What's the better strategy for the Cardinals?

D521646

1 minute ago, mannc said:

To my knowledge, there is no evidence to support the bolded statement.  What am I missing?  Are you saying this because no one has traded for Rosen so far?  Are you privy to ongoing negotiations between the Cardinals and other NFL teams?

I've read all the stories & nobody has offered Arizona anything higher than a 2nd.  The best story is the one about Arizona trying to save face.  https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cardinals-reportedly-receive-two-trade-offers-for-josh-rosen-want-to-save-face-in-deal/

I wonder if the NFL also don't want this resolved anytime soon as it makes for great television. Arizona make deal on draft day and then pick Murray # 1. If Rosen is traded today everyone knows that Murray is going first and removes all of the mystery.

9 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I've read all the stories & nobody has offered Arizona anything higher than a 2nd.  The best story is the one about Arizona trying to save face.  https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cardinals-reportedly-receive-two-trade-offers-for-josh-rosen-want-to-save-face-in-deal/

If you believe the stories, then, teams have already offered AZ a second round pick for Rosen.  That sounds like there are GMs out there who like him.  I don't know what AZ is holding out for, but it's possible a team will up their offer at some point before or during the draft.  Rosen was the 10th overall pick last year.  He didn't play great last year, but he wasn't awful, either, and his supporting cast was putrid. 

Rosen is to some extent a de-valued asset, but that's only because of the Cardinals' egregious mishandling of the situation, which has greatly diminished their own negotiating leverage.  But there's really nothing Rosen's done on the field to make teams think he can't succeed in the league.   For a frame of reference, Rosen's rookie passing stats are pretty comparable to Josh Allen's and no one is giving up on Josh Allen at this point.

Edited by mannc
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I would trade out because I think Murray will tank hard. He's still just a kid. Not a leader. He wanted to play baseball, but is going with the NFL per his dad's wishes because the endorsements will be much better as the #1 pick in the NFL vs just some guy in the MLB.

The Cardinals will basically have two college kids (Kliff and Kyler) as the leaders of their team... it's not gonna end well.

• Like (+1) 3

If all the reports we hear are true about Kingsbury's infatuation with Murray, the Cardinals' level of interest in him may have artificially upped the perceived value of a QB who may not even be viewed as the top QB in this draft by any of the other 31 teams in the league.

My guess is that there is probably a battle being waged among the Arizona decision-makers. First, there is the new head head coach and his camp that want to invest the #1 overall pick in Murray. Then there are the scouts, etc. who have numerous other players with a higher grade.

If I were the Cardinals, I would take a page out of what the Chargers did back in 2004. They favored Phil Rivers over Eli Manning (especially given Eli's public desire to play somewhere other than San Diego). However, they understood that Eli was the hotter commodity. So they went ahead and drafted Eli #1 overall and made a deal with the Giants -- that if the player they wanted (Rivers) was still there at #4, they would trade Eli for that pick. That trade netted the Chargers additional first rounders AND they got the QB they really wanted.

If my assumption is correct about the scouts' grade of Murray being less than that of, say, Bosa or Q. Williams or whomever, then maybe it would be in the Cardinals' best interest to draft that player at #1 overall and then have a trade in the works with another team in the top 5 to swap that player for the later draft pick, provided that Murray is still there. That would enable the Cardinals to get the player they want AND pick up some extra high draft picks.

Of course, if the scouts and Kingsbury are on the same page regarding Murray, then they ought not fool around and should simply take him #1 overall.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

you just know the Pats will bring in a Steve Young/Aaron Rodgers type to replace the HOF great in his last days....

Drew Lock  at 32  per a Mock Draft 

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Draft Murray, keep Rosen and choose your savior after 10 months

so they will trade with SF for NICKMULLENS ???    ;)  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Cards are in camp now....and Kingsbury will get his first look in person at Rosen.   I think its possible he might change his mind after he sees him throw day after day.  Might change it either way btw.....so, I am guessing the final decision isn't in concrete yet.

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

Exactly. Maybe with Rosen you get to 6-10/7-9 this year and then a 10-6 season with more help for him but that is his limit. Whereas with Murray even if you suffer one growing year if his potential is far greater after for many consistent 10-12 win seasons you go that route everytime.

If and maybe are very convincing 

4 hours ago, D521646 said:

I was thinking about this today, and was wondering why I haven't heard any buzz about the Cardinals possibly trading the No 1 overall, and running with Rosen, and taking a QB later in the first or maybe even next year.

So I ask, if your the GM of Arizona, would you trade out of the number one overall, stick with Rosen for at least another year, and scoop up all these draft picks to put weapons around Josh?  Is one season enough to judge Rosen?  Granted he was garbage last year, but how much of that was his OL, offensive weapons, and defense?  I though TSW was pretty consensus on the idea that you can't judge accurately how a QB will be with just one year to his resume?  Look at Goff, as an example.

I personally think the Cards are making a potentially huge mistake in letting Rosen walk after just one year.  Oh, and before anyone says anything.  No, I was a Josh Allen guy all the way, never waivered, except that one time in band camp, when I fell in love with Mayfield for a brief, but in a weakened state of mind. ;)

Thoughts?

Tim-

Rosen may well turn out to be a very good QB. however, he is not well suited to run the type of offense that Kingsbury wants to run. Kingsbury's offense is predicated around after the snap actions/reactions whereas Rosen is better suited for pre-snap reads and is thought that he would not do well in situations where he would need to make decisions on the fly.

4 hours ago, D521646 said:

I was thinking about this today, and was wondering why I haven't heard any buzz about the Cardinals possibly trading the No 1 overall, and running with Rosen, and taking a QB later in the first or maybe even next year.

So I ask, if your the GM of Arizona, would you trade out of the number one overall, stick with Rosen for at least another year, and scoop up all these draft picks to put weapons around Josh?  Is one season enough to judge Rosen?  Granted he was garbage last year, but how much of that was his OL, offensive weapons, and defense?  I though TSW was pretty consensus on the idea that you can't judge accurately how a QB will be with just one year to his resume?  Look at Goff, as an example.

I personally think the Cards are making a potentially huge mistake in letting Rosen walk after just one year.  Oh, and before anyone says anything.  No, I was a Josh Allen guy all the way, never waivered, except that one time in band camp, when I fell in love with Mayfield for a brief, but in a weakened state of mind. ;)

Thoughts?

Tim-

Man, people thought/think Buffalo is bad.... Look at Arizona's braintrust...

1) Hired a terrible coach that couldn't win at Texas Tech.

2) Drafted a headcase in Rosen last year.

3) Going to waste the #1 pick in the draft on another QB (Murray).

4) Going to MAYBE get a 2nd round pick for Rosen after 1 year.

5) Murray is going to be a BUST! :lol:

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

could rotate them on and off each series or play as with Meredith and Morton and Staubach

Or let them battle it out like Aikman and Walsh. Aikman won Walsh was traded to the Saints for a first, second and third round pick.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Trade value goes down when you are publicly shopping someone...

a second for a QB who played below average last year says somebody really likes him...

If the highest was a 5th , that be bad

3 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Draft Murray, keep Rosen and choose your savior after 10 months

This is probably the best thing to do because Rosen's value right now is terrible.

Give him the preseason to raise his stock as a backup and then trade him when a team really needs a QB.