around him no matter what team he plays for.  Allen's mobility has impressed me along with his mental makeup.  Nothing has alleviated my accuracy concerns, throwing careless interceptions by playing hero ball, his ability to quickly go through his reads quickly, and his ability to read a defense and make make presnap adjustments.  I think people on this board need to curb their enthusiasm when it comes to Allen.

Eli ?? No thanks.

Allen is going to make Roethlisberger look like a chump.

On 4/10/2019 at 12:44 AM, Da webster guy said:

I'm so embarrassed that I wanted Rosen instead that I call myself a loser everytime I look in the mirror

not me, Rosen was a disaster under pressure (in college, didn't see his pro games).

i really wanted Mayfield and was hopeful for Darnold, but Allen started growing on me after the senior bowl and the offseason. 

Now  we have the best of the lot.

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'll take either one if it means two Superbowl victories.

If we get the right team around him i really think we can win more.

• Like (+1) 1