Here is a different twist about drafting QB's frequently

The gist is that teams should draft a high QB even when they have a good one/franchise type.   Not only does this give a backup and safety net for the present starter, but also does the following, I think.  You keep the newbie for a few years and he becomes somebody who has learned the NFL game and has increased in value.  You then can trade him off for a good draft pick return and get a great return on your investment.   That doesn't make sense for the Bills right now but I wonder if a reason for having Anderson and Barkey on the roster might be for their value for a mid-season trade to a team that had a QB injury?

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/4/3/18293446/arizona-cardinals-revolutionize-nfl-draft-josh-rosen-kyler-murray

Favre was a top QB when the Packers drafted Rodgers-so Rodgers was on the bench. The top QB you want to draft isn't going to magically materialize just because you need him this year-so yes better to have two good ones than zero.

I don’t see any team trading for Barkley or Anderson. There are much, much better options out there. They are here because they are competent players and raise the floor in the event of an Allen injury. They also help in his development.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 4

Belichuck drafted Garrappolo years ago and the guy can play-the plan was for him to be the starter by now but Kraft overruled the coach-which is why he is in SF.

Edited by Toesy
  • Like (+1) 1

I think Barkley is the true back up Anderson was going to be basically Allen's QB coach until they hired Dorsey & now he is a bonus as far as another set of eyes on the offense to help Dabol & company i guess ?

I would think they could make him a offensive assistant & free up another roster spot but McD & Dabol have a plan for him I'm guessing . But i agree & it has been proven that drafting a QB is a good thing .

Using the Pats which i know we all hate but even with the having Brady they have always drafted decent QB's just in case because you never know look how Brady came to be a #1 draft choice goes down to injury & history is made or as you pointed out a trading chip for later on down the road is in your chest of goodies I think it's always a good idea to keep a young QB on the roster ...

I don't think it makes a ton of sense for Arizona to do this. Rosen's trade value is the highest it will ever be, unless he lights the world on fire next year, and if that happened the Cards would not trade him. Right now there is a somewhat weak quarterback class and he still has some prospect shine, but he's likely to fetch just a second or third. Nowhere to go but down from here.  

I don't agree.  If you need a QB, fine, but if your have a QB you're happy with, and a decent backup, it just doesn't make sense.  You suggest drafting a QB high.  That will make it hard to recoup value by trading in the future, particularly if your starter stays healthy.  Your young backup is is going to get few opportunities to develop on the field.  He would need those opportunities to increase his value in a trade.  Young QBs usually are not going to look very good in their first few starts.  Patrick Mahomes is the exception, not the rule.  Arizona picked Josh Rosen top ten last year.  In trade buzz this year it's been suggested the most the Cards could expect in a trade is a second round pick, despite the speculation he could be better than any QB in the current draft.  Historically, QBs drafted high have a pretty hefty bust rate.  I don't think drafting one to be developed as a backup for future trade bait will change that.  To me, it makes more sense to draft players who have a higher probability of contributing.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Toesy said:

Favre was a top QB when the Packers drafted Rodgers-so Rodgers was on the bench. The top QB you want to draft isn't going to magically materialize just because you need him this year-so yes better to have two good ones than zero.

Right, but that was also getting into heir apparent time/territory.  Also, dont forget they drafted Brian Brohm shortly thereafter as well.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Toesy said:

There's a big difference between drafting a first round QB (at #24 IIRC) when your great QB is 10 or 12 years into a career and using the #1 pick in the draft to take a QB when you took a QB with the #10 pick in the previous year's draft.

1 hour ago, T master said:

I think Barkley is the true back up Anderson was going to be basically Allen's QB coach until they hired Dorsey & now he is a bonus as far as another set of eyes on the offense to help Dabol & company i guess ?

I would think they could make him a offensive assistant & free up another roster spot but McD & Dabol have a plan for him I'm guessing . But i agree & it has been proven that drafting a QB is a good thing .

Using the Pats which i know we all hate but even with the having Brady they have always drafted decent QB's just in case because you never know look how Brady came to be a #1 draft choice goes down to injury & history is made or as you pointed out a trading chip for later on down the road is in your chest of goodies I think it's always a good idea to keep a young QB on the roster ...

Actually, the Pats have not "always drafted decent QB's" ....

• 2000: starter - Drew Bledsoe   6th round pick - Tom Brady
  • 2002: starter - Tom Brady   4th round pick - Rohan Davey
  • 2003: starter - Tom Brady   6th round pick - Kliff Kingsbury
  • 2005: starter - Tom Brady  7th round pick - Matt Cassel
  • 2008: starter - Tom Brady  3rd round pick - Kevin O'Connell
  • 2009: starter - Tom Brady  UDFA - Brian Hoyer
  • 2010: starter - Tom Brady  7th round pick - Zac Robinson
  • 2011: starter - Tom Brady  3rd round pick - Ryan Mallett
  • 2014: starter - Tom Brady  2nd round pick - Jimmy Garoppollo
  • 2016: starter - Tom Brady  3rd round pick - Jacoby Brisette
  • 2018: starter - Tom Brady  7th round pick - Danny Eting

The myth of NE ' always drafting QBs well" is just that, a myth.  It's been fueled by Tom Brady coming out of nowhere in 2001 and by 1 good season by 1 of their backup QBs.   In 2008, Matt Cassel started 15 games and led NE to an 11-5 record (but not the playoffs) after Brady suffered a season ending injury in the first game of the season.   NFL GMs/owners like fans apparently have bought into the myth because they've been willing to ante up picks for NE's cast offs.  Cassell was traded for a first or second round pick after 2008 but he never was particularly good as a starter in several stops around the NFL.  Hoyer has been a bottom level starter at times.  Garoppollo and Brisette were decent backup QBs in short stints for the Pats, but Brisette is at best a backup and Garoppollo had an impressive short stint in SF as the end-of-the-season starter but was injured early on in 2018.  I think Belichick even got a pick from somebody for Ryan Mallett.   It's a good thing Belichick found Brady because that's the only QB he's hit on in NE.

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I don't think it makes a ton of sense for Arizona to do this. Rosen's trade value is the highest it will ever be, unless he lights the world on fire next year, and if that happened the Cards would not trade him. Right now there is a somewhat weak quarterback class and he still has some prospect shine, but he's likely to fetch just a second or third. Nowhere to go but down from here.  

Arizona won't get much for Rosen because by using the #1 pick on another QB the very next year, they've declared Rosen to be a bust.  Even if a team likes Rosen, they'll play hard ball, figuring that the Cards will cut him eventually.  Teams aren't going to spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on any player whose current team thinks will be a bust -- and an expensive one at that since former first round QBs have rookie salaries upwards of $5/6 million.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1

As for myself, I don't think you should do this unless either you already have an aging franchise QB and are trying to get his replacement lined up (& what goes along with that franchise QB is that you are not usually drafting in the top 15)  OR the backup guy you have is bad and you don't like the second-hand veterans that are available.   The Bills seem to be "behind door number Two" right now.

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t see any team trading for Barkley or Anderson. There are much, much better options out there. They are here because they are competent players and raise the floor in the event of an Allen injury. They also help in his development.

Correct.  Flipping a QB for a pick usually only happens when you draft that QB and can showcase some quality play from him.  Teams are probably a lot more wary of that than they used to be. Other than Garappolo who was the last backup QB that was a big success for the team that acquired him?  Favre?

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Toesy said:

Favre was like 35 when they drafted Rodgers.

Not the same as Arizona situation.

Agree with the rest of what you said though.

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

There's a big difference between drafting a first round QB (at #24 IIRC) when your great QB is 10 or 12 years into a career and using the #1 pick in the draft to take a QB when you took a QB with the #10 pick in the previous year's draft.

Actually, the Pats have not "always drafted decent QB's" ....

• 2000: starter - Drew Bledsoe   6th round pick - Tom Brady
  • 2002: starter - Tom Brady   4th round pick - Rohan Davey
  • 2003: starter - Tom Brady   6th round pick - Kliff Kingsbury
  • 2005: starter - Tom Brady  7th round pick - Matt Cassel
  • 2008: starter - Tom Brady  3rd round pick - Kevin O'Connell
  • 2009: starter - Tom Brady  UDFA - Brian Hoyer
  • 2010: starter - Tom Brady  7th round pick - Zac Robinson
  • 2011: starter - Tom Brady  3rd round pick - Ryan Mallett
  • 2014: starter - Tom Brady  2nd round pick - Jimmy Garoppollo
  • 2016: starter - Tom Brady  3rd round pick - Jacoby Brisette
  • 2018: starter - Tom Brady  7th round pick - Danny Eting

The myth of NE ' always drafting QBs well" is just that, a myth.  It's been fueled by Tom Brady coming out of nowhere in 2001 and by 1 good season by 1 of their backup QBs.   In 2008, Matt Cassel started 15 games and led NE to an 11-5 record (but not the playoffs) after Brady suffered a season ending injury in the first game of the season.   NFL GMs/owners like fans apparently have bought into the myth because they've been willing to ante up picks for NE's cast offs.  Cassell was traded for a first or second round pick after 2008 but he never was particularly good as a starter in several stops around the NFL.  Hoyer has been a bottom level starter at times.  Garoppollo and Brisette were decent backup QBs in short stints for the Pats, but Brisette is at best a backup and Garoppollo had an impressive short stint in SF as the end-of-the-season starter but was injured early on in 2018.  I think Belichick even got a pick from somebody for Ryan Mallett.   It's a good thing Belichick found Brady because that's the only QB he's hit on in NE.

Arizona won't get much for Rosen because by using the #1 pick on another QB the very next year, they've declared Rosen to be a bust.  Even if a team likes Rosen, they'll play hard ball, figuring that the Cards will cut him eventually.  Teams aren't going to spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on any player whose current team thinks will be a bust -- and an expensive one at that since former first round QBs have rookie salaries upwards of $5/6 million.

Don't forget they traded up for Rosen

No. 10: Oakland → Arizona (D). Oakland traded a first-round selection (10th) to Arizona in exchange for Arizona's first-, third-, and fifth-round selections (15th, 79th, and 152nd)

4 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

The gist is that teams should draft a high QB even when they have a good one/franchise type.   Not only does this give a backup and safety net for the present starter, but also does the following, I think.  You keep the newbie for a few years and he becomes somebody who has learned the NFL game and has increased in value.  You then can trade him off for a good draft pick return and get a great return on your investment.   That doesn't make sense for the Bills right now but I wonder if a reason for having Anderson and Barkey on the roster might be for their value for a mid-season trade to a team that had a QB injury?

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/4/3/18293446/arizona-cardinals-revolutionize-nfl-draft-josh-rosen-kyler-murray

I don't see Barkley or Anderson being traded mid-season; but, adding a QB will happen one way or another; need 4 for training camp. Anderson has to prove he can play; if the #4 guy outplays him, Bills might move on from Anderson. I dont think he will have have much trade value. As to developing a QB; Bills want to maximize production and value before a rookie deal expires.  dont want to develop a guy into an effective NFL QB and then lose him. Beane could surprise by picking a QB, but i think a more likely scenario is he signs a young  QB who has at least been exposed to the NFl and has PS eligibility.

45 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Don't forget they traded up for Rosen

No. 10: Oakland → Arizona (D). Oakland traded a first-round selection (10th) to Arizona in exchange for Arizona's first-, third-, and fifth-round selections (15th, 79th, and 152nd)

OUCH!!!  Shades of Tom Donahoe trading the Bills' 2005 first (which turned out to be #18 and could have netted them Aaron Rodgers), 2004 2nd and 2004 5th to take JP Losman ... and then trying to trade him after his miserable 2005 season. 

• Like (+1) 1