I'd like a reasonable to above average LB corps

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

QBs "THROW"?

I like it.

My none NFL supporting mate calls offensive linemen "PUSHERS". I think we are onto something.

My off the boat Irish buddy loves the old "why do they call it football, it should be called throwball".  I  then tell him soccer should be called kickball. Ugliness always ensues. 

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

The NFL is trying to kill defense, and of course QB is the #1 position, but try to tell me there is any CB, EDGE... whatever the hell that is, DT, OT, WR(Maybe Jerry Rice excepted, maybe), Safety, TE, Guard or Punter, who changes the game for an entire team the way a truly dominant MLB does.  

LB's are the football players out there- the men amongst boys, if you will.  They keep the  prima donnas in check, the DT's in check.  MLB's aren't the answer to everything on defense, but they're the ones I want setting the tone.  

Outside of great roles played by great players, Bruce, Deion, Reggie, the truly intimidating defenses have been anchored by the linebackers.  

Try it in your head without looking... list the great DL, LB's and DB's, then write them down.  $42.76 on the LB's.  

The new replay rules are going to change things a bit I think?

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

The NFL is trying to kill defense, and of course QB is the #1 position, but try to tell me there is any CB, EDGE... whatever the hell that is, DT, OT, WR(Maybe Jerry Rice excepted, maybe), Safety, TE, Guard or Punter, who changes the game for an entire team the way a truly dominant MLB does.  

LB's are the football players out there- the men amongst boys, if you will.  They keep the  prima donnas in check, the DT's in check.  MLB's aren't the answer to everything on defense, but they're the ones I want setting the tone.  

Outside of great roles played by great players, Bruce, Deion, Reggie, the truly intimidating defenses have been anchored by the linebackers.  

Try it in your head without looking... list the great DL, LB's and DB's, then write them down.  $42.76 on the LB's.  

The last truly superior LB who fits the profile you say was probably Ray Lewis.

Luke Kuechly is probably the best in today's NFL, but I would hardly describe him as someone who dominates like the old days.

Like it or not, the NFL is changing. 

The traditional running game is a complimentary piece to offenses now.  Not a primary method of attack. 

And because of that, defenses must adapt. 

The big and powerful MLB who blows through linemen with ease, then stuffs runners in the hole... he's becoming a dinosaur.

Teams need guys who can sprint from sideline to sideline, cover RBs and TEs in the passing game, chase down scrambling QBs, etc.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Jpsredemption said:

It’ll take a ton of improvement for Edmunds to be dominant. Overlooked was a very average to below average rookie season on his end. He got a free pass with so much of the focus on offense but he needs to step up.

I think you need to understand what you are watching and the scheme better.

Somewhere up thread someone said that Edmunds wasn't great and his lack of production was overshadowed by the piss-poor Offense. I disagree. Edmunds showed real Rookie issues in the first half of the season. But just as fairly, he also showed tremendous improvement in his second half of the season. Let's take a look at his stats:

First 8 games: Tackles: 62 - Sacks: 1 - Pass Defended: 7 - Forced Fumbles: 2 - INTs: 0

Last 7 games: Tackles: 59 - Sacks: 1 - Pass Defended: 5 - Forced Fumbles: 0 - INTs: 2

(Didn't play against Chicago)

To take that a step further in his last 4 games, he really started to jump off the screen with development:

Tackles: 39 - Sacks: 1 - Pass Defended: 3 Forced Fumbles: (Still 0 obviously) - INTs: 2

Looking at his production that way, he started out a little hot, then cooled, then slowly went up for a few games and then shot up at the end of the year, where you want your 1st and 2nd year guys to show the best improvement. 

Does he need to grow / mature into a better LB? Yes, of course he does. Was he so bad that I think he needs to make a Herculean leap to be great? No, IMO he does not. To that end, IF and it's a big IF, he continues to develop at the year's end trajectory, his second year should be quite good and probably his second half of this year we'll see what Beane and McD saw when they drafted him: a STUD LB that can anchor the Defense for years to come.

Dear god, i like football.  Because i like football, I want a very good middle linebacker

I also don't care if our young gun gets kicked to the outside, I want a good MLB

call me fm stupid

4 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Somewhere up thread someone said that Edmunds wasn't great and his lack of production was overshadowed by the piss-poor Offense. I disagree. Edmunds showed real Rookie issues in the first half of the season. But just as fairly, he also showed tremendous improvement in his second half of the season. Let's take a look at his stats:

First 8 games: Tackles: 62 - Sacks: 1 - Pass Defended: 7 - Forced Fumbles: 2 - INTs: 0

Last 7 games: Tackles: 59 - Sacks: 1 - Pass Defended: 5 - Forced Fumbles: 0 - INTs: 2

(Didn't play against Chicago)

To take that a step further in his last 4 games, he really started to jump off the screen with development:

Tackles: 39 - Sacks: 1 - Pass Defended: 3 Forced Fumbles: (Still 0 obviously) - INTs: 2

Looking at his production that way, he started out a little hot, then cooled, then slowly went up for a few games and then shot up at the end of the year, where you want your 1st and 2nd year guys to show the best improvement. 

Does he need to grow / mature into a better LB? Yes, of course he does. Was he so bad that I think he needs to make a Herculean leap to be great? No, IMO he does not. To that end, IF and it's a big IF, he continues to develop at the year's end trajectory, his second year should be quite good and probably his second half of this year we'll see what Beane and McD saw when they drafted him: a STUD LB that can anchor the Defense for years to come.

I like him well enough, but I don't need no stinkin' badgers

41 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Yes, I think many children will be born in the glory of those rules and others?

Yep- they wont know any better. Evolution at its finest!

41 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Wish granted. Lb Corp in today’s game is two guys much of the time in a 4-3 base nickel package.

Tre and Milano are reasonably good. 

~250 tackles 12 turnovers between them. Both under 25. 

Milano was having a monster season- lets hope more of the same