Ranking AFC Playoff Hopefuls P1

Just now, corta765 said:

Exactly. Also remember it has to be remember SOS. The Bills and Jets are like 2nd and 3rd in the league. That stuff does matter because we have seen what happens when a team gets a soft schedule with an improving roster. HOU/IND/PIT all have significantly tougher schedules then what BUF/NY faces. If we were just going rosters alone I absolutely would have those three ahead, but this is just strictly playoff chances.

Yea it looks at this stage like a really good year for the AFC schedule wise. I think both the Bills and the Jets are very real playoff contenders if their QBs take a step forward (I expect both to).

As long as Marsha breathes, NE is still the cream of the AFC. I can see KC taking a step back with Hunt gone and Hill under investigation. I have Indy as the #3 team considering how well Luck came back. At #4 I have a 2 team battle for the North between Pittsburgh & Cleveland. And the WC contenders would be Houston, LAC, & Buffalo.  We'll know a lot more after the draft and preseason. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, billykay said:

The Ravens are always in the hunt, because they have stability & an excellent head coach.

They lost a ton of talent on defense which has been their hallmark, their skill position players are incredibly weak minus TE, and their QB (who I do like) is going to be asked/forced to pass more something he did not excel at. They have a solid program but they have legitimate questions and look a decisive 3rd in that division.

4 hours ago, corta765 said:

I thought about that but HOU and IND will canabolize each other for wins and each have enough flaws that their QBs cannot completely mask. PIT missed the playoffs last year, Big Ben is a year older, the team shed some big names, and the defense has been regressing for years in a division which has a new talented bully. I think people live off PIT's laurels farr to much to what the reality is. Their closer to being a team like Atlanta which defense pulls the offense down most years then a true dominant juggernaut like in the past.

your spot-on about PITT.  PITT's D-Coordinator is awful, and they have missed on quite a few picks there.  Also, they need a backup for RB Connor who can play and entire game, and have giant ??'s at WR after JuJu.  I would not be surprised if PIT won 5 or 13 games.   So I think you have them in the right place.   

I would have Indy in the "In" category because  Indy will solve defense in the draft and win its division. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

Exactly. Also remember SOS matters big time. The Bills and Jets are like 2nd and 3rd in the league. That stuff does matter because we have seen what happens when a team gets a soft schedule with an improving roster. HOU/IND/PIT all have significantly tougher schedules then what BUF/NY faces. If we were just going rosters alone I absolutely would have those three ahead, but this is just strictly playoff chances.

I don't know the Jets schedule, but I don't think the Bills schedule looks any easier than last year's. At the end of the day, I think the playoffs are only within reach if Allen takes a major step forwards (which is absolutely possible but not something I'm willing to count on).

Edited by DCOrange

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea it looks at this stage like a really good year for the AFC schedule wise. I think both the Bills and the Jets are very real playoff contenders if their QBs take a step forward (I expect both to).

It would be amazing to send 3 AFC East teams to the playoffs. That would definitely peak national interest.

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

It would be amazing to send 3 AFC East teams to the playoffs. That would definitely peak national interest.

I have said 3 team race for AFCE beyond Thanksgiving. I'm sticking to that. Still think Pats end up in 1st but I think there will be 3 genuine chances going into Thanksgiving.  

What AFC division is most likely to feast from the weakest NFC matchup this year, kind of handing a 4-0 to all teams in the AFC division and a good jump on the WC spots?

Edited by row_33

23 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I don't know the Jets schedule, but I don't think the Bills schedule looks any easier than last year's. At the end of the day, I think the playoffs are only within reach if Allen takes a major step forwards (which is absolutely possible but not something I'm willing to count on).

I definitely do think it looks easier. I think there are four games against three teams I expect to be drafting in the top 5 next year - Miami x2, Cincy and NYG. 

After that Washington, Baltimore, Tennessee and Pittsburgh are all in some form of transition.  Denver I still don't think are good, Dallas are a tough team but not unbeatable. 

If they can win 7 or 8 of those 10 they will need 2 or 3 from Jets x2, Patriots x2, Eagles and Cleveland. I think this is the most favourable Bills schedule in a number of years. Fingers crossed they make it count.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

your spot-on about PITT.  PITT's D-Coordinator is awful, and they have missed on quite a few picks there.  Also, they need a backup for RB Connor who can play and entire game, and have giant ??'s at WR after JuJu.  I would not be surprised if PIT won 5 or 13 games.   So I think you have them in the right place.   

I would have Indy in the "In" category because  Indy will solve defense in the draft and win its division. 

Yea INDY I would say would be my division pick I just wished they added more impact on offense.

47 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Agreed. Just saying strength of schedule does play a role because Buffalo, NYJ, & NE will basically have two very very winnable games with Miami which other teams do not get and if you have more games less competitive it can allow you to inflate your record a bit.

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I definitely do think it looks easier. I think there are four games against three teams I expect to be drafting in the top 5 next year - Miami x2, Cincy and NYG. 

After that Washington, Baltimore, Tennessee and Pittsburgh are all in some form of transition.  Denver I still don't think are good, Dallas are a tough team but not unbeatable. 

If they can win 7 or 8 of those 10 they will need 2 or 3 from Jets x2, Patriots x2, Eagles and Cleveland. I think this is the most favourable Bills schedule in a number of years. Fingers crossed they make it count.

Just comparing to last year, the games that are different are:

Last year:

Chargers - good

Vikings - meh

Packers - meh

Texans - meh

Colts - good

Bears - good

Jaguars - bad

Lions - bad

This year:

Giants - bad

Cowboys - good

Redskins - bad

Eagles - good

Browns - good

Steelers - good

Bengals - bad

Broncos - meh

I think one of the Giants/Bengals will end up being more competitive than people expect, but either way, I think this year's slate is at least on par with last year's, if not more difficult. Jets should obviously be improved as well (while the Dolphins should be worse).

Last year's schedule looked more difficult when it came out than this year's does, but the Jags, Vikings, and Packers were all pretty big disappointments. That could obviously happen this year too, but for now at least, I think this year's slate looks to be on par or stronger.

Edited by DCOrange

16 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

I'm sure it's a great analysis but I just can't get over the unnecessary apostrophe in "Hopeful's".  

Great, now that is probably in my autocorrect...

edited!

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Strong playoffs - Cleveland Browns

Really?  I dont care who they have drafted or gotten in free agence....they ARE STILL the Browns

The Browns are somehow the favourite of fans who think sugar plum fairy whim wishes are so important that everyone should have to listen and agree with them... :(

56 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm hoping that they're competitive in every game.  You're going to lose games to teams you should beat (especially with a young QB), but I'd love to take at least one from NE, Philly, Pitt, or Cleveland.