Sports Bars in Buffalo/Amherst

Shaw66

Either Murray's on Delaware Avenue or Swannie House just down the street from the Arena ! If you go to Murray's then go to Kelly's Corner for the best roast beef on weck  roll or their incredible wings ! Kelly's Corner is about 3-4 blocks north of Murray's on the other side of street ! Swannie House is a Irish bar that's over 100 years old ,and they treat you great in there ! They always have Red Sox games on ! Great bar before or after any events at the Arena !

• Like (+1) 1

The Irishmen on Main St in Williamsville got some of my dollars last year. Lots of TV’s, indoors and out. Seemed like a newer place and I’d do it again. I think he’d like that joint. 

34 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Well is he in Buffalo or Amherst like 20 minutes apart 

Turns out he's in Amherst on Main Street right at Exit 50.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.   I'll pass them on.   And special thanks to the Senator.   I was going to tell my friend to do the search himself.  Thanks.

By the way, you aren't helping just some Red Sox friend.  He's a football Giants fan, he lives in Cleveland, but he goes to only one NFL game each year, with me on the road somewhere to see the Bills.   So he's kind of a closet Bills fan.   On the other hand, HIS friend who's coming for the Frozen Four is a Patriots fan, through and through.  Oh, well.

Thanks again for your suggestions.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mrags said:

Assuming he’s staying at the Marriot. Or at least in that area. 

Theres now an Anchor Bar on Maple and Sweet Home Rd. 

Is that the old Duffs?

14 minutes ago, holmz56 said:

Either Murray's on Delaware Avenue or Swannie House just down the street from the Arena ! If you go to Murray's then go to Kelly's Corner for the best roast beef on weck  roll or their incredible wings ! Kelly's Corner is about 3-4 blocks north of Murray's on the other side of street ! Swannie House is a Irish bar that's over 100 years old ,and they treat you great in there ! They always have Red Sox games on ! Great bar before or after any events at the Arena !

I love Swannie House!  Who doesn’t?  It’s a Buffalo classic.

Only problem, it’s sure to be jam packed during any NCAA event, and on any Friday night during Lent (fish fry nite).  It’ll be near impossible to get a table or a seat at the bar.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I was there for home opener weekend last year. Had a few beers with a guy hoping to get updates on the current local scene, where to go drink and eat, etc. Nice guy......who just moved there from Houston the week before. What are the odds? He moved TO Buffalo. 

It seems you are thread lost. Your phone may have an app for that. 

Seriously though, it’s weird moving to a new city in your 50’s.  We usually met people through our kids schools/sports and work or church. Kids are passed that, and I’m not working any more. In a giant city, the people I did meet while working are almost an hour away. It’s a weird deal. But I have my Golden Retriever at my feet!  Man’s best friend! 

Houston to Buffalo is not a normal move- once you get use tp heat getting acclimated to cold is hard. 

2 hours ago, mrags said:

I’m sure he can nurse a couple beers. I’ve only been to that location once. They’ll probably have it on 

the other option is Buffaloes wild Wings on Niagara Falls Blvd. again, assuming he’ll be saying at the Marriot or near that area, it’ll be about a 5min drive to BWs. Almost guarantee to have the game on. They have like 60tvs throughout the restaurant. Can always ask one of the servers or bartenders to change a channel too. 

But Wild Wings isn’t gonna give you any nice Buffalo feel/food experience. 

BLASPHEMER!!!

Amherst Ale House has great Buffalo food if that is an objective.

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I have a friend going to Buffalo for the Frozen Four.  He's looking a sports bar to watch the Red Sox on Friday night. Any suggestions? Thanks. 

He has to go to Murray's instead of BWW  or Tulley's. No kids running around and not a lot noise. Some members have mentioned places that do not have the MLB package.(Mets/Yankees and Indians) are the only teams televised here without the extra charge.

41 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

BLASPHEMER!!!

Amherst Ale House has great Buffalo food if that is an objective.

It’s also not even remotely close to the area that I assumed he would be in. If he’s at the Marriot or one of the hotels in Flint, he could walk to Anchor Bar. 

11 hours ago, jkx2 said:

Brennan's Bowery Bar in the Transit town plaza. Solid Buffalo food with good beer and atmosphere. 

I love Brennan's and spent way too many evenings or early AM at this establishment as a "yout" ... I'd go on Friday for the fish fry alone ... but its not the best for watching games ... I was there for the last home game and swear one of the TVs looked like it was on an antenna feed (black and white)  .. head to Santoras for a more sports bar feel

9 hours ago, The Senator said:

I love Swannie House!  Who doesn’t?  It’s a Buffalo classic.

Only problem, it’s sure to be jam packed during any NCAA event, and on any Friday night during Lent (fish fry nite).  It’ll be near impossible to get a table or a seat at the bar.

Interesting observation: while Buffalo Catholics seem to gravitate toward fish fry for Lent, here it seems to be pizza. Pizzarias are packed on Fridays during Lent.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Shaw66 said:
14 hours ago, mrags said:

Theres now an Anchor Bar on Maple and Sweet Home Rd.  

Are they likely to have the Sox on, and do they care if you hang out for 3 hours nursing a couple of beers? 

They're pretty good about putting up the channels people ask for. The Q is whether their package will have the channel you want. (they have Verizon FIOS, lookup the channel number before you go)

Order Wings and you could prolly hangout all night. They aren't the very best, but certainly top-10.