What's the better strategy for the Cardinals?

D521646

I was thinking about this today, and was wondering why I haven't heard any buzz about the Cardinals possibly trading the No 1 overall, and running with Rosen, and taking a QB later in the first or maybe even next year.

So I ask, if your the GM of Arizona, would you trade out of the number one overall, stick with Rosen for at least another year, and scoop up all these draft picks to put weapons around Josh?  Is one season enough to judge Rosen?  Granted he was garbage last year, but how much of that was his OL, offensive weapons, and defense?  I though TSW was pretty consensus on the idea that you can't judge accurately how a QB will be with just one year to his resume?  Look at Goff, as an example.

I personally think the Cards are making a potentially huge mistake in letting Rosen walk after just one year.  Oh, and before anyone says anything.  No, I was a Josh Allen guy all the way, never waivered, except that one time in band camp, when I fell in love with Mayfield for a brief, but in a weakened state of mind. ;)

Thoughts?

Tim-

The strategy is to get it right at QB, no matter the cost. If they think its Murray, then losing Rosen for pennies on the dollar is the least of their concerns.

Decide who your guy is, then optimize the situation thereafter.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, MTLBills said:

The strategy is to get it right at QB, no matter the cost. If they think its Murray, then losing Rosen for pennies on the dollar is the least of their concerns.

Agreed. They want Murray to be their franchise QB, why would they not take him?

I think given the stage of their team it’s a mistake. Had all this craziness about Murray not been in the news non stop Arizona probably could of traded out of 1, got extra picks and stayed in the top 5 and still get Murray. I’m not sure many teams want him and would mortgage the future draft picks to move up so high. They have sooooooo many needs I would HATE to be a fan of that team. 

Murray had better be a top 5 quarterback before his rookie deal ends or they’re probably in for a very very long rebuild 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Just Joshin' said:

If you think Rosen is a bust, move on.

If you think Murray will be a superstar, draft him.

If you think Rosen and Murray are equal, build around Rosen.

If you think Kliff can't work with Rosen, you hired the wrong coach.

Extrapolating the bolded above -- basically, the Cards need to evaluate what they believe to be the realistic potential (floor and ceiling) for both QBs.  If the evaluation is relatively close, the smart move is to trade out of #1 and acquire talent to build around Rosen.  You draft Murray if you believe his ceiling far surpasses Rosen's and/or if Kingsbury tells you Murray is a much better fit for his offense.

• Like (+1) 1

All depends on the HC and what he wants from his QB.  If he NEEDS mobility, trade Rosen.  If he doesn’t need mobility, I’d keep Rosen and try and trade down to 2-4 if it’s possible 

13 minutes ago, MTLBills said:

Exactly. Maybe with Rosen you get to 6-10/7-9 this year and then a 10-6 season with more help for him but that is his limit. Whereas with Murray even if you suffer one growing year if his potential is far greater after for many consistent 10-12 win seasons you go that route everytime.

28 minutes ago, D521646 said:

I was thinking about this today, and was wondering why I haven't heard any buzz about the Cardinals possibly trading the No 1 overall, and running with Rosen, and taking a QB later in the first or maybe even next year.

So I ask, if your the GM of Arizona, would you trade out of the number one overall, stick with Rosen for at least another year, and scoop up all these draft picks to put weapons around Josh?  Is one season enough to judge Rosen?  Granted he was garbage last year, but how much of that was his OL, offensive weapons, and defense?  I though TSW was pretty consensus on the idea that you can't judge accurately how a QB will be with just one year to his resume?  Look at Goff, as an example.

I personally think the Cards are making a potentially huge mistake in letting Rosen walk after just one year.  Oh, and before anyone says anything.  No, I was a Josh Allen guy all the way, never waivered, except that one time in band camp, when I fell in love with Mayfield for a brief, but in a weakened state of mind. ;)

Thoughts?

Tim-

This is the Cardinals... The HC is going to give his players social media breaks every 20 minutes. Of course they should trade out, stockpile picks, and build up the O and D lines. Rosen didn't have a prayer last year. Oh yeah, Murray will be a bust...

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Cardinals seem to be really into Kliff Kingsbury and I think that's the risky gamble.  They are letting him decide the only #1 draft pick they've ever had in franchise history without coaching a game yet.  He could be a terrible coach.  They have no idea.  Wouldn't be the first time the NFL ate a decently successful college coach for lunch.

Oh, and he happens to want a quarterback who is an exceptionally risky pick at #1 too.  It's either going to look like the shrewdest front office of the last 20 years or the worst.  There's no middle ground.  

7 minutes ago, dpberr said:

The Cardinals seem to be really into Kliff Kingsbury and I think that's the risky gamble.  They are letting him decide the only #1 draft pick they've ever had in franchise history without coaching a game yet.  He could be a terrible coach.  They have no idea.  Wouldn't be the first time the NFL ate a decently successful college coach for lunch.

Oh, and he happens to want a quarterback who is an exceptionally risky pick at #1 too.  It's either going to look like the shrewdest front office of the last 20 years or the worst.  There's no middle ground.  

I mean in a way what their doing is probably what you should do which is give the coach the player he wants and the dexterity to do so. Your putting your eggs in one basket hoping for the best which in prism seems like a good idea given how the NFL goes. But when you expand and see how much draft capital was wasted for Rosen that will not be recouped including the previous HC you just fired it seems really risky. These are the kind of moves that have a chance at big success but very likely can destroy the foundation of a team if things are not put in place proper.

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

trade Rosen to NE*   

you just know the Pats will bring in a Steve Young/Aaron Rodgers type to replace the HOF great in his last days....

46 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

If you think Rosen is a bust, move on.

If you think Murray will be a superstar, draft him.

If you think Rosen and Murray are equal, build around Rosen.

My thoughts exactly. 

One thing that can be concluded about Rosen: No GM without a QB who they believe is a long term franchise QB thinks Rosen will ever be a franchise QB.  At best, Rosen is viewed as no more than adequate.  Obviously Arizona doesn't view Rosen as a potential franchise QB, which is why they are considering drafting Murray.  This is similar to the way the Bills viewed Tyrod Taylor-JAG who will never be a franchise QB.  If anyone with a QB need thought of Rosen as a franchise QB, they would have offered Arizona a #1 pick.  So far, according to rumors, the best offer is a #2.  

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, ricko1112 said:

This is the Cardinals... The HC is going to give his players social media breaks every 20 minutes. Of course they should trade out, stockpile picks, and build up the O and D lines. Rosen didn't have a prayer last year. Oh yeah, Murray will be a bust...

What if nobody wants to trade up to #1 who has the draft capital to do so?  The top of the draft is loaded with top D players who are all rated pretty equally.  Why would a team anywhere near the top want to make a trade up when they can get a player just as good as the one they can get at their spot?  If a team further down wants to get to the top, it would be too cost prohibitive to do so.  So this just isn't a reply to you, it's a reply to everyone who thinks Arizona can just snap their fingers & find a trade partner who will give them a haul for the top pick-easier said than done.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Just Joshin' said:

If they wanted a QB whisperer, they should have gone ahead snd hired the real Mike Leach, not Kingsbury...

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/01/29/usc-graham-harrell-mike-leach-coaching-tree

Edited by The Senator

19 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

My thoughts exactly. 

One thing that can be concluded about Rosen: No GM without a QB who they believe is a long term franchise QB thinks Rosen will ever be a franchise QB.  At best, Rosen is viewed as no more than adequate.  Obviously Arizona doesn't view Rosen as a potential franchise QB, which is why they are considering drafting Murray.  This is similar to the way the Bills viewed Tyrod Taylor-JAG who will never be a franchise QB.  If anyone with a QB need thought of Rosen as a franchise QB, they would have offered Arizona a #1 pick.  So far, according to rumors, the best offer is a #2.  

To my knowledge, there is no evidence to support the bolded statement.  What am I missing?  Are you saying this because no one has traded for Rosen so far?  Are you privy to ongoing negotiations between the Cardinals and other NFL teams?