Rewatched last season’s games and these are some observations

On points 2, 3 and 4...

You're right about the defense. If we score more points, other teams will be less conservative and we'll be nowhere near #2 in 2019 without a dominant DL. I sincerely hope that we go DT & DE in the 1st round (by trading back up into the 1st again). Our DL is weak, I also hope the coaches ride Edmunds and toughen him up. He has to learn to love hitting. I don't care if he costs us a couple personal fouls. The kid just isn't mean enough to play MLB. He needs to spend an offseason doing attitude adjustment with Dick Butkus.

I think Kroft is going to have his best season to date. He's not great, but I think he's been a bit hidden behind Uzomah and Eiffert. He'll get a chance to be the #1 guy this year and as he did when given more chances in Cincinnati, take another step upward. Call it a hunch.

Our OL is not now dominant. Far from it. However, we went from somewhere around 26-32 in ranking to somewhere around 10-15. That's quite an improvement and I think it will show. I'm looking for another 1,000 season from Shady now. I think that, more than anything else, will help Allen to progress.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Thats right now now.  Im talking what I think he will do next season.

Bold prediction you have. I can’t see him having close to those numbers. Wouldn’t even be surprised if he gets cut from the Bills if he has a bad camp

On 4/11/2019 at 9:53 PM, ColoradoBills said:

Zay has been up and down.  This needs to be a good year for him. 

I wonder how the improved competition will affect him.

I see a lot of rotation in the WRs this year especially early.  Let JA find out who he works best with.

I can see Foster and Brown rotating and spelling each other.  It would put pressure on the CB/FS.

Well said Colorado.  If we get Hockinson, he would be in the mix as well especially in the Red Zone.

On 4/7/2019 at 8:44 PM, Southern Bills Fan said:

I think Zay last year was working against opponents first and second corners. This year he will be matched against third and fourth corners. I think we will see a big difference. 

I hope you're right, but who are the first and second guys gonna be covering?

On 4/8/2019 at 6:14 AM, mannc said:

Ahem, aren’t you forgetting something?  Neither NE game was competitive.  Until that changes, this team’s not going anywhere.

This is actually one of the most concerning things to me.   Losing is one thing, getting spanked is something else.

And we have had Some Spankings at the hands of good to meh teams.

On 4/7/2019 at 8:11 PM, Jpsredemption said:

Yes he is. Zay had a fluky 7 TDs but even in his best games, see at Miami, he had critical drops. I was always baffled by a trade up in the draft for a receiver with no outstanding qualities and his best quality in college, his hands, are even suspect. 

I think the answer to your bafflement are a lame-duck GM who wasn't being allowed to make draft day decisions, and Zay's college WR coach who is no longer with team but was when he was drafted.

On 4/7/2019 at 8:48 PM, BillsFan130 said:

Good post. To nitpick though, I definitely disagree about Zay Jones. 

Jones is bad in my opinion and I think this regime is starting to lose faith in him.

I think that is a big reason they added Duke, Beasley, and Brown

Respectfully disagree. He showed flashes and was in a terrible offensive situation. Tyrod, Peterman, a rookie Allen with no chemistry. 

He was also likely considered our best WR by opposing defenses and just struggled being the guy on offense. I expect much improved play , he showed enough glimpses for me and will be considered 3rd or 4th WR, where I can see him really excelling. The talent is definitely there, it's just finding consistentcy.

I don't believe Bills Brass has lost any faith in him. He was just in the wrong role. 

But if Duke or whoever outplay him, then so be it.

16 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Respectfully disagree. He showed flashes and was in a terrible offensive situation. Tyrod, Peterman, a rookie Allen with no chemistry. 

He was also likely considered our best WR by opposing defenses and just struggled being the guy on offense. I expect much improved play , he showed enough glimpses for me and will be considered 3rd or 4th WR, where I can see him really excelling. The talent is definitely there, it's just finding consistentcy.

I don't believe Bills Brass has lost any faith in him. He was just in the wrong role. 

But if Duke or whoever outplay him, then so be it.

Out of curiosity, what role do you think Zay is going to have going into this year?

The Bills gave him a chance to be the #2 receiver his rookie year and he failed. Gave him a chance to be a slot receiver last year and he failed/is getting replaced by Cole Beasley.

I just don't see a scenario where Zay gets a ton of playing time. That is IF he even makes the team. (I think he will but not a lock by any means)

33 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Out of curiosity, what role do you think Zay is going to have going into this year?

The Bills gave him a chance to be the #2 receiver his rookie year and he failed. Gave him a chance to be a slot receiver last year and he failed/is getting replaced by Cole Beasley.

I just don't see a scenario where Zay gets a ton of playing time. That is IF he even makes the team. (I think he will but not a lock by any means)

I see him having a much lesser role , I'd say #4 WR behind Foster/Brown/Beasly. 

Gives Dabol a ton of flexibility , he does like going 5 wide alot . 

It's all about matchups , I think Zay needs to be matched with a teams 3rd/4th CB and he will excel. I don't see any benefit to cutting him and he's only going into year 3 , it wouldn't be shocking to see him make a leap and that'd be a great problem to have as far as playing time. 

11 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I see him having a much lesser role , I'd say #4 WR behind Foster/Brown/Beasly. 

Gives Dabol a ton of flexibility , he does like going 5 wide alot . 

It's all about matchups , I think Zay needs to be matched with a teams 3rd/4th CB and he will excel. I don't see any benefit to cutting him and he's only going into year 3 , it wouldn't be shocking to see him make a leap and that'd be a great problem to have as far as playing time. 

Fair points. I would agree with all of that

On 4/7/2019 at 5:48 PM, BillsFan130 said:

Good post. To nitpick though, I definitely disagree about Zay Jones. 

Jones is bad in my opinion and I think this regime is starting to lose faith in him.

I think that is a big reason they added Duke, Beasley, and Brown

I think Zay has a shot to be a pretty good WR. He bounced back from a historically bad rookie year to show that at the very worst he can play in the league. WR's now seem to take a few years to get going so I think in year three for him to have a mini-breakout is possible. 

I do agree that McBeane doesn't have faith in him. They brought in a lot of competition and he will get no favors competing against Foster and whomever they bring in via the draft. But I still think that they feel like Zay can be a part of the team just that they aren't counting on his progression. 

12 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think Zay has a shot to be a pretty good WR. He bounced back from a historically bad rookie year to show that at the very worst he can play in the league. WR's now seem to take a few years to get going so I think in year three for him to have a mini-breakout is possible. 

I do agree that McBeane doesn't have faith in him. They brought in a lot of competition and he will get no favors competing against Foster and whomever they bring in via the draft. But I still think that they feel like Zay can be a part of the team just that they aren't counting on his progression. 

This kind of hyperbole is probably why you have such a poor sense of Zay's outlook going into next season.  He is a lock to make the team.  He just is.  If you genuinely think he had a historically bad rookie year-which is just objectively untrue-it makes sense you would think he may not make the team.  But he didn't, and its why you can't see why he is an obvious lock to make the team. 

We lost by double digits 7 times.

We lost by 20 5 times

Not that close. This is the NFL. Many games are close and teams dont really get blown out as much as you would think. Many many games could have been won by either team. The Pat's can win a super bowl and still have 5+ games that are within a TD. Good teams win more close games than they lose. Bad teams lose more close games. 

• Like (+1) 1