2 picks in the first seems like a given to me...

Whether Beane trades down or stays put I can see him bundling some picks to move back into the end of the first to nail his 2nd must have.   With the depth on defense in this draft there will still be huge difference makers available late first early second so it will warrant the move.  

Preference is trade back get Hock, trade up with the extra second or 3rd and get best DT/edge available.  Draft OT, LB and RB with whatever is left.  We have enough duct tape on this oline to justify grabbing your franchise tackle next year and not this year.  Just my take. 

• Like (+1) 6

I can spot the possible trade partner too.  If I'm Beane, I'm working the phone with Baltimore's Eric DeCosta.  The Ravens need the picks.  They do not have a 2nd and they are a prime trade partner to move from pick #22 in the 1st to get that extra 2nd rounder and we'd most likely have to throw in the 3rd as well.  But with 2 Fours, we could still maneuver back into the bottom of round 3.

• Like (+1) 3

Would love to see it. Unfortunately for us 7 of our 10 picks are 4th round and later. So if we are going to trade up back into the 1st they're gonna have to sweeten the pot. I understand ?'s are found in the later rounds every year but I can't see any team accepting what we have as payment. No way can we stay at 9 and trade back into the 1st without giving up future 2020 picks in the process.

20 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Would love to see it. Unfortunately for us 7 of our 10 picks are 4th round and later. So if we are going to trade up back into the 1st they're gonna have to sweeten the pot. I understand ?'s are found in the later rounds every year but I can't see any team accepting what we have as payment. No way can we stay at 9 and trade back into the 1st without giving up future 2020 picks in the process.

Hence the part about trading down from 9 to get the extra picks.

6 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Hence the part about trading down from 9 to get the extra picks.

OPs Post: Whether Beane trades down or stays put I can see him bundling some picks to move back into the end of the first to nail his 2nd must have

Yeah I understand that part. The OP does mention staying put at 9 which would obviously require more appealing assets to get back in the first. The option of trading down is the obvious one.

I also see this happening.  Two scenarios here for me:

1.  Someone the Bills want like E. Oliver or another player is there at 9.  In that case, it will take a bevy of picks to make the Bills trade down.  Likley, we pick at 9, and reenter the first to get Hock, another TE, a OL, or Edge player if one falls.   I think this is the most likely, given the talent at some position that will be available at 9. 

2.  One of the LB's named Devin is there at 9, and our preferred DL target isn't.  In that case, there are quite a few ILB needy teams behind us who get into a minor bidding war to trade up.  If none of them do, it's not impossible we take Devin White if he is there.  But I see the most likely scenario as a trade down, then taking BPA--hopefully Hock or Faint. 

Edited by RyanC883
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t know if the Bills will pick twice in the 1st (but it’s possible). I think that they pick at least 4 times by the end of day 2. I suppose that there’s even a scenario where they pick 5 guys before the end of day 2. They could (hypothetically) trade 9 to the Raiders for 24 & 27. They could then package the 2 4ths to get back into the 3rd. 

How about this?

24 - Ferrell

27 - Fant

40 - Simmons

74 - Kelvin Harmon

98 - Tytus Howard

This may be wishful thinking but a home run nonetheless. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t know if the Bills will pick twice in the 1st (but it’s possible). I think that they pick at least 4 times by the end of day 2. I suppose that there’s even a scenario where they pick 5 guys before the end of round 2. They could (hypothetically) trade 9 to the Raiders for 24 & 27. They could then package the 2 4ths to get back into the 3rd. 

How about this?

24 - Ferrell

27 - Fant

40 - Simmons

74 - Kelvin Harmon

98 - Tytus Howard

Any chance Wilkins or Burns are there at 24 and 27?

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t know if the Bills will pick twice in the 1st (but it’s possible). I think that they pick at least 4 times by the end of day 2. I suppose that there’s even a scenario where they pick 5 guys before the end of round 2. They could (hypothetically) trade 9 to the Raiders for 24 & 27. They could then package the 2 4ths to get back into the 3rd. 

How about this?

24 - Ferrell

27 - Fant

40 - Simmons

74 - Kelvin Harmon

98 - Tytus Howard

I can’t see Buffalo taking Simmons in any scenario.  They need DT help now and with his domestic violence history i just don’t see it happening.  

8 minutes ago, mrags said:

Any chance Wilkins or Burns are there at 24 and 27?

I think so. I wouldn’t say a good chance which is why I went elsewhere but either of those 2 would certainly be the pick.

8 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I can’t see Buffalo taking Simmons in any scenario.  They need DT help now and with his domestic violence history i just don’t see it happening.  

At some point the value meets the risk. Simmons may be a top 5 talent in this draft. Obviously there are a few red flags but may be worth the dice roll. There are other options as well but I’d like to see him considered at that point.

I agree that at this point the Bills need quality over quantity. That said, I don't think that necessarily means the 1st round. I think the Bills *could stay put and trade back into the 2nd round via a 3rd and 4th. AND trade back into the 3rd via a 4th and 5th. Meaning: 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, etc. 

Now, I could also think that while the Bills don't NEED quantity and DO need quality, they could just as easily trade back and pick up an extra 2nd, making that same argument that you move down but pick up an extra 2nd, without giving up your 3rd and thereby staying at the top of the 3rd round, then positioning a 4th and 5th to get back into bottom of round 3. IMHO, that's the better move that gives you real quality at a couple positions. Meaning: trade back 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. 

Additionally, I think we've all seen just how big injuries impact a good team's year and having depth at key positions helps insulate against that very issue. So, CB / WR / DT / DE and LB, all come to mind regarding the Draft. Then there's the elusive RB issue. They MUST get younger legs and picking up an extra 3rd, allows them to get a very good RB without giving up that depth. Just my 2 cents because 1st round does not guarantee you top tier playmaker - just the opportunity. The league is rife with tremendous players Drafted in the middle rounds and honestly - that's where real championships are built.

• Like (+1) 3

We have 7 day 3 picks. Another scenario is to move up from the 2nd to get 2 first round picks if there's someone there they really like before a drop off in talent. Value is nice, but our roster clearly needs game changing talent and unless Allen makes an enormous jump in year 2, we don't have that on either side of the ball right now.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1

we will definitely make some kind of trade, and prolly up into 1st or 2nd round, but we also need some special teams players, cuz ours suck.  i could see some young guys brought in and some of the garbage at the bottom of our roster getting sliced.

Definitely will be a trade up or two.  Not sure if it will be the first or second but it will occur no later than the second.  I also believe it will be trade to move back into a round.

3 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Three guys with some trade value that wouldn't be terribly missed are Zay Jones, Lawson, and Shady.  Lawson is based on us either signing Ziggy or drafting in the 1st for his replacement, and replace Shady with a 3rd round RB 

Lawson is really good against the run and on the cheap.  I dont see him getting traded.  You never know though.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think so. I wouldn’t say a good chance which is why I went elsewhere but either of those 2 would certainly be the pick.

At some point the value meets the risk. Simmons may be a top 5 talent in this draft. Obviously there are a few red flags but may be worth the dice roll. There are other options as well but I’d like to see him considered at that point.

I’ve been thinking about it a bit lately. I’ve played around with the draft pick calculator a little. Seems like a move back in the first with Washington to 15 would net us an extra 2nd rounder and a 4-5th. We might have to give up a 5th or so to really make it happen. But the team doing the trade up is the team that overpays. As we found out with Allen last year. 

With that said. I would live a trade back to 15. Draft Wilkins or Burns. Then package a deal with next years picks if possible to get back into the low 20s and pick the other, Wilkins or Burns. 

Then in the 2nd round go with Harry, AJ Brown, or Butler (in that order). 

if we managed to pull that off I think we would have completely fixed the DL and then the WR group this offseason for years to come. 

If we we still have a 3rd, go with the best TE or OL available (I have no idea who’s good here) but most likely we used that in the trade up scenario to the 1st. 

Same with the 4th round picks. Most likely used one in the trade but if available I’d go with the best OL available and then L.J. Scott RB out of Michigan State. 

After that im not sure if we’d have any picks available after our trade scenarios. But I would go with depth picks at either OL or LB. the only player that I’m aware of that I want in the late rounds would be Jacques Patrick, RB Florida St. this kid is a monster at 6’3”, 230+. Has really good speed for his size and actually seems to have good movement for his size as well. If I’m taking a flyer in a late round guy, RB is a good spot and this kid could prove some people wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

The team has historically been very fluid with the 2nd round picks. In fact, in recent years they have RARELY stayed still with their original pick and made a selection.

Much depends, I think, on where they see the sweet spot in this draft. If they see someone they like still on the board late in the 1st, they could package their 2 and 3 to move back into the 1st. They have done this sort of thing before (with John McCargo, for example, which turned out to be a mistake). Or, if they see plenty of starter-level depth in the 2nd round, for example, I could see them packaging their 3rd and one of the 4's to move up for an additional 2nd rounder.