Fred Slacks

Rewatched last season’s games and these are some observations

10 hours ago, offyourocker said:

I think Zay will surpass a 1000 yards next year

In the naked hallway sprint? 

• Haha (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Fred Slacks said:

All valid. I realize it can easily go both ways. But we were close in those games. 

On the other hand we got beat handily by the Ravens, Chargers, Green Bay, and Chicago. 

Ahem, aren’t you forgetting something?  Neither NE game was competitive.  Until that changes, this team’s not going anywhere.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

I think Zay last year was working against opponents first and second corners. This year he will be matched against third and fourth corners. I think we will see a big difference. 

You make a good point as he won’t be on the field as much.  Daboll plays a lot of 12 personnel, so we’ll have if we can draft one of the top 3 TE’s, there will be less WR’s on the field.  Brown and Foster as well as Beasley will be the top 3, not in that order necessarily, so Jones is going to be in more when in 11 personnel, a single back so we have 4 wides in on the play.  He’ll probably contribute more in special teams.

4 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Daboll plays a lot of 12 personnel, 

Let’s hope the refs don’t notice...

• Haha (+1) 5

10 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

Yes he is. Zay had a fluky 7 TDs but even in his best games, see at Miami, he had critical drops. I was always baffled by a trade up in the draft for a receiver with no outstanding qualities and his best quality in college, his hands, are even suspect. 

"Fluky 7 TDs" is something I'll never get tired of reading. 

How can something that happened 7 times be a fluke?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, BritBill said:

"Fluky 7 TDs" is something I'll never get tired of reading. 

How can something that happened 7 times be a fluke?

that was my first thought too.  how can 7 tds be "fluky"?    not to say zay doesn't need to show significant improvement in his game, but some people try too hard to discount any good that may have actually occurred with this team.  zay improved considerably from year one to year two.  that's what we needed to see.  

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 6

Just now, teef said:

that was my first thought too.  how can 7 tds be "fluky"?    not to say zay doesn't need to show significant improvement in his game, but some people try too hard to discount any good that may have actually occurred with this team.  zay improved considerably from year one to year two.  that's what we needed to see.  

I concur. I'm not Jones's biggest fan but to knock his TD output for last year seems odd. 

When I read he had 7 TDs I was flabbergasted. With the receivers and TE ( I suspect we'll see a TE early in the draft too) brought in over free agency he'll do well to match that next season even if his catch % and yards increase. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Ahem, aren’t you forgetting something?  Neither NE game was competitive.  Until that changes, this team’s not going anywhere.

First NE game was competitive only cause our defense kept us in the game. It did slip away quickly in the 4th. But yes the second NE game is a main reason why I feel our defense still has a long ways to go. 

22 minutes ago, Fred Slacks said:

First NE game was competitive only cause our defense kept us in the game. It did slip away quickly in the 4th. But yes the second NE game is a main reason why I feel our defense still has a long ways to go. 

Patriots offensive line had their way with our front 7 that game.

Like I said need Edmunds and Star to step up this year and they need to add a few more pieces to it on top of that.

• Like (+1) 2

If we can stop the run, and if someone besides Hughes starts pressuring QBs- we will have a top defensive unit.  Turnovers, field position, and big plays will be benefits of adding quality DT and Edge

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Good post. To nitpick though, I definitely disagree about Zay Jones. 

Jones is bad in my opinion and I think this regime is starting to lose faith in him.

I think that is a big reason they added Duke, Beasley, and Brown

Competition is motivation !! 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I agree that ST's was bad and put us in bad positions......good teams win games where ST's mistakes are made.

No offense but I'm tired of people saying stuff like this. It sounds great but it's really just a cliche.

Games are often decided on single event. Especially late in the game. A special team player fumbling or muffing a punt can easily change the outcome. Bad calls by refs also often change the result. The roughing the passer call on Brady against the Chiefs changed that game's out come. Sometimes the margin of victory is so small in this league that a single event or call of the ref can determine the outcome. 

The OP is correct in that ST's cost us games last year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, teef said:

And he had an 8th td reception that he fumbled at the goal line and Croom recovered for the TD. Not that fumbling at the goal line is to his credit. :)

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

No offense but I'm tired of people saying stuff like this. It sounds great but it's really just a cliche.

Games are often decided on single event. Especially late in the game. A special team player fumbling or muffing a punt can easily change the outcome. Bad calls by refs also often change the result. The roughing the passer call on Brady against the Chiefs changed that game's out come. Sometimes the margin of victory is so small in this league that a single event or call of the ref can determine the outcome. 

The OP is correct in that ST's cost us games last year.

And you can easily find that "single event" somewhere else in the game.......

The Patriots have made special teams mistakes.......do they lose games because of them.

I have the film on that game and will go back and re watch it.....I am willing to bet I can find at least 5 plays that are not special teams that decided that outcome.

13 hours ago, Dopey said:

Kelvin Benjamin,  Jeremy Kerley Andre Holmes, Rod Streater, Brandon Reilly, Robert Foster, Quan Bray, Malachi Dupre, Ray-Ray McCloud, Cam Phillips, Austin Proehl, Kaelin Clay.

family guy GIF

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, mannc said:

Let’s hope the refs don’t notice...

Manc- 12 personnel means two TE’s set, vs. 11 personnel is a three WR set, and 10 personnel is a 4 WR set.

I hope that helps.

• Like (+1) 1

Nice post, OP, and I agree (unscientifically) with most if not all your assessments.

I thought our #2 defensive ranking was overblown. I saw the defense frequently being gashed up the middle on runs. I saw especially competent offenses (Patriots) have their way with us. We showed well in the second game but eventually, like always, they wore us down and ran away with it. However I feel the defense is close; would love to see a monster 3-tech DL or another stud edge rusher, although I believe the interior lineman is the greater need.

This isn't to say the defense was trash; it's difficult to diagnose because the offense was incompetent for the first half of the season, blips (@Vikings) notwithstanding. I think the defense is better by default because the offense (hopefully) is much better, same with special teams as you pointed out. Being better than the 2018 Bills' Offensive Line/Special Teams is a low bar to hurdle, I will jump the gun here and say "mission accomplished".

The Peterman thing will always be a head scratcher and a source of concern regarding McDermott, however I've come to accept that he must the world's greatest teammate and is a positive presence in the QB room. I'm not being sarcastic when I say this, he had other teams at least look at him (Raiders still have him, and Lions took a flyer). It says alot about AJ McCarron; he must not have been helpful to the other QBs at all, I think Beane had a quote (paraphrasing) "he was not who we expected".

The homer optimism I have every year genuinely feels different this year. With what I believe are two fairly successful drafts under the regime's belt, I'm really looking forward to part 3.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Fred Slacks said:

I personally don’t think he is amazing. I just don’t think he is as bad as he has been made out to be. Also with where they played him last season (on the perimeter and in the slot I really think they have confidence in him. He’s a movable piece and understands his responsibilities. But Robert Foster I think has a bigger role this coming season. I just think with Beasly and Brown that Zay is still in their top 4 WR’s. 

But we we can agree to disagree. It will be interesting to see how this off-season shakes out. It wouldn’t shock me if they draft a WR. I just think they draft a TE higher than WR. My personal feelings obviously. I’ve been wrong a lot in life. Lol

Worth noting that Zay Jones played in 88.9% of the offensive snaps last season. The next closest were Robert Foster (42%) and Kelvin Benjamin (48%). 

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, SoTier said:

Okay, dude, what did you do that was so bad that you had to do a penance this bad?????

Sunday sitting around and my wife and kids wanted nothing to do with me. They were still on my dvr so I just started from the beginning. I’ll admit there was a couple times I dosed off. Sunday naps are the best!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Manc- 12 personnel means two TE’s set, vs. 11 personnel is a three WR set, and 10 personnel is a 4 WR set.

I hope that helps.

More succinctly stated, the first digit is # of RBs and the second digit is # of TEs in the formation.  "11" is 1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WRs.  "22" is 2 RB, 2 TE, 1 WR. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Fred Slacks said:

Sunday sitting around and my wife and kids wanted nothing to do with me. They were still on my dvr so I just started from the beginning. I’ll admit there was a couple times I dosed off. Sunday naps are the best!

this sounds heavenly.  

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Fred Slacks said:

Did you forget to shower?

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Did you forget to shower?

I never forget to shower.  As I grow older I realized I sleep better if I just give in.  Sometimes I will brush my teeth in the evening around 8:30 or 9:00 just in case I fall asleep watching tv with the Mrs.  That way I just roll off the couch and walk straight to my bed.  Boom!

On 4/8/2019 at 1:55 PM, eball said:

More succinctly stated, the first digit is # of RBs and the second digit is # of TEs in the formation.  "11" is 1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WRs.  "22" is 2 RB, 2 TE, 1 WR. 

Youre so much more eloquent than me eball.  Just kidding if that helps people.