Is Quinnen Williams the next Dareus?

5 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Well, I adore Hockenson. I think he is a superb TE. One of the best I've seen since following the draft. There's a chance he goes before 9. He is likely a 1,000 yard guy.

That all may be true, and I like Hock too, but this team is still too devoid of talent to use a top-10 pick on at TE that's not an obvious Lebron James type player. Especially in a draft when 3rd and 4th rd TEs will be starters in the league -- the delta between Hock and, say, Warring or Oliver doesn't warrant that kind of overspend, in my opinion. 

23 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Is there any reason whatsoever to think Q. Williams will be a monster on his rookie deal, get a big money contract poorly structured with regard to personal conduct, then struggle due to a combination of family tragedy, immaturity, and an unfavorable scheme resulting in him being traded for peanuts?

So, we can put you down as a "no?"

32 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Is there any reason whatsoever to think Q. Williams will be a monster on his rookie deal, get a big money contract poorly structured with regard to personal conduct, then struggle due to a combination of family tragedy, immaturity, and an unfavorable scheme resulting in him being traded for peanuts?

Dude, he gave the reason in his post, can you not read?  Both of them played defensive tackle at Alabama and are projected to go top-five.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think the Bills should think long and hard about taking a player who shows inconsistent effort in the college game.

It's why as a fan, I'm not enamored with Gary, Oliver or Quinnen Wiliams.   None of these guys strike me as having that James Harrison or Terell Owens mindset.  

17 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I think the Bills should think long and hard about taking a player who shows inconsistent effort in the college game.

It's why as a fan, I'm not enamored with Gary, Oliver or Quinnen Wiliams.   None of these guys strike me as having that James Harrison or Terell Owens mindset.  

I literally saw nothing but amazing effort from Oliver on tape.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I literally saw nothing but amazing effort from Oliver on tape.

Yeah I don't get why some ppl are questioning his motivation.  Saw nothing like that.  He got into an argument W his coach over a stupid jacket.  What else is there?

• Like (+1) 2

I personally believe Ed Oliver is this years Dareus.  Super talented, but mentally a selfish cancer.  He 'injured' his knee, but milked it and sat out during the season.  Then the on-field argument with his coach, looked really really bad.  Then he sat out his bowl game to avoid injury.  

One of those things is excusable.  All 3 show a trend.  I'd stay away from Oliver myself, and I wouldn't doubt other teams have him off their boards because of it.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

You are correct.

You are indeed in the minority.  

?

Quit pickin’ on the lil feller..?

Dareus was an absolute stud, earning PB births routinely. He just couldn’t get his act together.

To the OP, I have ‘Bama fear’ as well -whole greater than the sum. I’d prefer DT over Edge, but mostly, I don’t want to lose our 2nd & 3rd rounders for a move up. 

Dammit, Josh! Why’d ya have to go and blow Miami off the field in the finale? 6 would have been so nice..??

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

Quit pickin’ on the lil feller..?

Dareus was an absolute stud, earning PB births routinely. He just couldn’t get his act together.

To the OP, I have ‘Bama fear’ as well -whole greater than the sum. I’d prefer DT over Edge, but mostly, I don’t want to lose our 2nd & 3rd rounders for a move up. 

Dammit, Josh! Why’d ya have to go and blow Miami off the field in the finale? 6 would have been so nice..??

I think he had HOF ability, if only he could get it together...... Sad, but at least he’s stinkin’ rich! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Toesy said:

Another thing is that Dareus had serious weight problems-at one point he had a giant gut and looked to be over 350 for sure (way over his listed weight)-he lost agility and speed naturally because of this. People forget that these college players are very young guys and some of them have way out of whack metabolisms which naturally get worse as they get older-even while working out like crazy they are always close to becoming really fat almost overnight.    

Dude...this is what happens at like 35 or 40...not when you go from 21 to 24. Mostly linked to natural testosterone decline.

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I'm terrified that this has already been discussed.  

A few years ago, we had the third pick in the draft, and selected Marcel Dareus.  Here are the other players chosen at the top of that round:  Cam Newton, Von Miller, AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, Julio Jones.  JJ Watt was drafted #11.  

Dareus was a monster talent with an inconsistent effort.  Dareus was handed a 100 million dollar contract, and a couple years later was traded.  Never lived up to his draft position or his contract.  

He went to Alabama, surrounded by 5 star talent.  Same as Q. Williams.  Sometimes I think the backups at Alabama turn out better than the starters.  We have 2 of them.  Levi Wallace and Robert Foster.

Alabama is the Duke/Kentucky of football.  The bench players would become stars at Missouri or Arkansas or Boston College.  

I guess this is two threads.  Although Q. Williams may seem to be the most dominant DL in the draft, because he is from Alabama he might not be all that.  Reminds me of Reggie Ragland and Shaq Lawson.....stars at top programs and not stars in pro football.

Give me Ed Oliver, Josh Allen, or Montez Sweat.  

Actually, Dareus was pretty good early on.  He was a Pro Bowler in 2014 and an All Pro in 2015, so he was as good as advertised.  Then something went wrong.  Maybe it was his big contract but my guess is that it probably was something in his personal life.  In the end, pro football players are people, and just like accountants and truck drivers and school teachers, the stuff that goes on in their families or in their heads can easily derail their careers.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Thank God you aren’t the GM

he is the most complete player in the draft top to bottom

i would have a stiffy if he was on the board when the Bills picked 

Just posing a question.  Like everybody else in here.  Thanks for sharing about your sex life.

• Haha (+1) 1

Ultimately it is totally up to Mcbeane, probably more McDermott, to find out what kind of attitude and work ethic these prospects have. QW is dominate,now! Have to admit my thoughts did go to Dareus! But that’s not really fair to QW.

I feel like we are comparing a wide variety of vastly different players.   Dareus is a more compact player which gave him the ability to play in two gap schemes, but he was also athletic enough to play one gap.   However, he probably isn't ever going to give you the ability to use him in a 3-4 as a 3 tech.  

From the tape I watched on Williams he was  asked to get up the field a lot, he did take on double teams but he wasnt a traditional 2 gap space eater by any means.   He has scheme versatility in the fact he can probably play 3 tech in a 3-4 defense, or play inside in a one gap 4-3 scheme.  I think Dareus is a bad comparison, feel like Muhammed Wilkerson is probably more accurate.    He has amazing hands, just incredible to watch how effortless it is for him to shed blocks without allowing the guards and centers to get into his body.   But he can be inconsistent, watch the Georgia game where their big dogs ate his lunch.  That game made me a big fan of Georgia's center Lamont Gaillard.

Oliver is a different sort of player altogether.  The numbers may not be there, but he played everywhere on that defense.   Despite his size Houston used him as 1 tech to eat up blockers which he did effectively.  They used him inside as a 3 tech.    They even used him as a edge rusher.   That is why he is so unique.   He can effectively play any position in your front seven given the need, and yes he also dropped as an outside linebacker on some plays.   He can get overwhelmed physically when he doesn't use proper leverage, but when you talk about scheme versatility he is about as good as it gets in this draft.    I wonder what his production would look like in a scheme where he is allowed to play 3 tech on 1st/2nd down, and then moved to edge on obvious passing downs.  His get off is about as good as it gets. 

19 hours ago, peterpan said:

I personally believe Ed Oliver is this years Dareus.  Super talented, but mentally a selfish cancer.  He 'injured' his knee, but milked it and sat out during the season.  Then the on-field argument with his coach, looked really really bad.  Then he sat out his bowl game to avoid injury.  

One of those things is excusable.  All 3 show a trend.  I'd stay away from Oliver myself, and I wouldn't doubt other teams have him off their boards because of it.  

If it were me, I would have done the same thing. You are already locked into top 10 in the NFL draft, why risk injury and falling out of the first round? That is potentially millions to play for a Houston team for nothing but a bowl ring. I would have taken it a step further and just withdrawn from school Ala Bosa. Say I am tending to my injury and making sure I’m 100% for the combine. The argument with the coach, I feel the coach is more at fault than Oliver. Does that team really not have enough money to afford field jackets for everyone? If it is cold why would Oliver want to stand there and remain cold when there is a jacket within reach. IMO all three of these are completely excuseable and justifiable. I still want Oliver at 9. I just fear he will not make it that far.