If anyone still thinks we drafted the wrong QB

I felt we picked the wrong qb and now I'm 50/50.  I still feel like Rosen will have an Eli Manning type career once they get the right pieces around him no matter what team he plays for.  Allen's mobility has impressed me along with his mental makeup.  Nothing has alleviated my accuracy concerns, throwing careless interceptions by playing hero ball, his ability to quickly go through his reads quickly, and his ability to read a defense and make make presnap adjustments.  I think people on this board need to curb their enthusiasm when it comes to Allen.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I felt we picked the wrong qb and now I'm 50/50.  I still feel like Rosen will have an Eli Manning type career once they get the right pieces around him no matter what team he plays for.  Allen's mobility has impressed me along with his mental makeup.  Nothing has alleviated my accuracy concerns, throwing careless interceptions by playing hero ball, his ability to quickly go through his reads quickly, and his ability to read a defense and make make presnap adjustments.  I think people on this board need to curb their enthusiasm when it comes to Allen.

If he wasn't the only player on the field with game he might not have to play Hero Ball so much. 

When the MLB is in the backfield one second after the ball is snapped, your receivers can't get a release and are dancing with the CB at the line of scrimmage or unable to get any separation down field, and the whole play is blown up before it even has a chance to develop, that is a recipe for Hero Ball.

This year with a solid O-line and some real skill position players on the field to help him, hopefully it won't all be on Allen to make things happen, i.e. Hero Ball.  Let's be real here, Josh Allen was the entire offense last year.  As a rookie.  If Allen didn't do it, it didn't happen.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm in a not too dissimilar position. I'm maybe a little more encouraged than you - I think there was some progress on the accuracy but it very much depends on him getting into a rhythm early in games.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm in a not too dissimilar position. I'm maybe a little more encouraged than you - I think there was some progress on the accuracy but it very much depends on him getting into a rhythm early in games.

I noticed that too GB when I went back and watched more.

It seemed like when he started good early in the game he "got into a groove" and looked comfortable.

When he had trouble early it seemed like he started trying to force things, instead of letting the plays develop, he started rushing and trying to "make something happen"

Reminds me of a guy in basketball who nails his first two shots, gets the hot hand, and has a great night... But that same guy will miss his first couple of shots, and instead of waiting for his looks, he just starts chucking up bad shots in traffic hoping they will start going in...

Or baseball when a guy gets hot he starts getting comfortable and locked in, but when he's in a slump go starts swinging at first and second pitches every at bat even if they are terrible and out of the zone

I think these tendencies to force things when they aren't working early will hopefully fade over time, and I think a big part of that is good coaching

Fingers crossed

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I noticed that too GB when I went back and watched more.

It seemed like when he started good early in the game he "got into a groove" and looked comfortable.

When he had trouble early it seemed like he started trying to force things, instead of letting the plays develop, he started rushing and trying to "make something happen"

Reminds me of a guy in basketball who nails his first two shots, gets the hot hand, and has a great night... But that same guy will miss his first couple of shots, and instead of waiting for his looks, he just starts chucking up bad shots in traffic hoping they will start going in...

Or baseball when a guy gets hot he starts getting comfortable and locked in, but when he's in a slump go starts swinging at first and second pitches every at bat even if they are terrible and out of the zone

I think these tendencies to force things when they aren't working early will hopefully fade over time, and I think a big part of that is good coaching

Fingers crossed

I think part of it with Allen as well is he is still well below average (for NFL standards) in his short game. Which means that it is harder for Daboll to get him into a rhythm with the sort of driver starters that you saw say Chicago run for Trubisky or the Rams run for Goff. I think they have to do a better job of starting him with 10-15 yard shots down the field. That becomes easier if you can get the run game going because you can then come out with the threat of the run and hit play action early behind cheating linebackers. But if a successful run game isn't on film for teams to respect it takes those early play action opportunities away. That is why improving Josh is as much about improving the offense as a whole as it is developing him.

• Like (+1) 5

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think part of it with Allen as well is he is still well below average (for NFL standards) in his short game. Which means that it is harder for Daboll to get him into a rhythm with the sort of driver starters that you saw say Chicago run for Trubisky or the Rams run for Goff. I think they have to do a better job of starting him with 10-15 yard shots down the field. That becomes easier if you can get the run game going because you can then come out with the threat of the run and hit play action early behind cheating linebackers. But if a successful run game isn't on film for teams to respect it takes those early play action opportunities away. That is why improving Josh is as much about improving the offense as a whole as it is developing him.

Agree completely

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Hero ball is the biggest one to me. Be on the lookout for the fist 3rd and 5 were the RB in the flat is there to move the chains. Does he take it or is he sacked looking for a chunk? 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

Two things.

He was a rookie last year, and one who never got to play with the first string until the second half of the preseason. That's not a winning combo for getting into synch with the receivers and driving the Ferrari.

What? What did I say - Ferrari? Last year's O - especially the O Line and Wide Outs was more like a 1970 Yugo. It was beyond putrid. Josh was about the only bright spot in a thoroughly s ***** Offense. In fact, it was an offensive Offense. To his credit, he has the skills to play "hero ball" and aptly demonstrated them to the amazement of his fans and much of The League. 

I expect him going into the Off Season program and through TC and the PreSeason as the unquestioned #1 will help cure some of the flaws - not just in his game, but the entire Offense's. Night and Day.

• Like (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Hero ball is the biggest one to me. Be on the lookout for the fist 3rd and 5 were the RB in the flat is there to move the chains. Does he take it or is he sacked looking for a chunk? 

The first half of last season he was holding it too long in those scenarios and getting sacked. Post injury his internal clock was better and he was getting out and making first downs with his legs. The next step is to speed up his processing of the field and get the ball out quickly to the back for the first.

• Like (+1) 5

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

If he wasn't the only player on the field with game he might not have to play Hero Ball so much. 

When the MLB is in the backfield one second after the ball is snapped, your receivers can't get a release and are dancing with the CB at the line of scrimmage or unable to get any separation down field, and the whole play is blown up before it even has a chance to develop, that is a recipe for Hero Ball.

This year with a solid O-line and some real skill position players on the field to help him, hopefully it won't all be on Allen to make things happen, i.e. Hero Ball.  Let's be real here, Josh Allen was the entire offense last year.  As a rookie.  If Allen didn't do it, it didn't happen.

....unless Matt Barkley did it.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The first half of last season he was holding it too long in those scenarios and getting sacked. Post injury his internal clock was better and he was getting out and making first downs with his legs. The next step is to speed up his processing of the field and get the ball out quickly to the back for the first.

I’m not sure it’s processing as much as it’s pragmatism.  

Some of the most broken-ass processors we’ve seen under center were checking down before the snap. 

For him I think it’s going to be maturity not processing. 

49 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’m not sure it’s processing as much as it’s pragmatism.  

Some of the most broken-ass processors we’ve seen under center were checking down before the snap. 

For him I think it’s going to be maturity not processing. 

Certainly part of it is experience but I think part of it looked (and I say looked because you can only make an educated guess on this stuff off the all22) like he was just not getting there in his progressions. Not all on him, protection has to be better (I expect it to be much improved with Spain and Morse) and maybe the play design has to help him get to those check downs sooner. But at the same time Allen has to see things quicker and be a faster decision maker and then when he is he has to be more consistent with his ball placement (because it has been more of a problem in the short game than anywhere else). I do think we will see improvement this year. I expect that.

On 4/10/2019 at 6:23 AM, eball said:

Where's the fun in that?

Dude I always laugh at the Curb Your Enthusiasm, You Guys Are Too Excited About This Guy or This Team etc. people.   I could never imagine in a million years typing "hey you guys need to slow down, we still don't know about Josh Allen...."

The best thing in life is enthusiasm and positivity.  That's all there is.   It's all I teach my kids, it's the only kind of people I hang around, and it's the most important characteristic of a winner.    I don't get it.    Had to move seats during the snow game vs Indy because the aholes next to us were complaining and yelling negative stuff constantly even though they were Bills fans.     (luckily we had 20,000 available seats by halftime to choose from)

• Like (+1) 3