What's the better strategy for the Cardinals?

D521646

3 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

If anyone with a QB need thought of Rosen as a franchise QB, they would have offered Arizona a #1 pick.  So far, according to rumors, the best offer is a #2.  

That's not true.  Why overpay, when the Cardinals have no leverage? 

The #1 overall is perhaps the hardest pick to trade down from. Whichever value chart one consults, the only teams that have the value, this year, to move up there are #2 and maybe #3.  Teams have to trade multiple #1s, and a lot more, to do it. It's a hell of a lot more realistic value-wise to trade up to #5+, than #1-4.

Thus the notion that ARZ has the choice to trade down...is most likely an illusion. There's like a 10% chance that choice exists. They can always choose to get fleeced, like the OAK did in 2013...but why? ARZ has a ton of picks today, OAK didn't then. None of SF, NYJ, or OAK need QB this year. Drafting one would create chaos for any of those 3 teams, similar to the chaos that ARZ will get for drafting Murray. 

That's why I'm 40/60 on believing Murray at #1 today. I'm moving towards: this is all smoke generated by ARZ to draw in OAK. Doubly so because of what Rosen would cost. You need 2 teams to trade. But, you only need 1 idiot team out of 31 to fleece, and hey, weren't talking OAK drafting here. Rosen should cost a team a low 1, high 2, another 2, and a player or a 3 as well. Why? 85% chance Rosen is a franchise QB: he's got NFL film to prove it. Teams routinely spend 2 #1s+ for the chance to draft a guy who has an unknown chance of being a franchise QB. Rosen is a known entity. OAK has the pieces to trade up to draft Murray, or trade for Rosen...which makes me think this whole think is about F'ing with OAK's head.

In fact, this is starting to sound like RG3/Manziel all over again. Can't wait for somebody to tell me "The league is changing and you just don't understand that!" as the reason their bad idea...is unconvincing. The league isn't changing: would you rather have Josh Allen run a QB keeper/draw, or Kyler Murray?

It's the Cardinals

they will wind up with neither playing for them to a useful degree

and tons of top 3 picks over the next 20 years amounting to nothing gained at all

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, gjv001 said:

Support my HC by drafting Murray. Keep Rosen until someone offers a deal I can't refuse.

But what if no deal comes? This whole assumption that somebody has the large amount of assets, and are willing to trade them, for Rosen is based on what, exactly? These arguments always come down to some hypothetical "team X", and never specify what team will offer what specific assets to get Rosen.

Rather it's just "some offer" from "some team".  

13 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

That's not true.  Why overpay, when the Cardinals have no leverage? 

It's true that the Cardinals have sabotaged themselves, but if there is more than one team interested, which I'm betting is the case, they still might be able to get a first for Rosen.

24 minutes ago, row_33 said:

It's the Cardinals

they will wind up with neither playing for them to a useful degree

and tons of top 3 picks over the next 20 years amounting to nothing gained at all

As my father would have said, “the Cardinals could screw up a one car funeral”.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

As my father would have said, “the Cardinals could screw up a one car funeral”.

the Bidwells get their own spot of infamy on the Mt. Rushmore of useless ownership families

no playoffs from 1949 to 1973

no playoff win from 1949 to 1997

was your father emotionally invested in the Cardinals football woes?

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

No, but for an exercise in futility such as the Cardinals have exhibited these many years, that would have been my dad’s way of indicating ineptitude.

11 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

No, but for an exercise in futility such as the Cardinals have exhibited these many years, that would have been my dad’s way of indicating ineptitude.

in the mid-80s they had a decent team on paper and i chose them way too early in a high-stakes pool for team wins, had to hear about that for a year...  :(

i think the yayo that invaded the Royals and baseball Cardinals hit the football Cards as well in STL

10 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the Bidwells get their own spot of infamy on the Mt. Rushmore of useless ownership families

no playoffs from 1949 to 1973

no playoff win from 1949 to 1997

...they actually started to turn things/interest around a bit when Jr took over from Bidwell Sr.....the old man got spoiled by TV revenue sharing and had no problem stuffing his mattress despite 30,000 in the seats.....

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...they actually started to turn things/interest around a bit when Jr took over from Bidwell Sr.....the old man got spoiled by TV revenue sharing and had no problem stuffing his mattress despite 30,000 in the seats.....

well.... how atrociously can you screw up playoff chances when there are only 4 teams in your division?

and with the NFL being totally into parity and all that...  :D

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

well.... how atrociously can you screw up playoff chances when there are only 4 teams in your division?

and with the NFL being totally into parity and all that...  :D

..it's an art from...they really have not done squat since the Warner days.....Fitz staying loyal is a head scratcher and I certainly respect him....the obscene TV revenue pot makes some of these owners, fat, lazy and richer, sitting back to rake it in....look at Brown in Cincy....think I read McBeane has a staff of 17+ and I'd bet his payroll including him is well north of $5 mil.....Brown has a staff of three, THREE, and one is his daughter......bet Mickey D's would pay her more.....

10 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..it's an art from...they really have not done squat since the Warner days.....Fitz staying loyal is a head scratcher and I certainly respect him....the obscene TV revenue pot makes some of these owners, fat, lazy and richer, sitting back to rake it in....look at Brown in Cincy....think I read McBeane has a staff of 17+ and I'd bet his payroll including him is well north of $5 mil.....Brown has a staff of three, THREE, and one is his daughter......bet Mickey D's would pay her more.....

being a Bills fan, how can you screw up 2 decades with only 4 teams in your division....

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

being a Bills fan, how can you screw up 2 decades with only 4 teams in your division....

......simple answer......make sure you have "F Troop" running the show post Polian........been there DID that........

14 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

......simple answer......make sure you have "F Troop" running the show post Polian........been there DID that........

what's his face teamed up with Flutie for some near-years with the Bills and Bolts

• Like (+1) 1