Buffalo Bills 2018 MVP... Whitney Mercilus

10 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

No way to know who is right on this, but I think I'm right. 

Maybe it was having a chance to watch how Anderson ran things and prepared for a game.  Maybe it was having more time for film study.  Maybe it was being able to take a step back and look at the big picture instead of being caught up in the minutiae of weekly game preparation. Bottom line is that Josh Allen week 12 is a different QB than Josh Allen week 6.  The mental part of the game slowed down for him during those six weeks.  I don't know if that happens this season otherwise.

100% with you bud.  Throwing a raw rookie into the fire with a trash oline and no talent is the perfect way to ruin a player. The first 5 games he played gave him a feel, the next however many he sat let him evaluate what he absorbed, after that was his ascension.  The number of rookie qbs who have been ruined vs. the Roders/Mahomes isnt even close.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, CSBill said:

Good analysis, hard to argue it was not a good result in the end.

I would add, it was during those six weeks that Anderson and Barkley were added, throw into your reasoning that he finally had veteran mentors to help him in the mental side of the game, something he did not have before that.

what was the QB Coach doing ?  Why do we need a veteran QB to teach the mental aspect of the game!    Really beats me

4 minutes ago, ganesh said:

what was the QB Coach doing ?  Why do we need a veteran QB to teach the mental aspect of the game!    Really beats me

Nobody said need.  Having an experienced co-worker mentor you is not the same as having a direct boss.  

Side note, if tanking ever hits the NFL like hockey or basketball Peterman will get a 100m contract

I don't think the point of the thread is to call Mercilus a hero for his hit on Allen, but to suggest that circumstances worked out to the advantage of Buffalo and Allen in terms of his development.  I don't know that Allen would have developed in quite the same way last season without the injury, but I do think that he would still have had significant off season development (he still will) and he still would have had franchise QB potential.  There was an additional advantage gained by Buffalo.  It's not Anderson as he was signed before the injury, but had Allen not been injured, Anderson would not have played, Buffalo would not have signed Barkley, and we never would have learned that Barkley might be an outstanding back up QB.  Admittedly, Josh Allen's development toward greatness is not a sure thing, but I'm about as comfortable with Buffalo's QB situation as I could possibly be with a young starter.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/8/2019 at 9:11 AM, ganesh said:

Probably the same reason McDermott wants a veteran leader in every position group.

On 4/8/2019 at 9:10 AM, BillsMafia13 said:

100% with you bud.  Throwing a raw rookie into the fire with a trash oline and no talent is the perfect way to ruin a player. The first 5 games he played gave him a feel, the next however many he sat let him evaluate what he absorbed, after that was his ascension.  The number of rookie qbs who have been ruined vs. the Roders/Mahomes isnt even close.  

You can't ruin a QB unless he suffers a career ending or destroying injury.  Any QB who was "ruined" never had it to begin with.  You can blame all the ruined QBs on 1 thing-bad scouting.  The "ruined" guy should have never been drafted where he was.   Nobody ruined JP, EJ or any QB who doesn't use his 1st name.  Teams reach for QBs, then the coach puts them in when their lack of NFL ability is exposed sooner rather than later.  JP sat his rookie year and it didn't work out so good.  EJ started his rookie year & the coach saw enough to know he didn't have it.  Either way, the Bills reached in both cases just as many GMs have done over the years & then fans blame the coaches instead of the GM & scouts who drafted the bum.  

On 4/9/2019 at 11:34 AM, Albany,n.y. said:

You can't ruin a QB unless he suffers a career ending or destroying injury.  Any QB who was "ruined" never had it to begin with.  You can blame all the ruined QBs on 1 thing-bad scouting.  The "ruined" guy should have never been drafted where he was.   Nobody ruined JP, EJ or any QB who doesn't use his 1st name.  Teams reach for QBs, then the coach puts them in when their lack of NFL ability is exposed sooner rather than later.  JP sat his rookie year and it didn't work out so good.  EJ started his rookie year & the coach saw enough to know he didn't have it.  Either way, the Bills reached in both cases just as many GMs have done over the years & then fans blame the coaches instead of the GM & scouts who drafted the bum.  

There are absolutely scenarios where a qb going to a different team/situation would have changed the qbs career path.  Not saying they would turn in HOF'ers but if you dont think orgs, coaches, environment doesnt play a factor in your first year at the most difficult position in sports you're kidding yourself.  No player is "destined" to become anything

• Thank you (+1) 1